Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to post officially that I am extremely dissappointed in Mazda in that they did NOT put headrests in for the backseat passengers. This is a gross oversight and makes the backseat uncomfortable for longer rides.
I just checked out the backseat of a 6 and was very dissappointed that I could not rest my head if I needed to on a long ride. Also, from a safety aspect the backseat without headrests will cause whiplash to taller passengers.

This is a nice sized sport sedan which is very capable of carrying passengers and that's one of the main reasons I'm drawn to it. However, the headrest issues needs to be addressed.

Do the backseats in US models have the holes available for the headrest if we were to cut out the leather hole?
If so, I would not mind ordering some headrests from a Euro source and install them.

If Mazda is reading this, I hope you see the big error of deciding not to have headrests in North American cars.
It makes no sense and makes the backseat more uncomfortable when compared to other cars in this segment.

Anyone else? Please comment.

Tome

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reading Topic: backseat headrest

Thank you for the suggestion. I am aware of that option and will exercise it.
However, I want to get some comments from the folks on this list before I do that.
I would like to know if others feel that same way so that I can include that in my
suggestion to Mazda.

Tome

·
Registered
526 Posts

Not to be a jerk, but you asked. I think you're complaining about something rather insignificant. For safety - perhaps. I can't imagine using the head restraint for sleeing. Who falls asleep sitting bolt upright?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I didn't ask anyone to be a jerk. :)

It's not just a matter of "sleeping". When riding in the back seat, most back seats do not sit upright. The 6 also, forces you to sit with your back tilted towards the rear. On long rides I like to occaisionally "rest" my head on the head rest as the seat is already canted backwards.

And safety is not a "perhaps". I'll have to disagree. It is VERY important. The head rest is a safety feature more so than a comfort feature. That is significant.
Also, it's only the North American market that does not get the headrests.
It must be important in other markets, I don't understand why not here.

So then, I take it that you are fine with no headrests?

Tome

·
Registered
526 Posts

The amount of time full size adults spend in the back seat of my car is negligible, so yes, I'm fine with it.

One reason I think they've been omitted is due to styling for the general North American consumer. Things like rear headrests, roof mounted antenna's, hatchbacks and turn signals just ahead of the front doors are typically European touches.

More specifically - you see these features in the states on others, but mostly on German cars. I suspect some of the differences are intended to present a specific 'picture' of a Japanese car, rather than what might be construed in this country as a German wannabe.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Well, I didn't want this thread to be a debate on why there is or isn't a headrest on the backseats.
I'd like it not to be. They are not there and so be it. If you like it, then fine, so noted.
Those who don't, fine, so noted.

As far as your interpretation, I wholly disagree. Many sedans do have headrests, and not just German cars. I think it's a good safety feature more so than a "picture" of a Japanese car.
I'd rather have the safety than some image.
I seriously doubt that headrests would be misconstrued as "German wannabes".

Thank you for your input.

Tome

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reading Topic: backs

I have considered the issue and just want to know what others think as well.
However Mazda came about their decision is not the question. The question is whether or not
their conclusion is acceptable. That conclusion is that we do not get headrests for the back seats.

Tome

·
Registered
31 Posts

I wonder why they don't have headrest for the backseat in the US. In Hong Kong, it is a standard equipment. They even have a headrest (smaller in size) for the middle passenger.

·
Registered
514 Posts

I'm pretty sure it has to do with the automatic back seat folding system. As Americans are on average taller than other markets they may sit farther back on the front seat on average than in the JDM market. Perhaps Mazda USA found that the headrests needed to be removed too often for lazy Americans to feel that they would be benefitting from the automatic drop-down feature. Just a thought.

-Alt

·
Registered
878 Posts
Replying to Topic 'backseat headrest'

I am also extremely disappointed in the lack of rear headrests in my 6s. If I didn't have plans to have passengers, I would have bought a vett. Mazda must think that Americans don't put people that are worth saving from whiplash in the back seat. I also don't agree with their decision to omit the headlight washers. Never mind the rest of the options I think I should of had the choice to purchase.

·
Registered
31 Posts

I agree that it's a big oversight of Mazda. Many economy cars now have rear adjustable headrests (Camry, Corolla, ECHO, 03 Accord, 03 Civic, 04 Malibu, Legacy, all VWs and the list goes on and on).

·
Registered
60 Posts

Originally posted by Altersys

I'm pretty sure it has to do with the automatic back seat folding system.  As Americans are on average taller than other markets they may sit farther back on the front seat on average than in the JDM market.  Perhaps Mazda USA found that the headrests needed to be removed too often for lazy Americans to feel that they would be benefitting from the automatic drop-down feature.  Just a thought.

-Alt[/b]
In the Oz market we have headrests (three of them!) on the back seat and the automatic folding system still works a treat. No need to remove them at all. I have the Hatch and I think Ozzies are no shorter than you Americans (I'm 1.85m or just over 6"). It sounds to me like Mazda USA has just decided to cost cut and omit the headrests for your market. Get on their case!:(

·
Registered
178 Posts

I would not mind looking a a headrest in the back of my car if it will keep someone in the back of my car sometime from cracking their neck. You never know when some one will hit you in the ass while you have a car full of people.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'backseat headrest'

I also was somewhat disappointed that back seat headrests weren't available. This seems to be something that none of the Japanese cars have yet. I'm not sure why.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.