Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember seeing some type of AWD upgrade when the Speed6 first came out.

I did several searches and came up with nothing.

Which car(s) share the same AWD system as the speed6? Possibly a stronger rear diff or axles, whatever information you have if more than what I know right now.

Thanks, just looking at options.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Which car(s) share the same AWD system as the speed6? Possibly a stronger rear diff or axles, whatever information you have if more than what I know right now.
[/b]
it was believed to be Haledex, but a member contacted them as they said our AWD wasn't one of theirs. Haledex offers a performance module, but it doesn't work with the MS6.

·
Registered
210 Posts
It has been mentioned that the RX8 rear diff is the same as ours so if you want you could put in a RX8 race diff. The front diff may be the same as the Speed 3, although the final drive seems to be different. So that would have to be changed.

From what I have read our AWD system may be similar to the SACHS systems in Volvo's, but I dont think it is.

·
Registered
856 Posts
It has been mentioned that the RX8 rear diff is the same as ours so if you want you could put in a RX8 race diff. The front diff may be the same as the Speed 3, although the final drive seems to be different. So that would have to be changed.

From what I have read our AWD system may be similar to the SACHS systems in Volvo's, but I dont think it is.
[/b]
If I recall correctly, the Speed3 has a LSD. I think our Speed6 has an open differential in the front and limited slip in the rear.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
but how great would it be to have LSD front and rear?!?!?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
but how great would it be to have LSD front and rear?!?!?
[/b]

Without a LSD center differential I don't think it would be a very good idea.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
[/b]
I beg to differ and I am still planning on trying the Speed3 LSD when money and time permits...

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The RX-8 rear diff seems doable. I know Quaiffe maks one,but they cost $$$$$.

Anyone have anymore details on this?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
[/b]
Why do you feel this way? It would seem to me that once split to the front and rear any way of equalizing power between wheels is benificial... i have gotten inside wheel spin on the fronts in 1st gear.... not common but it might also limit AWD engaegment in other circumstances.... if i can drive only 2 tires and maintain traction why shouldent I skip my AWD for that circumstance?

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, the RX-8 shares the SAME differential as an RX-7.

So essentially,I could install an rx-7 LSDfor the rear, am I correct?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Also, the RX-9 shares the SAME differential as an RX-7.

So essentially,I could install an rx-7 LSDfor the rear, am I correct?
[/b]
I dont see the point in upgrading the rear diff if we dont know how good it actually is yet. If it aint broke dont break it.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm pretty sure its broke, but im not the expert.

I'll try to get it covered under warranty. I'm waiting to see what will happen to the other member here who has the same issue as I have.

The front tires spin like crazy up til 3rd gear.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm pretty sure its broke, but im not the expert.

I'll try to get it covered under warranty. I'm waiting to see what will happen to the other member here who has the same issue as I have.

The front tires spin like crazy up til 3rd gear.
[/b]

Oh... I wasent sure if you were talking about the rear torsens diff or the PTU coupling mounted in the rear.

You probably have a problem with the PTU coupling which has nothing to do with the rear diff.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Why do you feel this way? It would seem to me that once split to the front and rear any way of equalizing power between wheels is benificial... i have gotten inside wheel spin on the fronts in 1st gear.... not common but it might also limit AWD engaegment in other circumstances.... if i can drive only 2 tires and maintain traction why shouldent I skip my AWD for that circumstance?
[/b]
Were you doing donuts or something?

With no center differential and limited slip front and rear differentials, there will be a huge strain on one side of the front differential and the transfer case when the when the AWD kicks in. I think you'd just be asking for trouble without a center differential.

A retrofit to a full time AWD system with 3 LSD's is what this car needs, but I doubt it'll ever happen

·
Registered
353 Posts
A retrofit to a full time AWD system with 3 LSD's is what this car needs, but I doubt it'll ever happen
[/b]
Working on it. Figuring out how to make it work. Technically our cars are 4wd since there is no center diff. As well as people thinking only 10% of the power goes to the rear wheels in turns, well, if 50% of the power was, you would be in 4wd. There is nothing to allow all 4 wheels to spin at different speeds when the PTU is fully engaged. When it is partially engaged it may be possible but take a look at how it works.

A spool would be the easiest way to have it locked in 4wd all the time. But, this would only really be good for drag racing, or for anyone doing rally racing or racing on loose ground. The wheelbase is probably longer than my talons so i know a spool would be less bad than what it is on my talon. The longer the wheel base the less the wheels would be fighting each other.

As for a working center diff instead of the PTU, little harder to do. Have some ideas but need something that always puts powere there, but also lets them spin separately. Thats mainly the hard part.

Wish I could get a junked rear diff from an MS6 (needs the PTU still attached) so I can get some dimensions.

·
Registered
97 Posts
[/b]
actually the ms6 needs to lose at least 400lbs. it's too heavy. a smaller turning circle would be nice too.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
actually the ms6 needs to lose at least 400lbs. it's too heavy. [/b]

i don't understand comments like this. too heavy for what? reducing the weight of any car is helpful, which everyone understands. by that token...a z06 is also too heavy, if it were 200 lbs lighter it would be faster too :sarc:

this car is touted as a sport sedan/gt sedan, not a road rally machine like the mitsu/sub that so many people gush about. 3600 lbs is a normal amount of weight for a mid size sport sedan. sure it would be faster and handle a littler better if it werent as heavy, but what car wouldnt.

take away the weight, and that means losing amenities which starts to decrease the bang for the buck factor

ok, enough out of me, lol

·
Registered
97 Posts
its too heavy to be a sport sedan. it has way too much understeer and wallows about because of the weight.

what ameneties do you think it would have to lose in order to ditch 400lbs?

·
Registered
353 Posts
its too heavy to be a sport sedan. it has way too much understeer and wallows about because of the weight.

what ameneties do you think it would have to lose in order to ditch 400lbs?
[/b]
I believe a lot of the weight is in the added structural support. One being the front bumper as they made it to also help with rigidity. Lightweight parts though is probably the best way. I'm making rear upper control arms on my talon and they should weigh less than stock and be adjustable. Not sure if different control arms could be made for this car but thats one possibility. Carbon fiber hood helps. Maybe carbon fiber trunk lid etc. Not sure how much seats weigh but maybe racing seats if they are lighter (though I have leather so doubt I would replace mine) Anything that could be made out of a lighter material (aluminum, titanium etc) that is not necesarily a structural part would lighten it up.

Once I find some tubing I plan to make titanium strut bars for my Talon and the MS6. Now ya, not cheap but the welding and fabrication would be free. Just need the parts.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts