Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It started off as a low toned creak sound not that loud when turning the steering wheel, moving or parked makes the same sound with vibration through the steering wheel.. Ive checked the power steering fluid and level is fine.. Did the telescoping wheel thing every other day thinking it was lubricating the steering column as ive read that this may help.. It is only getting worse now.. In the mornings it doesnt make the noise, when driving for more than 10 minutes, noise gets louder and louder.. Could it be my rack and pinion..? Steering column..? Any suggestions..? Thanks to all in advance for your help and support.. :cheers:

·
Registered
859 Posts
Check the TSB for the "super grease" compound to be applied to the telescoping spline.

·
Registered
859 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, i finally got around to greasing up the spline on the steering wheel shaft hoping that it would get rid of the noices being made but unfortunately that wasnt the problem.. Im beggining to think the problem is with my front struts.. I sat on the driver side corner of the hood, no noise.. I sat on the passenger side corner, it makes the same exact sound as if i was turning the wheel at low speeds when driving.. I lift the car up and see oil and grime all over the passenger side strut/shock which leads me to believe that all the oil has leaked out and now i need new shocks.. What are good reliable shocks out on the market that i would be able to use on my 2004 Mazda 6i..?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm not trying to be a wiseguy but here's what I'd do. You don't mention the mileage but I'm guessing if the car's a 2004 you've got like 80,000 miles on it.

So ask yourself this question--how much longer do I plan on keeping it? Before I'd spend $1500 on replacement shocks and steering components, I'd drive it another year and trade the car in.

Your car is probably worth no more than $5,000 trade, maybe--MAYBE--$7,500 retail. Why invest a lot of money in it?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm not trying to be a wiseguy but here's what I'd do. You don't mention the mileage but I'm guessing if the car's a 2004 you've got like 80,000 miles on it.

So ask yourself this question--how much longer do I plan on keeping it? Before I'd spend $1500 on replacement shocks and steering components, I'd drive it another year and trade the car in.

Your car is probably worth no more than $5,000 trade, maybe--MAYBE--$7,500 retail. Why invest a lot of money in it?
Car just reached 100K last week, it hasnt gave me any issues in the time that we've had it and its not a good time for another payment or that would be exactly what i would do.. My girl and I just bought a house, where getting married in Feb. and she just started her Masters journey along with her Credentials, that shit is expensive..!! So we have to keep this car moving, its whats getting her to school and work..

·
Registered
2005 Mazda 6s Wagon 5M
3 Posts
Wassup yall. I gat a 2005 mazda 6 wagon. V6 5 speed manual. So far after reading the comments, i have seen someone recommend Detroit axle. Their prices are really good compared to dealer (see below) 🥶🥶. So who has it installed and how is the car at the moment?

Side question, how rare are the wagons in my spec above. Ps white paint tanish cloth interior.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts