Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as titled

can bad cabin air filter (old, dirty, fallen apart) cause poor ac performance?

i believe that the 05 6s i just bought has a 6-year-old cabin air filter. it was filled with debris, dust, leaves, dried berries, etc

i've just ordered a new cabin air filter but now i am scared to turn on my ac now. it's gonna be hot tmw

cheers
dean

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
It sure can. If there are leaves etc. Blocking the airflow out of the vents it'll greatly improve your a/c performance.

You could take the air cabin filter out and give it a few taps. Shake out all the dirt, and reuse the filter. Nothing bad will happen.

·
Administrator
8,495 Posts
You could take the air cabin filter out and give it a few taps. Shake out all the dirt, and reuse the filter. Nothing bad will happen.
This. At least temporarily.

You can always just use an old toothbrush to clean out between the crevices as well. Despite the fact it's 6 years old, it'll still help to increase airflow.

And yeah, it's hot. It's supposed to hit 100 here, the first time in a decade or so. And to think, we were dealing with -20 degree lows with -35 degree wind chills only 5 months ago... Good times! :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
just take the filter out. try to see if the ac runs better. If not, then it's not the cabin filter. I change my cabin filter every years.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Here's an idea. Buy a similar one from the one you ordered. Use it today and return the one that you already prdered to the shop!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
did u notice anything different after u cleaned it.

my old one in my TL was horrible leaves dirt it used to be charcoal when I pulled it out it was black black!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I don't think it serves any purpose other than filtration.
Hmmmm :huh: You think?

You won't believe how dirty they get, you should see better aif flow if you have never replaced it.

·
banana boat.
6,987 Posts
Hmmmm :huh: You think?

You won't believe how dirty they get, you should see better aif flow if you have never replaced it.
I do think.....

It doesn't create vacuum or anything. Its job is to filter out air particles as far as I know.

240s, 350zs, and other cars don't even have cabin filters.

Now that I think about it, you can I have done it before. You can even do it w/o the filter door on...... makes for a huge air duct.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
did u notice anything different after u cleaned it.

my old one in my TL was horrible leaves dirt it used to be charcoal when I pulled it out it was black black!
dude thx for asking. cuz of ur question i checked the filter again. i thought i had cleaned it up in the darkness of the night yesterday. but this morning under bright sunlight, i realized how dirty it still was.

i cleaned it up some more. the new filter should be here early next week and i don't plan to drive this weekend so all is good....

·
Registered
2,276 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have not purchase filters for years now
evaporators are way more PITA to replace than a filter. running no filter will leave all that dirt and crap on your evaporator coils thus affecting the performance of your whole system as well as a clogged filter. they are cheap. replace them at least once a year. you need that good airflow over the coils. think of covering up a window airconditioner evaporator... it would cause many problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do the 04's have a cabin filter? I couldn't find anything in the owners manual. Where is it located? I'd like to change my as well if I have one.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it's behind the glove compartment. unhook the string on the right. push both sides of the box toward each other and take it out. then u will see the cabin air filter box

·
Registered
790 Posts
is it good idea to put some fragrance over filter. So interior smell nice.
Be careful of the composition of the fragrance you use. There are several that can clog the filter, especially the sprays as they will penetrate the fibers of the filter and restrict the air flow. Most sprays are "sticky" in nature.

Generally speaking... of course depending on your climate, every two years is the recommended replacement interval.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts