Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
I would like to install a B&M Transmission Super Cooler rated at 14,400 BTU on a 2007 mazda6 and I cant find any visual how to's anywhere. All the links to mazda6tech.com about cooler installation are broken. Please make sure any links you recommend work before you paste.
Can someone point me in the right direction or answer fiew questions? Thanks.

-where is the best place to mount this sucker?
-does my Mazda already come with OEM trans cooler and if so do I need to take it off and keep it off if I'm putting on new cooler?
-do i need to add trans fluid after this install and why?
-this B&M cooler comes with plastic zip ties for mounting, this seems like a bad idea as plastic melts under heat, should I use other type of mount.

Please try to be specific and thorough in any answers you would like to leave. Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the link MrTea.
I've been looking over the pdf cooler installation and maybe you can help with a couple of questions.
Pre-cooler installation:
return line running to transmission runs from OEM cooler, correct?
Will i have to cap anything at OEM cooler end after I pull off this return line?

I'm only working with swamping out the return line from the transmission and running new line to the new cooler, correct? The other transmission line is the pressure line, not to be touched, correct?
There are 2 lines running from B&M cooler, one is transmission return line, and the other is? and where do I need to connect it to?
Also I would like to install inline filter like the one in pdf document, but he didn't specify where this line is to be connected (transmission end) after you put inline filter on the line.
I hope this isn't too much to ask, thanks for your time.
Matt

·
banana boat.
6,987 Posts
the return line goes to the new Trans cooler. You are adding a 2nd cooler(not replacing the original cooler) and the 2nd side of the new cooler goes where the original return line was to complete the circuit.

no capping or cutting or anything should be required.

the Trans filter can be added inline anywhere on the return line. I would recommend you put it somewhere easy to access so you can swap it out if need be(mine is right next to my 2ndary cooler, behind the front grill).

you are over thinking a bit. the other line you are seeing is the sending line(where the fluid comes out of the pump of the trans) and the other line is the "return line" where it returns to the transmission.

you can touch the other line just fine, but it isn't nessacary.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for clearing this up flipper, you helped a great deal, now I completely understand this installation.
By the way, I didn't expect you guys to reply so fast, you're really on top of it, many thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
one more thing came to mind. How much more trans fluid to add after install, about half of quart?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello MrTea. I was looking to install a tranny cooler on my 03 6s. Mine is currenty acting like it's slipping going into 3rd gear only. This started after disconnecting my battery for a tuneup. The dealer said that it was re-learning my driving patterns and should go back to normal. Well, it never did. Anyway, I was looking for the How To section with the tranny cooler install pics and steps. It seens to have disappeared. I see that you have a PDF for review but it requires some type of file sharing installation and membership. Is there another way to obtain the instructions for the tranny install? Your asistance is greatly appreciated in advance.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I tried one of the pdf's from that site. It said a "photographic journey to rolling fenders". It showed a picture of the tool and 4 other pics, none of which helped what so ever. I have always been curious as how to roll fenders. It's like someone stripped all the pictures out of the pdf and reposted just a useless half explained project. I hope the other how to's are better explained!
Maybe you have to pay for the picture pdf's?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im putting a inline filter on the return line (line with red dot), does the arrow on the filter need to point toward the transmission?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
install was a success! test drove, added a dab of fluid...no leaks or any problems. Can't thank you guys enough!

·
Registered
2004 Mazda 6S 3.0
47 Posts
I figured I would use this thread instead of making a new one but I am planning on installing a cooler but all the links to the guides are dead including the provided 4shared link.. The Mazda site I see linked goes to a scam site saying “Your device has a virus!!” Does anyone have the aforementioned pdf on hand still? My trans shifts very well when cold but when it’s at temp it delays from 1st - 2nd and 2nd - 3rd. I figured giving this is worth a shot before I decide to get the transmission rebuilt ($3900 quote from local shop. Sounds like a rip off) Here in Vegas it tends to get hot so it wouldn’t hurt to have it anyways. I really hope one of you would have the guide. I also want to add a filter since last time I changed the trans fluid. It was sparkly (probably why there is late shifting) because the trans would slam and I was the only owner of the car out of 4 who told the dealership to upgrade the TCM software after looking up the issue. Any help would be appreciated and I hope this post goes read even though it’s such an old thread.

·
Rally Racer
2,522 Posts
It is a pretty straight forward install. You will need to remove the front bumper.
Here is the information from Mazda info Net
I recommend against back-flushing (FWIW)
The "Forward Flushing" will show you the direction of fluid flow. The image shows both radiator mounted coolers and the auxiliary cooler that comes equipped on the wagons.

The fluid flow should be the same. You can trace them back to the transmission and see the high and low pressure lines. I believe they have blue (high) and red (low) dots, I believe.

Here is a step-by-step from "Americas University"

·
Registered
2004 Mazda 6S 3.0
47 Posts
It is a pretty straight forward install. You will need to remove the front bumper.
Here is the information from Mazda info Net
I recommend against back-flushing (FWIW)
The "Forward Flushing" will show you the direction of fluid flow. The image shows both radiator mounted coolers and the auxiliary cooler that comes equipped on the wagons.

The fluid flow should be the same. You can trace them back to the transmission and see the high and low pressure lines. I believe they have blue (high) and red (low) dots, I believe.

Here is a step-by-step from "Americas University"
I saw this video and was going to work off from that but it was kind of confusing.. I looked it up in the shop manual which kind of contradicts to the location of the hoses on his trans but I'll check it out when I have it taken apart. thank you for your reply I appreciate it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts