Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was browsing the RPM website and came across the AWR Competition Radiator. Has anyone installed this? and is it worth the money or should i just go out and do the TB Bypass? Does this aftermarket radiator cool the engine more than stock significantly? thanks in advance!

·
Registered
426 Posts
I was browsing the RPM website and came across the AWR Competition Radiator. Has anyone installed this? and is it worth the money or should i just go out and do the TB Bypass? Does this aftermarket radiator cool the engine more than stock significantly? thanks in advance!
[/b]

crossbow has one.

Something else you could try for much less money is a better fan setup. I looked at some dual fan units on Summit that moved considerably more air than the stock unit, and they were as cheap as $200. Also, the fan replacement is a hell of a lot easier to install than a new radiator.

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
the radiator is more race bread. it will hold temps better when pushed to it's limit, not lower temps for your daily drive.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the radiator is more race bread. it will hold temps better when pushed to it's limit, not lower temps for your daily drive.
[/b]
oh okay, i gotcha! So i think i'll be looking into the fan setup as well as the TB bypass mod in the meantime since i'm not in the hardcore scene of racing to the limits. thanks for the help!

·
Registered
344 Posts
[/b]
yes i agree. I have one myself, and it only helps when pushing the car to the limit.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
i dont see how changing the tstat will lower engine temps...

·
Registered
498 Posts
[/b]
The thermostat opens at a set temp to cool the engine. When the metals in the tstat get to that temp, it opens and releases coolant to cool the engine. If you get a 180/160 degree tstat, it will open at a lower temp than stock, thus allowing coolant to flow while the engine is at lower temps, and, in turn, lower the overall temp of the engine or at least maintain a somewhat lower temp. :)

·
Registered
426 Posts
not even the dual fans are worth it. get a couple marine blowers...they'll move some freakin air. and it'll be around 50 for 2.
[/b]

I love the idea of those blower fans too, but the duals would retain a stock look, and like I mentioned before there's very little room in the engine bay in the 3.0, even for such a small fan. Believe me I measured! :D

[/b]
You're right, it doesnt change the operating temp. It only slows down the initial warm up period. I took my t-stat out completely about a month ago for the Summer. Other cars that would not allow the coolant temp to get high enough, but not the 6. That in addition to the fan mod, 90/10 coolant mixture and two bottles of Water Wetter seems to keep the normal operating temp under 200 for most of the drive.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The thermostat opens at a set temp to cool the engine. When the metals in the tstat get to that temp, it opens and releases coolant to cool the engine. If you get a 180/160 degree tstat, it will open at a lower temp than stock, thus allowing coolant to flow while the engine is at lower temps, and, in turn, lower the overall temp of the engine or at least maintain a somewhat lower temp. :)
[/b]
chances are I will be doing what you have said soon enough!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
the_gray_mazda6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing