Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my car for about 3 months with 6,000 miles. Only mod I have is an AEM CAI which I installed ages ago (around 1-2k miles on the odo) I also restarted the ecu using by d/c the battery. So my assumption is that it had time to "relearn." However no matter what I do it seems I'm around the 18-19mpg range. I've done a few all highway runs doing about 70-80 mph (i know not the best milage, but still using cruise control). I've also done a few mixed driving and very very aggressive driving. They all go about 19mpg. I was wondering if there might be a problem, alot of people seem to be getting atleast low 20s with mixed driving, I can't even do that with all highway. The wierd thing is one tank I just got pissed off and drove like a raped rabbit for most of the tank and somehow managed like 21 mpg, so I was really confused. I live in California if that really makes any difference.

I mean I don't really mind, maybe It's just my driving habit...would just be nice to not have to go to a damn gas station like every few days.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After reading a few pages, I don't see anyone stating the difference between why people are getting pure poo for mileage, and people that get good mileage. =(

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
After reading a few pages, I don't see anyone stating the difference between why people are getting pure poo for mileage, and people that get good mileage. =(
[/b]
Could be many reasons from fuel quality to driving habits to change in weather/temp.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True, but most generally you would think that people doing 100% highway runs with a tank would be around the same.

All I know is that...between Summer and now, I've gotten that same damn mileage. I've tried different fuels, I've tried different driving habits.

O well, maybe the gas gremlins will get the heck out of my car =(

·
Registered
315 Posts
well I'm all city mainly and I average a meager 15mpg, so I can't comment I'd love to see 19mpg :(. I love that turbo though :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
I just got my car, but my last avg. was 16.5 mpg first was 17.7... Never owned a car like this b4 and love that turbo spoooling. Hope it (I) gets better soon because I'm coming from a Accord that averaged 24- my best of 36 and arn't used to going to the pump every week. I put in bp 93 octane.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I've gotten pretty consistant mpg since I got the car, maybe I'll reset the ecu again, but I heard it takes a few cycles to "relearn" but I guess it can't be any worse.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
The mileage is bad pretty much. The fact is that this is a car that begs to be driven hard. Yeah, some around here will post that they are getting 26mpg with mostly city driving but they must be driving like old ladies.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
The mileage is bad pretty much. The fact is that this is a car that begs to be driven hard. Yeah, some around here will post that they are getting 26mpg with mostly city driving but they must be driving like old ladies.
[/b]
I find that the car gets worse gas mileage when driven like a blue-haired old lady.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I find that the car gets worse gas mileage when driven like a blue-haired old lady.
[/b]
I just got my car too (~1k mi) and I've been getting about 16.5 with a mix of hwy and city driving. A couple tanks I tried to drive like an old lady but it's too tough to resist the turbo, so I guess I'll never know what I could really get. Here's hoping for 19 someday......

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
On a positive note, my MS6 gets better gas mileage than my 6s does, but for some reason, with 33K miles on it, my 6s is starting to get gas mileage increase.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
On a positive note, my MS6 gets better gas mileage than my 6s does, but for some reason, with 33K miles on it, my 6s is starting to get gas mileage increase.
[/b]
Right which is the point I was going to post. These Cars are new.....yuo have to give it time to break in...I bet once the MS6 hits around 40K miles the gas milage will most likely improve...Also it's not good to fill er up, as in it retards the gas guage...

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Right which is the point I was going to post. These Cars are new.....yuo have to give it time to break in...I bet once the MS6 hits around 40K miles the gas milage will most likely improve...Also it's not good to fill er up, as in it retards the gas guage...
[/b]
yeah, but as winter goes on, it's not good to have a gas tank with less than half tank of gas.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bleh seriously, driving this car like an old lady does not save anymore gas than driving it rather hard, I've tried a few tanks of ALL old lady status driving...perhaps 1 sec of a blip of the gas, but that surely cannot be 1 gal per sec haha. Anyways I think I'll just keep driving it like a raped monkey, if I can't get good mileage driving it like an old lady, than I'll drive it like I stole it, and still get the same damn mpg =(

but seriously there must be something else or something going on...

can't be the reflash can it?

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
bleh seriously, driving this car like an old lady does not save anymore gas than driving it rather hard, I've tried a few tanks of ALL old lady status driving...perhaps 1 sec of a blip of the gas, but that surely cannot be 1 gal per sec haha. Anyways I think I'll just keep driving it like a raped monkey, if I can't get good mileage driving it like an old lady, than I'll drive it like I stole it, and still get the same damn mpg =(

but seriously there must be something else or something going on...

can't be the reflash can it?
[/b]
Nah people here have said that the reflash is supposed to improve the gas milage...., others said there is no difference.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Nah people here have said that the reflash is supposed to improve the gas milage...., others said there is no difference.
[/b]
The reflash doesn't improve gas mileage. It's probably the fact that they get the reflash towards the end of the break in period and gas mileage is improving.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I personally can't wait until Cobb releases their Accessport for our cars, that way we can lean out the fuel a little bit, and hopefully they'll come with preloaded fuel ecomony maps like they do for Subies.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I personally can't wait until Cobb releases their Accessport for our cars, that way we can lean out the fuel a little bit, and hopefully they'll come with preloaded fuel ecomony maps like they do for Subies.
[/b]
Street Unit lists that there will be a few preloaded maps.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts