Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be nice and link this very large image instead of just posting it directly. So, click this sentence. Or this one. Or this one.

My wife's Camry has a huge, very deep scratch in it. It extends ~7" along the body of the car and 3" into the taillight. On the taillight, there is light but large scuffing above the scratch. In the picture, it looks like glare, but it is scuffing.

Any idea what could have caused this? A car in our parking lot was recently keyed- the whole thing. Rumor from another neighbor is that the police caught a group of youngsters (10-12y old) who did it. I'd think my wife's car was also victom to a keying, except that doesn't explain the scuff (which might simply be a coincidence). I'd like to get some ideas before I call the insurance company.

My wife is a student and usually gets back from medical school before all the day job workers do, so she usually gets the first parking spot in the lot. It's next to a handicapped parking spot with a ramp to the sidewalk, making it a high-traffic area for kids on bikes. My going theory now is that a kid crashed into the car on his/her bike.

Any other ideas? I don't think it could have been caused by a car. I'd like to prepare myself before calling the insurance company. Different causes mean different detuctable $$$ amounts.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Reading Topic: Bad scratch on my wife's car

and yes, I realize the car does need to be waxed. If it wasn't raining right now, I'd be waxing right now instead of posting here.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

Hard to say. If it had been something from another car the scratch would not change in height that much... If it had been keyed I don't think it would have been such a deep scrach in the light... Imagine draging a key over that... When you get at the edge of the metal theres a little "jump" to the light... Hard to see how someone would continue to drag the key after that... But.... If I had to choose between the two I would say key/hard object.

Whoever done it can't have done it without noticeing it...

To bad on the car... My condolances :(

·
Registered
2,398 Posts

ouch! my car was keyed already on the hood. I have a steel grey and it is hardly noticable on the hood. It is definatly not that deep!

·
Registered
683 Posts

hmmm you say alot of 10-12 year old kids? do they have or ride bikes (bmx) around there? That looks almost exactly like the scratch I put in my dads Grand Prix, when i wiped out riding too close to the side of his car with my bike..... i tipped over and the very edge of the handlebars gouged a scratch just like that one on the rear quarter panel and part of the tail light.. if i would have had the regular handle grips on the bike it probably wouldnt have gouged so deep, ,but i didnt...and the hollow end of the handlebar just cut into the paint and plastic

·
Registered
391 Posts

Probably a key. That's what some people or maybe even kids did it. But it's probably a key.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

That's a key mark. I've seen them so often I could recognize them in sleep.

You have a neighbour or a friend who's jealous about your cars. Kids often do the marks lower. That's a grown-up who's held the key just out of his pocket.

Notice I said "his". Never heard of any girls behaving like that.

Shame. It's a shame.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

God help the individual that tries that on my car (if I catch him.)

·
Registered
76 Posts

that really sucks, but my guess is kids keyed it. Unless your wife pissid of somebody lately.

I would call the police and get a repot on it.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

Last time I called a police for break-in of my car (not M6 :hoho); they took the finger print and that's it. I don't think there's anything police can do thoese stupid kids who keyed your car.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

Am I the only one that saw stretch's reflection and was unable to focus on the car? :D

That is definately a key scratch, no doubt about it. My crown vic was keyed a while ago, and it looked exactly the same.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Well, since this thread made its way to the top again, here's an update:

I found out who keyed my neighbor's van. I got his police report, and he told me it was a 7 and a 9 year old. Sheesh! Anyway, there was a witness to the van keying, and so the police were allowed to question the kids and they eventually got a confession.

The owner of the van found the scratch on my wife's car the very same day, between rainstorms, with fresh paint chips that had yet fallen. It was fairly obviously done at the same time. The cars were parked very near each other.

However, since I don't have a witness for my car, the police can't accuse the kids since they are minors. I need a witness or a confession, and truthfully, it's not worth any additional hassle. I'm tired of dealing with this and our robbery. I'm repairing the scratch myself with touch-up paint, and while it looks terrible, it's also free.

My wife and I are giving in to the fact that nothing can protect us from this evil neighborhood.

My neighbor (the one with the van) shared all kinds of horror stories with me. He must of showed me a dozen deliberate scratches on his other vehicles, which he washes and waxes regularly. He's a car guy too. He even said that a guy took his kid to our parking lot once (from another neighborhood) to play baseball, and that the hardball actually slammed into some cars a few times.

I'd of killed the guy.

Oh, and Phrosted- my reflection would now clearly focus on the car. It recently got its first (and second) coat of wax, ever. The car braved the winter and about 10 consecutive rainy weekends before I could put the stuff on.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Stretchsje,

I have a thought on the repair, there are touch up paint pens that really help with things like this, b/c you obviously can be more precise in terms of paint application. But the real help may come form this stuff I posted about earlier, www.langka.com, basically can smooth out touchup paint. I haven’t tried it, but it looks good and I’ve heard good things about it. Its not going to be perfect, but I hope it helps. Sorry to hear about that.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts

I have really bad scratches on my front bumper and a ding on the roof to match. It sucks having a dark color car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts