Mazda 6 Forums banner

AWR RMM

14K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  bdc101 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, i finally got around to putting the car on ramps and sliding underneath to install the RMM today. Since im not a wuss, i opted for the 95 durometer version and figured, i can always go lower if needed (they sell 75 and 80 hardness inserts separate from the mount). Well, i wont be changing anything.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Hood Automotive exterior

Holy. Crap. What an IMPROVEMENT. I know for a fact that lately my stock RMM has been flopping worse and worse, but it wasnt till i got the OVT tune that it was REALLY apparent, especially at low speed and in 1st gear. The throttle was SO touchy it was almost undriveable below 10 mph and required a lot of clutch modulation in 1st.

Thoughts: I dont know what people are on when they say it increases vibration too much and will knock your teeth loose. At idle there is a noticeable feeling in your butt that something is more connected to the exhaust pulses and only in 6th gear at around 30mph is there anything strong enough to vibrate the rear view mirror. Put it in 5th and this disappears. Any other time, the only thing you feel is a much more direct connection between your right foot and the ground. Even in first at 5k rpm, there is ZERO lurch capability, even if blipping the throttle to try and induce it. Acceleration is MUCH MORE direct and instantaneous. The most you can feel is a slight blip of the motor shifting when you slam 3rd to 4th at WOT around 5500 rpm. Before it would feel like you had to stretch the rubber band about 500 revs before it would let loose its energy into forward acceleration. Another pro is weight reduction, the stocker weighs 3lb 3oz, this weighs 1lb 11.6oz, or almost exactly half.

Cons: Maybe the price, vs just slathering your stock RMM with silicone, wait time if they run low on stock and i had to grind about .4mm off the front ends bushings to fit it into the trans mount (these just pop out of the mount so i could trim the inside part and put them back into the poly bits). The only other gripe is not doing this sooner. I know its been holding me back on the autox course.

Ive got fairly strong fingers from being a drummer most of my life and also a keyboard warrior, but it took minimal effort to splay this to take a pic, it deflects a LOT more than the pic shows and i only have around 62k on the clock.

Automotive tire Tire Bumper Wood Asphalt

See less See more
#3 ·
Yup, its built to absorb the back and forth twisting of the assembly, so the motor twists before it transmits through the wheels. Now i may look into replacing the rest of them even though it might not make any difference, other than making it take longer before they wear out.

#5 ·
Yep, car is so much more docile in the parking lot now.

A couple more things ive noticed: I can hear the gears whining in the trans again, like i could when i got it, maybe a bit more pronounced. Car seems to start easier since its not shaking around anymore, and you can feel that action a little more in your butt. But not unpleasantly so, its just noticeable.

#7 ·
I was thinking of filling mine and using it as a core to sell to people who cant or dont want to wait for theirs to dry. I send you mine filled and you send yours back for a core charge.

#8 ·
Link to that please! :)

(Looked around their site and didn't see anything for the Gen3 cars.... I replaced the dogbone mount on my VW -- same basic deal -- a number of years ago and it wildly tightened things up without a lot of NVH increase, so yeah, I'll do it on the "6" too!)

#12 ·
Same motor, you could always measure the bolt center to center and ill verify, but if Ticker thinks itll work, thats good enough for me.

#14 ·
Looks like it fits 2014-2018 Mazda 3, 2014-2017 Mazda 6, 2013-2017 Mazda CX-5 as they are all the same OEM p/n.

#17 ·
Is this applicable to a 2019 2.5T auto? I realize it would be a different part, but is the concept valid? Mazda 6's are supposed to feel more like driver's cars than Camrys and Accords, but this car I've had for a month now feels pretty numb to me. Although I do like that it is very smooth, comfortable, and quiet. I've put poly mounts in other cars and could barely detect any additional vibration.

#19 ·
Is this applicable to a 2019 2.5T auto? I realize it would be a different part, but is the concept valid?
Yep. From what im seeing, it looks like you still have the same mount, so this should work. If you can pop your oil access cover off and take a pic of your mount and post it for verification...

I wonder if they would make the bushing for the passenger side motor mount..
I dunno, that one is a little more complex. I guess it cant hurt to ask.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.