Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, i turned on my heater today and this bad odor came out of the air ducts. has anyone experienced this?
does the cabin air filter have anything to do with this?

let me know peeps!

·
Registered
799 Posts
yup, try changing out your filter. mine does the same but I have been too lazy to swap it out.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Well I've had dead moths and wasps in my filter and the dead bodies reaked pretty bad!! :(

·
Registered
51 Posts
Like they said could be a dirty or moldy air filter. Moisture could build up in there to causing a a musty smell from mold in the fan area itself. I would pull the air filter and check it out good. If you do find mold a mild bleach mixture and rag should end those problems. Mild=a few tablespoons to a quart of water, otherwise you get rid of the musty smell for a strong chlorine smell.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey Juicy, did you have the same problem? its really wierd for me coz i never had this problem with my protege and my p5 before. had my p5 for 3 years and never changed the filter and never had this problem.

thanks for the suggestion, i'll try that right away.

·
Registered
59 Posts
hey Juicy, did you have the same problem? its really wierd for me coz i never had this problem with my protege and my p5 before. had my p5 for 3 years and never changed the filter and never had this problem.

thanks for the suggestion, i'll try that right away.
[/b]

The Protoge's did not have a cabin air filter.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Until you get your hands on a replacement filter, a little Febreze sprayed into the ducts can go a long way.

Had a similiar problem when I ran the heat for the first time after the summer months in my '05 Pilot. After letting my car sit with the heater running at full blast for 20 minutes, the smell was gone. But in that case, the car was pretty new (read: not due for a cabin filter) and there was no evidence of any critters in the vehicle or ducts.

·
Registered
2017 MZ6 GT Jet Black Mica
3,570 Posts
I have run my AC almost constantly since I got my car June 1. It's either running through the vents, or in the Defrost mode when it comes on automatically. Today when I turned on the defroster, I got this weird smell. I remember in my old PT Cruiser, this nasty stench used to come out of the vents when I put the AC on that smelled like mold. Someone told me that it was because of moisture building up in the air ducts and causing mildew in there. YUCK!

I am going to say something to the dealer next time I go in only because my car is 5mos. old with about 10k on it right now. They should be able to fix it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts