Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a world of problems finding a good passenger half shaft. I have gone through two A1 cardone axles from rockauto, both defective.

What axles have you guys used, what price and where did you buy them?

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I had the same problem with a Rock Auto axle. The Chinese ones are junk. Mine was 3/16" short, and the car pulled like it was roped to a sign. Try to find a local shop that rebuilds and reboots CV joints. Rebooted OE axles beat the crap out of cheap aftermarket any day.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I bought a set through MazdaSpeed Motorsports with my racer discount. They have held up well - except for one cut boot from a foreign object. My plan is to keep them and rebuild as necessary. I have broken one from RockAuto and one from O'Riley's.

CR

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
One broke that was from Cardone. Don't remember the other.

From MSMS:
GD66-25-60XR-0A $180
GP22-25-50XR-0B $268

Pricey but they have taken track abuse for a year and a half.

CR

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Don't remember the brand, but I don't recall if there was a choice back when I bought it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem with a Rock Auto axle. The Chinese ones are junk. Mine was 3/16" short, and the car pulled like it was roped to a sign. Try to find a local shop that rebuilds and reboots CV joints. Rebooted OE axles beat the crap out of cheap aftermarket any day.

Im trying to find info on dimensions, after 3 I'm wandering if it's not too short

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
ALL of the "parts place" axles I've seen have been crap. Every single one. Yes, they have a "lifetime" warranty; I hope you like replacing them because you will be -- for life.

MOST of the time you can rebuild the CVs on the OEM ones. With some you can swap the ends of the CV by changing which side it's on and get "new" surfaces for the balls to ride on. Sometimes. It's almost-always a winning proposition to do this rather than buy anything from the parts store when it comes to anything with a CV on it.

I agree with the junkyard suggestion provided the boots are intact, as noted -- then re-boot and re-grease. Now you have a "new" one, and it's OE.

There are three places that Chineesium junk should never, ever go in your car: 1) Any internal engine or transmission part, 2) CVs/Half-shifts and 3) Wheel bearings.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts