Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past few months I've been driving with CorkSport's rear torque strut mount in my 2016 Mazda 6 Sport with the automatic transmission.

It was a welcome improvement over the OEM mount, taking away the lurch in 1st gear when moving very slowly. The car definitely felt a but more responsive. Unfortunately it rattled the car something fierce with the AC on when stopped at a light or driving very slowly. I knew it'd increase NVH, which I was fine with. After seeing the recent postings on the AWR mounts, I reached out inquiring on the passenger side upper mount which js being developed currently and I'll get the first production unit to test.

To prevent any skewed feedback, I figured it'd be wise to try their 62 durometer rear torque strut mount while I'm waiting on the other one to be developed.

I got it a couple days ago, installed it last night, and went for its first test run this afternoon before taking an aggressive drive through the bendys this evening.

ho-lee-shyt

First test was sitting in gear, AC on, foot on the break. No vibration, like factory feel. I slowly pulled out of the driveway expecting the vibration to come, but still nothing. As soon as I fully turned out of the driveway I gave it a bit of gas and immediately felt response, a much more reactive one than before.

Throughout my 80 minutes of driving I didn't experience any vibration increase over my memory of the factory feel, at least none from the mount, since my exhaust no longer has the 2nd cat, resonator, and has 2 big ol Borla S-Type mufflers which adds a little bit of rumble. In the 120,500 miles I've driven this car, it's never felt as responsive as it does now. I am beyond impressed with the mount, and can't express my excitement for the upper passenger-side mount to be installed. I averaged a whopping 22 miles a gallon on that drive, but had a shit-eating grin the whole time.

Tony and/or Ali - if you read this at some point (review will go on your website next), you guys kick ass.

Wheel Automotive tire Wood Gas Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Tire Gas Asphalt Auto part

·
Registered
7,471 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a huge improvement over the CS mount! I'm going to stick to 62 durometer for the upper passenger-side mount and transmission mount from AWR as well. My understanding is they will have a full mount kit available in the future. Hoping they will consider RND of more parts for our cars as time goes on since they know Mazdas better than most.

After being able to compare the OEM, CS, and AWR torque strut mount I'd definitely recommend the AWR to anyone even if they aren't looking for performance mods. It's a fantastic change in drive-ability.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Ive gotten to the point, i dont even notice the vibration, or its broken in enough its less than at first. I like being able to hear the gears when the radio is blasting. It might be different in an auto though, since youre always in gear.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Yeah but the question @TalonTsi90 is what do you get with the higher-durometer you don't with the lower?
Im not sure, maybe itll last longer? Take more abuse? I cant A/B them since i only have one, but i can bet any amount of money i drive way harder than you do, so id rather err on the side of needing to replace the bushings less i guess?

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Well I suppose since the bushing cost all of about $20 ($30 with shipping) and take 15 minutes to replace..... if you're willing to pay the increased NVH penalty have at it. I found the harder ones ridiculously obnoxious but the 62s not at all, and the benefit over stock remained.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I suppose since the bushing cost all of about $20 ($30 with shipping) and take 15 minutes to replace..... if you're willing to pay the increased NVH penalty have at it. I found the harder ones ridiculously obnoxious but the 62s not at all, and the benefit over stock remained.
Even with CorkSports being 70, the NVH increase was too much to deal with after the first couple weeks. In my opinion the 62 from AWR feels no different than OEM strictly in regards to vibration/rattle.

It has all the same benefits as the CS mount, but is a step above on those as well. I would still have some hesitation when starting from a stop and pushing the peddle halfway down or more, but have not felt a hint of hesitation with AWR's mount.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For me the primary benefit is that I can creep in traffic -- before that was a five-alarm mess. Not anymore. It also removed the (minor, but present) torque shift on hard acceleration.
For the longest time I was convinced my transmission was a lemon due to that slow-speed lurch. I couldn't understand how that would be a "normal" thing. I don't sit in traffic often anymore now that I'm in East Tennessee, but getting rid of that was sooo nice.

I'm not sure if it's a placebo or what, but it seems that there was a significant difference in engine-braking as well despite mine being automatic. Which is very handy when I'm pushing it hard on the bendys and can get enough slowdown just letting off the gas and having the RPMs stay higher for that punch down after banking.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you so much Jacob, we are so happy to hear that you like our rear mount. The AWR team greatly appreciates you and the community's support! Stay tuned - we have more products for the 6 releasing real soon! #TEAMAWR
All the thanks goes to your team and the great people on this forum! I am excited to see what parts are being released and will without a doubt be buying anything your team makes. If the RND process is ever stuck on what parts to potentially develop, I'm sure the community would happily participate in a poll if one gets put up!

Thank you again and your team has a new fan for life!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Will these work for the 2.2 diesel also ?

Picture wise the diesel mount itself looks identical to the gasoline one but different part numbers , KH31-39-040. The mounting bracket are different but looks to me the mount itself is identical

Thank you so much Jacob, we are so happy to hear that you like our rear mount. The AWR team greatly appreciates you and the community's support! Stay tuned - we have more products for the 6 releasing real soon! #TEAMAWR

1 - 20 of 23 Posts