Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any info on the possibility of forcing the AWD into Sport mode full time? Easter eggs, upcoming chips, or any info would be nice.

I like the MS6, but it's just a FWD until you spin the tires or power around a corner, then the AWD seems to turn off as soon as it's not 'needed.'

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Does anyone have any info on the possibility of forcing the AWD into Sport mode full time? Easter eggs, upcoming chips, or any info would be nice.

I like the MS6, but it's just a FWD until you spin the tires or power around a corner, then the AWD seems to turn off as soon as it's not 'needed.'
[/b]
ur going to have to wait until someone crack the ECU. there will be a lot of capabilities for this car after that.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I dont see why Haldex wouldnt release a performance controller for the ms6 in the future to make it possible to stay awd fulltime.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I dont see why Haldex wouldnt release a performance controller for the ms6 in the future to make it possible to stay awd fulltime.
[/b]
everyone email them requesting one.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
The rear differential is water-cooled for a reason -- it gets too hot even when only engaged for short periods of time. It's not exactly designed to handle the kinds of power it does. You wouldn't want the thing on all the time the way the unit stands now.
[/b]
Yeah I was thinking the same exact thing. Having that differential run 100% of the time is asking for premature wear and a breakdown of the component since it was not designed to run full time like the Suburu systems.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I thought our rear diff was the same one that the RX-8 uses...the RX-8 seems to be able to use it full time :p

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yeah I was thinking the same exact thing. Having that differential run 100% of the time is asking for premature wear and a breakdown of the component since it was not designed to run full time like the Suburu systems.
[/b]
The rear diff does rotate all the time, though, even if it doesn't receive power from the engine. It would be interesting to see the temp differences between full-time use and part-time (eg. current mode) use.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I don't think it's the diff they are worried about. I think it's the clutchpack connecting the diff with the driveshaft... and I THINK that this is the part that is watercooled, not the diff....

·
Registered
77 Posts

[/b]

not true...read around....but the AWD system never complete disengages...the only time it is 100% front traction is during low speed....like during parking etc.

I'm assuming during a fast launch the car will go into sport mode 50/50 and in snow or sand go 50/50...during normal mode i'm guessing its 80/20 give or take....but do you really need 50/50 on the highway going in a straight line for miles on end? no. by not engaging 50/50 all the time...it's basically a benefit to you since its saving you gas = money and of course additional wear.

but it would be nice to be able to have the option of controlling it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I don't think it's the diff they are worried about. I think it's the clutchpack connecting the diff with the driveshaft... and I THINK that this is the part that is watercooled, not the diff....
[/b]
That makes sense. Too bad the rear diff is connected to the input shaft by a clutch mechanism instead of gears.

·
Registered
77 Posts
yes...it does indeed use the haldex awd system.

http://www.haldex-traction.com/default.htm

Ford cars with Haldex AWD system at Detroit Auto Show

Haldex informed in a press release dated April 2001, that an AWD contract had been secured from an American car manufacturer. At the recent auto show in Detroit the result was shown: production version of three new Ford cars – Ford Freestyle, Ford Five Hundred and Mercury Montego, all equipped with Haldex AWD system.

The three cars are built on similar platforms but target different customer groups. Freestyle is a crossover; Five Hundred a sedan; and Mercury Montego an upscale sedan.

The technology of the Haldex AWD system is similar to the one supplied to Volvo cars, e.g. Volvo XC90, using Haldex proprietary software that has been tailored to Ford’s specifications of vehicle dynamics.

The new Ford cars will arrive in the American show rooms this fall.

Haldex Traction Systems is a division in the Haldex group responsible for the development, manufacturing and marketing of high-performance, electronically controlled AWD systems.

The Haldex group (www.haldex.com), with headquarters in Stockholm, is a provider of proprietary and innovative solutions to the global vehicle industry, with emphasis on products related to vehicle dynamics, safety and environmental issues.

Haldex is listed on the Stockholm Stock Exchange and has annual sales of 6.5 billion SEK with 4,000 employees

For further information contact
Claes Warnander, President and CEO or

Lennart Hammargren, CFO,
phone +46 8 545 049 50. [/b]
sorry for breaking out the "F" word...I know we don't like to hear it too often. But yeah...Ford secured a contract with these people and it grandfathered it's way into mazda vehicles...which isnt a bad thing. The bugatti Veyheron (sp?) uses a haldex system. Errr...theres a huge list of cars that use haldex (like the VW R32, a bunch of volvos, the Audi S3 (bad-arse looking little car) etc...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Driving with it locked isn't going to be fun on dry pavement... Just like a part-time 4WD system on the truck, there's no give in the system. Driving around corners will cause drivetrain windup and something will let go.

Not sure how long it can stay partially locked, but I doubt it is just driving down the highway. Way too much heat/wear on the clutch-based system.

It also unlocks when stability control is active.

-B

·
Registered
50 Posts
[snip] during normal mode i'm guessing its 80/20 give or take [snip]

[/b]
My understanding is that the car is only capable of splitting the torque in the AWD system in two ways: 100/0 or 50/50 with nothing in between (e.g. no 80/20). Someone correct me if I'm wrong as I can't find the link that criticized this setup at the moment.

Of course, the "brain" to the AWD I believe has three different "modes" (which maybe we can someday tap into to get to that 'option' of which mode to run in if heat isn't an issue): Normal, Sport, Snow.

Some generic info on the Haldex system(s):
http://www.haldex-traction.com/default.htm , Technical Information (at top), Control Samples (on right)

There apparently are three different generations of the Haldex AWD system (just one system I guess??):
http://www.haldex-traction.com/default.htm , Download Material (scroll down)

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Isisn't it cooled via the radiator which is right off a 6i, just that the coolant resevior is bigger. If so a larger radiator would greatly help. However I agree w/ most other ppl's posts that its pointless when doing boring type driving

·
Registered
870 Posts
My understanding is that the car is only capable of splitting the torque in the AWD system in two ways: 100/0 or 50/50 with nothing in between (e.g. no 80/20). Someone correct me if I'm wrong as I can't find the link that criticized this setup at the moment.

Of course, the "brain" to the AWD I believe has three different "modes" (which maybe we can someday tap into to get to that 'option' of which mode to run in if heat isn't an issue): Normal, Sport, Snow.

Some generic info on the Haldex system(s):
http://www.haldex-traction.com/default.htm , Technical Information (at top), Control Samples (on right)

There apparently are three different generations of the Haldex AWD system (just one system I guess??):
http://www.haldex-traction.com/default.htm , Download Material (scroll down)
[/b]
I was under the impression it was 90/10 and 50/50. I could be wrong and can't find anywhere that has the info. You can feel the AWD kick in when you floor it. Also during the winter it's quite obvious as the back end slightly slips out. Or you go from a stop light on a snow covered road as fast as on pavement :) Well maybe not quite as fast but it's nuts.

I find it very responsive. I thought the delay would be noticable but I can't tell the difference. Also I was under the impression the reasoning behing this system was for performance. So wouldn't this significantly reduce performance?

·
Registered
215 Posts
not true...read around....but the AWD system never complete disengages...the only time it is 100% front traction is during low speed....like during parking etc.

I'm assuming during a fast launch the car will go into sport mode 50/50 and in snow or sand go 50/50...during normal mode i'm guessing its 80/20 give or take....but do you really need 50/50 on the highway going in a straight line for miles on end? no. by not engaging 50/50 all the time...it's basically a benefit to you since its saving you gas = money and of course additional wear.

[/b]
Legacy GT gets better gas mileage than us and there full time AWD.. Plus i hear that the Mazdaspeed 3 will have the same engine as us but not the AWD but rather a Front limited slip diff would it be possible to add this to the mazdaspeed 6 to make it an even better performer. Also yes the r32 has haldex and they also have a great aftermarket support with eip tuning and guess what eip tuning made... a haldex awd controller info here... http://www.eiptuning.com/eip/haldex.html (so jealous) why doesnt that CP-E company make the Mazdaspeed 6'ers one

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
we probably don't need a front LSD. when the car slips, it goes into awd and the rear differential has a LSD. front LSD's are only needed for FWDs.

as for the LGT, don't forget that it is much lighter than the ms6. that probably attributes to the better gas mileage.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
From Crossbow on 6tech...

Interestingly enough this is not actually a Haldex unit...

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:03 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its very similar to the Haldex system found in the volvo and ford offerings though.
http://www.haldex-traction.com/default.htm

It could just be a modified variant of that...we'll know 100% once the service manuals are available around summer.

All the press releases fail to mention the technology behind the AWD system...just that its 100:0, followed by spurts of up to 50:50. See the Golf R32 for examples of a similar system...just subtract 37 bhp and 300 lbs, and thats the golf.

Cept the golf doesn't have a rear LSD, but does have wider wheels and tires, and the tires are goodyear F1's.

Quote:
Since 270-plus horsepower through the front wheels would cause inevitable torque steer and difficulty putting power to the ground, the MAZDASPEED6 employs an all-new Active Torque Split All-Wheel Drive system, which yields a superb balance between Zoom-Zoom driving excitement and assured stability under all road conditions. Unlike many competitor offerings, the torque transfer system found in the MAZDASPEED6 — which adjusts front/rear torque distribution between 100:0 and 50:50 for optimum drive power to each wheel — seamlessly integrates the inherent stability of all-wheel drive. Active Torque Coupling is controlled electronically and can react to wheel slippage much more quickly than conventional gear- or fluid-controlled systems.

Incorporating real-time input data on steering angle, yaw rate, lateral G force and engine status to determine road surface and driving conditions, the Active Torque Split system selects between three modes of front/rear torque distribution, allowing the driver an exceptionally pleasurable driving experience.

Normal, Sports and Snow (slippery) modes encompass the full range of potential driving conditions and ensure the MAZDASPEED6 delivers consistent performance regardless of the situation. To ensure consistent power delivery under all weather and driving conditions, the Power Take Off center differential aggressively distributes torque to the rear axle and is water-cooled.

Filling out the torque transfer system is a beefed-up rear differential that delivers unparalleled reliability. Increased torsion rigidity of the propeller shaft and rear differential mount enhances torque transfer noticeably more than competitor’s vehicles. Integrating a limited-slip differential optimizes torque transfer to the left and right rear wheels and ensures excellent power delivery when cornering or on slippery surfaces.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts
About this Discussion
120 Replies
43 Participants
NoVaSpeed6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing