Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the dealership today to maybe test drive a manual 6s, but of course, there weren't any on the lot. I spoke with a sales rep and we got to talking about how popular the 6s is with the manual gearbox and how Mazda messed up and sent boatloads of automatics (not that the automatic is bad) to dealerships. He fed me the expected spiel of how it'll be hard to get one, and blah blah blah. What caught my attention was that he said that the 6s manual tranny is 'restricted' and it'll be hard for Mazda to mass produce more 6s' in that configuration (V6 and manual tranny). I asked him if he knew of any details behind this and he replied back with "it has something to do with the EPA..." I felt this guy was full of it so I left. I was wondering if anyone has heard the same thing or if there is any truth behind this b.s.?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Reading Topic: B.S.? Or is it true?

SOP for many car salesmen, I you don't know the answer, make something up.

I do believe it will take awhile for supply to catch up to demand on the V6s. With the trans coming from Japan, they have to ramp up production and then the delay getting them shipped over.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Replying to Topic 'B.S.? Or is it true?'

I find it hard to believe your average Joe Salesguy is going to have the scoop on Mazda production numbers and the EPA! I think the real reason for the low volume of 5spd v6s is that Mazda, like any other manufacturer, has to predict how many of each variation will sell. I think Mazda believed very few people would want a manual transmission in the "high end" version. I think Mazda believed most manual transmission buyers would be buying the 4cyl version (economy and all). Wrong!

I looked hard to find the 6s I wanted. I scanned the on-line inventories of all Mazda dealers in Indiana, Chicago area, Ohio and Kentucky. It seemed as though every dealer had a fully loaded 6s 5spd, but in yellow only. Maybe one other 6s manny, but not nearly as loaded.

·
Registered
656 Posts

I talked to a Mazda dealer here in Phoenix and the sales person told me that they were having trouble with the emissions with the manual tranny v-6. I smelled total B.S. so I left. What differance does the transmission make with emissions?:bsflag

·
Registered
248 Posts

Guys its true, Mazda gave dealers only a certain amout of 6s's to order. We used all ours up already. It's a resriction on the 6cyl's and not really the manual tranny. I have 2 coming in and 1 is sold.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Oh... I see the truth. It makes much more sense that way b/c I know that cars have to meet several requirements, i.e. 5mph bumpers, before they are sold in the U.S. It just didn't compute in my head when the guy said that the manual tranny is 'restricted' and that "it has something to do with the EPA" even after it has been sold in the U.S.

·
Registered
248 Posts

Really the main reason why it's rescrited is because mazda can't meet the demand for the 6cyl at the moment.....they want to get an even amount to all the dealers and move the 4cyl's.

·
Registered
170 Posts

My 6s w/ MT better be on order, or I'll be so mad. I would hope that the dealership would tell me if he couldn't get it. I don't want to keep calling him, I feel like a pest.

·
Registered
248 Posts

Originally posted by ZMZMSIX

My 6s w/ MT better be on order, or I'll be so mad. I would hope that the dealership would tell me if he couldn't get it. I don't want to keep calling him, I feel like a pest.[/b]

As a dealer, I doubt they would tell u if they couldn't place an order for ur car....they would probably hope for the rescriction to be lifted or pray that another dealer has the car coming and would be willing to give it up. Remember they want to take u out the market and buy from them and not the next closest dealer.

·
Registered
248 Posts

Originally posted by ZMZMSIX

My 6s w/ MT better be on order, or I'll be so mad. I would hope that the dealership would tell me if he couldn't get it. I don't want to keep calling him, I feel like a pest.[/b]
Also, I might be able to find out if it is on order, post the dealer name (where they are located) and exactly what u wanted in the car and I'll see if I could search their incoming inventory... ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Originally posted by DJSCIASCIA

Also, I might be able to find out if it is on order, post the dealer name (where they are located) and exactly what u wanted in the car and I'll see if I could search their incoming inventory... ;)[/b]
I'll PM you... if you didn't get it, let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

I don't see transmission type causing emissions problems. I think that car manufacturers are required to balance their model line-ups for average fuel economy. The 4 cylinders have a little better fuel efficiency, so maybe this is why they're providing limited V6's.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

No, I think Mazda just goofed big time. They looked at V6 sales of Accord/Camry and produced a like ratio. Wrong guess!!!

Wrong enough that I think it was the straw the broke the camel's back and got the Pres. of Mazda North America fired!

·
Registered
315 Posts

Manufacturers have to meet certain EPA requirements in their overall line not just one car or truck.
I'm with LB on this one. The V6 with manual was completely underestimated.
There are V6 automatics and i4 automatics and manuals readily available. It's the V6 5 spd. that is hard to find. Manuals in most sport sedan lineups are rare even in BMW's. It seems Mazda did not anticipate the demand for this configuration adequately. They are coming, it's just going to take some time to get them manufactured, that's all. It sucks, but if you want one you'll have to wait.

The only sport sedan where manuals are plentiful is the Subaru WRX. It's hard to find an automatic in that car, but then why would you?

The 2004 WRX is supposed to come at the end of March beginning of April. Which is right around the time Mazda will have production ready on the V6 5 spd. I hope that's the truth because the WRX is an awesome car I certainly would not mind owning. Mazda, are you listening?
:)

Tome

·
Registered
517 Posts

Originally posted by kyler13

...I think that car manufacturers are required to balance their model line-ups for average fuel economy.  The 4 cylinders have a little better fuel efficiency, so maybe this is why they're providing limited V6's.[/b]
But how could Mazda possibly be in trouble with CAFE (corporate avg. fuel economy)? They don't really have any gas-guzzlers that need to be cancelled out by econoboxes. Ford, for instance, needs to sell a boatload of Focus vehicles to balance out the Excursions it sells.

I could be wrong, of course, but on the surface I don't think Mazda is in a position where it needs to limit V6 sales to meet CAFE requirements.

Mazda planned for a certain product mix, but the market for this vehicle has been different than they expected so far. A large-scale enterprise such as car manufacturing involves a certain amount of inertia because of the advance planning and materials allocations involved. The real question will be, how agile can Mazda be in adapting to the market?

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'B.S.? Or is it true?'

Someone should make a physical version of the B.S. flag and stick it next to the entrance to that dealership!

There are five V6,5spd combo 6's at Massachusetts dealerships right now. But only 1 had the bose package and none of them are in the color I want. Actually I think they are all the silver color from the commericials. WTF? I haven't talked to a dealer about ordering one because I still settling between a used S4 and the 6. I want the blue 6s completely loaded to the brim w/ 5 spd.

·
Registered
468 Posts

Originally posted by GreenNuggs

I haven't talked to a dealer about ordering one because I still settling between a used S4 and the 6.  [/b]

is it just me? how can the two be compared? other than one being new..and the other being used. it's like apples to oranges IMO (in my opionion)

i personally would never buy a used car...but that's my take.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Here's a stoopid little interesting fact. In the US brochure, 4 out of the 5 pictures that show the shifter in the car are manual trannys. It's kind of like a subliminal message to get buyers to go for the manual tranny.

And Mazda is also quick to point out that "...some sedans don't even offer a 5-speed (manual) with their V6 engines."

But anyway, half the fun is waiting which makes the second half, driving the car, that much more fun.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Yeah. But waiting is also p-i-t-a. I waited for four months for my 6. Almost killed me... :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts