Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today i was watching ESPN, they were reporting from a car show in Detroit..they were discussing the the PROS of AWD (All Wheel Drive)...and it made me wonder. I know that the US spec 6, is FWD (Front Wheel Drive)...what i'm wondering is..even i were to add a strut bar and all one of those anti-roll bars and other suspension accessories... Will my 6 then have the same handling capabilities as a AWD car, like MPS 6?

What other PROS does an AWD car have that our 6 doesn't have? And if it's possilbe to do things to the 6, what can i do to try and "reach" that potential in my car in terms of handling, driving performance, etc. that an AWD might possess.

Thanks Guys
Elmer

·
Registered
791 Posts
Reading Topic: AWD vs FWD

In short, no. I'll reply at length later, because this is a topic that can't be summed up quickly. The disadvantages of FWD are very great.

AWD is also too broad of a term to define. AWD puts its torque bias to the front, rear, or distributed, and each has different handling charactoristics. In general, you want your rear wheels to propel you, and this works best with a 50/50 or greater (rear biased) weight distribution.

Try: http://www.corollaperformance.com/TechInfo/RWD.html

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

do you think there'll ever be a AWD 6...actually the MPS 6 is supposed to be AWD...Damm i feel like the 6 in somewhat "inadequate" when it comes to this...does anyone agree?? I feel like i've been robbed of the potential of this car...i wonder how much more it would have cost us if Mazda manufactured the 6 as a AWD car?

Elmer

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

I wouldn't consider yourself "robbed". I also don't see the car as inadequate. It would definitely be heavier if it were AWD, would certainly cost more, and I'd hope they'd up the hp/torque to compensate. Plus, Mazda is not in the AWD arena right now. Would you want to own the "guinea pig" model year for AWD? Fact is, Nissan, Toyota and Honda don't have it in their passenger cars, and that's who Mazda competes with. Not many American cars have it. I wouldn't sweat it. If anything, I wish the 6 was RWD.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

We have Mazda6 2.3l Wagon with AWD here in Sweden. Im not sure if you will get in the states... Your SUV market is so large that they might not even think it's worth introducing a AWD "normal" car.

In Sweden AWD cars are seen more as a way of getting some the SUV's snow handling with the size and comfort of a normal car. The AWD 6 is much slower and heavier then the FWD version so performancewise I doubt you will gain anything. The car might take corners a little better, but it's like 3 seconds slower to 60mph then a FWD...

The normal AWD system is probably not tuned for performance driving either, rather "off road" capabilites (not exacly - but you get the point :)).

For example - when Volvo introduced their S60/V70 "R" models they invited some journalists to a track to test the cars. They behaved VERY bad thoug. The Haldex AWD didn't seem to work good at all on the track.

Later they found the fault - the car had by mistake gotten the software from a XC90 SUV instead of the performance-tuned for the R cars.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Well i must admit i do Feel better getting everyones perspective on this topic :D

Elmer

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

AWD is a good insurance policy for cars like the Audi S4, RS6, and 911 (340hp and up). Otherwise the added weight and cost is not worth it IMO. I can't imagine an AWD system in a non-turbo 4 cylinder. What a DOG! (Sorry Blackbird :D )

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

What me? WE don't have a AWD :) But it exists on our market. Around 50 000 SEK higher in price then a normal car (about 6000 dollars).

I agree otherwise - the added wheight is not worth it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

i guess watching that tv car show on ESPN made me want an AWD car..they made it should so NECESSARY and luxurious :D and then on top of that i see an MPS 6 that's AWD and i say Damm!! why do i feel that the potential of this car is being limited??

I guess it all depends from what viewpoint you see the situation from..now i see that pros and CONS of AWD...they didn't cover the CONS of AWD...but when i just concentrate on the idea of AWD car Vs. a FWD car...i would definetly pick an AWD car if and ONLY if it had more HP, which from what i've read on other replies normally comes with turbo engines.

Elmer

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

AWD is a luxury for turbo 4's, IMO, but they're quite driveable without it. It's basically a nice added benefit. Coming from a RWD 320hp Supra, AWD is a life insurance policy for high hp (as I stated before, the likes of the 340hp S4, 460hp RS6, and 425hp 911). The handling benefits are critical with those cars from a safety viewpoint. I found myself one day (after spinning 180 degrees to a stop) looking out the front windshield down the road I had just traveled. Fortunately it was 11:30pm and no one else was on the road. Trial by fire. I learned from that day on that hp can kill if you don't know what you're doing and you're not careful, and especially in non-ideal conditions even as simple as slightly wet roads. What AWD does let you do is take turns and curves faster than a FWD or RWD car. But there are so many variables in the set up of the car and the skill of the driver. An amateur with AWD may still not be able to out handle a good driver with a well set-up car. If I get a chance, I'll try to find the thread with the lengthy discussion on AWD benefits.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

Don't feel robbed man. Do you think Ford Taurus owners should feel robbed because they don't have AWD? If you wanted such, you would have chosen another car. BTW, reports suggest AWD will be available in the estate cars (wagons) in the US just as it is overseas. Designed to be a less expensive alternative to the Volvos and Audis I think. It will be a shame it that is never used on the Sedans and Hatchs. Although, being that the undercarriage is probably the same, I bet it is not out of the realm of possibility for a buyer to do it themselves. The Eclipse guys convert FWD Spyders into AWD by taking parts off the GSX. It costs alot ($6000-10,000); but to those who are mechanically inclined (and a lesser degree of sanity); it may be worth it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Replying to Topic 'AWD vs FWD'

Hmm....now i'm thinking...do you think that if and when Mazda decides to introduce an AWD 6 in the U.S. Market that anyone (ME) could replace what i need from that 6 to mine...i mean of course..i would try to find a 6 @ a junkyard, etc...what parts would i need to do this? (If at all possible)

Elmer

Originally posted by GreenNuggs

Don't feel robbed man.  Do you think Ford Taurus owners should feel robbed because they don't have AWD?  If you wanted such, you would have chosen another car.  BTW, reports suggest AWD will be available in the estate cars (wagons) in the US just as it is overseas.  Designed to be a less expensive alternative to the Volvos and Audis I think.   It will be a shame it that is never used on the Sedans and Hatchs. Although, being that the undercarriage is probably the same, I bet it is not out of the realm of possibility for a buyer to do it themselves. The Eclipse guys convert FWD Spyders into AWD by taking parts off the GSX.  It costs alot ($6000-10,000); but to those who are mechanically inclined (and a lesser degree of sanity); it may be worth it.[/b]

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

I think it will be hard. First of all, from the pics I have seen, there is no real room for the drive shafts going from the diff to the wheels... ANd no space for anything really.. So you probably have to change the entire rear suspention "unit" and maybe do some real modifications on the main drive shaft tunnel under the car, as it in it's present state just fits the exhaust system - nothing else.

I would like to see pic of a AWD wagon on a lift...

·
Registered
895 Posts

Originally posted by eduartejr

Hmm....now i'm thinking...do you think that if and when Mazda decides to introduce an AWD 6 in the U.S. Market that anyone (ME) could replace what i need from that 6 to mine...i mean of course..i would try to find a 6 @ a junkyard, etc...what parts would i need to do this? (If at all possible)

Elmer

Originally posted by GreenNuggs

Don't feel robbed man.  Do you think Ford Taurus owners should feel robbed because they don't have AWD?  If you wanted such, you would have chosen another car.  BTW, reports suggest AWD will be available in the estate cars (wagons) in the US just as it is overseas.  Designed to be a less expensive alternative to the Volvos and Audis I think.   It will be a shame it that is never used on the Sedans and Hatchs. Although, being that the undercarriage is probably the same, I bet it is not out of the realm of possibility for a buyer to do it themselves. The Eclipse guys convert FWD Spyders into AWD by taking parts off the GSX.  It costs alot ($6000-10,000); but to those who are mechanically inclined (and a lesser degree of sanity); it may be worth it.[/b]
[/b][/quote]

duh

·
Registered
79 Posts

Originally posted by kyler13

AWD is a good insurance policy for cars like the Audi S4, RS6, and 911 (340hp and up).  Otherwise the added weight and cost is not worth it IMO.  I can't imagine an AWD system in a non-turbo 4 cylinder.  What a DOG!  (Sorry Blackbird :D )[/b]
AWD is great fun in the Subaru 2.5 RS, especially in slippery conditions. The car doesn't feel heavy at all. Pretty good package at 165 hp and $18K.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

What AWD does let you do is take turns and curves faster than a FWD or RWD car.  [/b]
Terrible, terrible statement.

Perhaps a bit of a brutal one on my part.

We discussed this before, and I stick to physics that AWD poses no direct handling benefits, only frontwards traction.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Originally posted by applejax

What AWD does let you do is take turns and curves faster than a FWD or RWD car.  [/b]

We discussed this before, and I stick to physics that AWD poses no direct handling benefits, only frontwards traction.[/b][/quote]

Hmmm...traction: the act of drawing or pulling, especially the drawing of a vehicle or load over a surface by motor power or adhesive friction, as of a wheel on a track or a tire on a road.

So are you saying if you're applying pull and/or adding adhesive friction to the end of the vehicle that previously did not have that, you're not providing any handling benefit?

My physics professor is rolling over in his grave.

·
Registered
895 Posts

Originally posted by applejax

We discussed this before, and I stick to physics that AWD poses no direct handling benefits, only frontwards traction.[/b][/quote]

Hmmm...traction: the act of drawing or pulling, especially the drawing of a vehicle or load over a surface by motor power or adhesive friction, as of a wheel on a track or a tire on a road.

So are you saying if you're applying pull and/or adding adhesive friction to the end of the vehicle that previously did not have that, you're not providing any handling benefit?

My physics professor is rolling over in his grave.

[/b][/quote]

Oh jesus, not this arguement again. I tried breaking it down to 6th grade physics and applesauce still wouldn't accept it. Good luck kyler13!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'AWD vs FWD'

Sorry, Arcanlaw!
:D

It's okay to disagree, but I just wanted him to realize that he used two contradicting phrases in the same sentence.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts