Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago, I drove an Impreza wagon (not a WRX). It felt solid overall, but I found the brakes to be, what I would consider substandard. Teh braking distance felt terrible. Someone I know has an Outback, and while he swears by it, he also mentioned poor braking performance.

So, based on this extremely limited data, it makes me wonder if AWD has an effect on braking. Perhaps the extra weight of an AWD system increases stopping distances? Perhaps some other component influences the stopping distance or the brakes themselves? Or perhaps this is just a Subaru thing, or perhaps it's just an Impreza and Outback thing.

From my experience, it's a good thing the Impreza has AWD to help it's maneuverability to avoid an emergency situation, because it's brakes surely won't.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Replying to Topic 'AWD = poor braking?'

Originally posted by applejax

A while ago, I drove an Impreza wagon (not a WRX).  It felt solid overall, but I found the brakes to be, what I would consider substandard.  Teh braking distance felt terrible.  Someone I know has an Outback, and while he swears by it, he also mentioned poor braking performance.  

So, based on this extremely limited data, it makes me wonder if AWD has an effect on braking.  Perhaps the extra weight of an AWD system increases stopping distances?  Perhaps some other component influences the stopping distance or the brakes themselves?  Or perhaps this is just a Subaru thing, or perhaps it's just an Impreza and Outback thing.

From my experience, it's a good thing the Impreza has AWD to help it's maneuverability to avoid an emergency situation, because it's brakes surely won't.[/b]
Ever tried a Impreza WRX? Don't think so, because that brakes quite strong. Above average. That's why I think Subaru delivers the 'standard' Impreza/Outback with too little discbrakes (Note: I've never sit in a normal Impreza/Outback).
The extra weight will cause a slightly longer stoppingdistance, but that's hardly noticeable..

Coen

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Replying to Topic 'AWD = poor braking?'

The braking feel in Subarus is a little different than most people are used to. It has a two stage engagement, meaning the initial feel will be mushy, followed by more positive engagement when you continue to push the pedal down. This is meant to reduce panic braking and brake touchiness. It's one of many Subie quirks. On the negative side, there has been some talk that Subaru's ABS system is overactive, and can engage at odd times, like say when you're driving over irregular road surfaces.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts