Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I have a bad smell that I can't get rid of and it's coming from my a/c (fresh and recycled air).

I've had my air and cabin air filters replaced. I even sprayed lysol in the vents under the hood...and it that would only last a day or so. I think I may have a deeper problem.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Check the drain for the condensate. If it's partially (or worse, fully!) plugged you'll get standing water in the pan and it will STINK. It can also overflow and flood into the passenger compartment, and then it will REALLY stink.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I'm dealing with this same issue. I've brought it to the dealer 3x for this issue and they always come up with... Can't replicate...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm dealing with this same issue. I've brought it to the dealer 3x for this issue and they always come up with... Can't replicate...

Make SURE they document WHY you brought it in and give you a copy of the write up.
Dealers like to not make it "official" if they don't do any actual work so you don't have any Lemon Law ammunition against them if you decide to file with a Lemon Law attorney.

·
Registered
704 Posts
The first time they used "deodorizer"
Second and 3rd times couldn't replicate. And all 3 have been documented.

What ticks me off the most Is the service advisor stating... When your coming up to your destination.. Approx 1-2 miles away.. turn off the ac and switch to fresh air. That should alleviate your problem. Wtf? I should be able to use my ac however I want and not have to turn it off before getting to my destination.

I work nights, so going into work I do have my ac on all the way... Driving home at 4am.. It's on fresh air.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Joeboy
Agree that the first thing to check is the drain.
You could remove the blower and gain access to the evaporator and try to clean it in place.
Spray vinegar, let it sit for a while and then hose it down with hot water at the same rate it drains out.
I did that many years ago on a Mazda 626 I had, that vehicle had no electronic components in there, not sure what's in yours.

Toy4x, your vehicle is still under warranty so in your case, I'll just keep bugging the dealer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for input everyone! I'm taking it into the dealer next week! I've had great experiences with them in the past.

They know me pretty well actually. LOL...I brought my car in for a wheel bearing noise and it turned out i needed a new transmission...got that done. While I had a dealership loaner...I was rear ended by a moving truck and it caused about 7k in damages to the dealership car!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Standing water in the condensation line will definitely cause an odor. Worse, it invites mold and mildew to cultivate as well, which can become a health hazard if it builds up. Definitely get the line checked and most definitely have them document your complaint and their resolution.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What ticks me off the most Is the service advisor stating... When your coming up to your destination.. Approx 1-2 miles away.. turn off the ac and switch to fresh air. That should alleviate your problem. Wtf? I should be able to use my ac however I want and not have to turn it off before getting to my destination.
The tech is correct, except I only do this about a half mile from my destination.

This is EXACTLY what I do with my cars and NEVER have any A/C smell.
Doing this drys out your vent ducts from the condensation from running the A/C and helps prevent mold from growing in them which causes the smell.
You only need to do this if you're using the A/C. not just having the fan blowing in the outside air.

It's not that much of an inconvenience as the air is still on the cool side when you do this from the A/C being on and you're only in the car for a minute or two without the A/C, small price to pay for no odor!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm having a very similar issue with my 2014 6 and was wondering where the condensate drain actually is to check? I'm not sure where to start looking.

Also, after some researching, it seems some mold might actually be my issue. Is there any good way to go about tackling this? Should I take it into the shop?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm in the same boat. If I run my a/c for a while and shut it off I get a stinky interior when I run the hvac system next. Where is this drain and pan? I'd like to check them out.

It's a bit ridiculous to have to run outside air before shutting the car off. I've got a 23 year old Ranger with over 400k miles and 21 year old Integra pushing that mark that I've run the A/C all day without having to think about this before. Surely a car as new as my 2014 6 has a better design??

·
Registered
352 Posts
Okay, so the A/C didn't get a lot of use over the winter, but with warmer temps arriving I decided to look a little further into this. I found a great thread over at mazdas247.com where the OP addresses this same issue on a 2016 CX5. My 2014 was identical and I followed his walkthrough exactly, but also be sure to see the last post.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123856340-Unclog-a-c-drain-and-remove-musty-smell-easily

Basically, you locate and remove the rubber evaporator drain line from inside the passenger side footwell. Be sure to catch any condensation potentially still in the system when you unplug though, otherwise you'll get water inside the cabin! Shoot some compressed air through both barbs (towards the bottom of the car drain port and up towards the evaporator). Then use a can of this stuff, you can get it at O'Reilly's locally or Amazon for the same price: [ame]https://www.amazon.com/Lubegard-96030-Evaporator-Heater-Cleaner/dp/B0007PHD0S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1523668140&sr=8-1&keywords=kool+it[/ame]

and shoot it up towards the evaporator. Reattach the rubber drain line and let the kool-it foam up and do its thing for about 15 minutes. Then start the car and run the a/c at low for 5 minutes.

I did all this and any hint of a musty smell is gone. Unfortunately, it has been replaced with a very distinct chemical smell inside the car. It's slowly dissipating (or I'm getting used to it, lol), but I'll take this over the mustiness. I'll give it some time before I give my final judgement on this. Still, for less than $20 (including a can of compressed air) this is worth a shot.

·
Registered
352 Posts
As a final follow-up, it's been a week and the chemical smell is totally gone. I've run the A/C several times with zero funkiness in the cabin. I'd say this stuff works as advertised and I'm happy with the result.

Interesting on how I've never had this issue on any other car I've owned over the years. Even an 96 Integra with 396,000 miles and a 94 Ranger with 411,000 miles (although its ac crapped out at 380,000). I reckon it's just a design flaw with the Mazda. I'll turn the A/C off on the 6 a while before getting home to make sure its dried out and turn it to outside air. Sucks it needs this extra step, but oh well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts