Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

First I want to thank you all for your previous advice regarding the purchasing of a Mazda 6. We've looked long and hard at all of our options, and I think at the end we found something we will be super happy with.

Last night we were at Avante Mazda, speaking to Greg. Really nice guy. We struck a deal on a 2007 Mazda 6, I4, manual, sport package. Tungsten grey is what we're looking for. Finally, after all this time, the countdown is on until the car is delivered. I don't want to ramble about how excited I am, but suffice to say, I can't wait to hug my new baby.

I think we won't be doing much to in for the first little while. Maybe some interior painting and detailing, and in the summer, depending on how prices go, I'd like to get a set of wheels and a body kit.

Having said that, we're now considering saving for a set of winter tires? Anyone run winter rubber, and do you suggest it? What kinds of brands and sizes should we be looking at?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Congratulations!!!!! WEEEEE!

gotta LOVE that feeling of getting a new car~ I still remember how excited i was when I first got it.. hehehe

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I suggest 16' wheels for winter
Mazda6smtx managed to put 15' but I think that's excessive

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I have 16" steelies running throughout the year, I like them cuz they look cool. :D Sothea knows what kinda steelies I'm talking about. Not those steelies from CrapyTire...lol

·
Registered
682 Posts
I would really recommend buying Mazda steel rims instead of aftermarkets. I have had trouble in the past with aftermarket steel rims that had slightly incorrect bolt patterns and would shake at high speed.

Keep an eye out for Mazda dealership specials in the coming weeks. Or, you may be able to do better if you do some research and leg work with a company like Tirerack, or a local shop.

I have Michelin Pilot Arctic Alpin's on 16" steelies, and they have been great for me so far. I think the full set, rims and tires balanced and installed was around $900 (this was three years ago, though).

Happy shopping!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a lot for the advice everyone. I think when I get more details on the delivery date of the car, I'll talk to the dealership and look around. I like the idea of going with Mazda steel wheels, but I don't know if its worth the extra money its sure to cost.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Thanks a lot for the advice everyone. I think when I get more details on the delivery date of the car, I'll talk to the dealership and look around. I like the idea of going with Mazda steel wheels, but I don't know if its worth the extra money its sure to cost.
[/b]
Trust me, it's worth any penny...

The snow tires actually saved my life last year!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Agreed...snows are a worthwhile investment for the winter. i was disappointed with the way my car drove in the winter last year.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yeah definately get Snow tires! I've got a set for each vehicle, dad's getting pissed at me because it feels like a tireshop in the house but I won't drive without having them on! You'll know the difference once you get them.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm going in today to get the downpayment out of the way, then whenever I get the car, I should have a couple of weeks to get used to it before I start looking for the winter rubber.

Just one more question:

How come it seems that when putting winter tires on, everyone gets a smaller size wheel?

·
Registered
128 Posts
They are smaller I believe for 2 reasons, winter tires tend to have a bit more tread and are bigger, therefore you may get the tire rubbing on the inside of your fender when hitting bumps, secondly, the bigger the winter tire, the less useful it is because it's wider, so when trying to stop etc, it's more easier to loose control even while running winters, not a 100% sure on the last point so I could be wrong but I believe that's why.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Again, thanks for the replies. Something for me to think about and research further.

Update on the car: the papers are signed, so the car is officialy mine, now its the hard part: waiting. They were unable to find the colour, but ordered something else. I didn't want the something else. Its ok though, as apparently they can use the car to trade with other dealerships. Worst case scenario: car comes from the factory, which will take 4-6 weeks. Oh, the pains of waiting. And it seems that everywhere I look, I see a 6 that is just screaming out at me :(

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
check out 1010tires.com or tiretrends.com for reviews on tires... good luck and welcome !!

the other reason, also, it's cheaper than to go with 17" winter tires/...

·
Registered
128 Posts
That tooo ....hehe

·
Registered
112 Posts
Here are the facts on winter tires:

The only reason to go with a 16 inch tire/rim size is to save money. You can get 17 inch alloy rims and tires, but they will cost much more than 16 inch steel rims and tires. Finding a 17 inch steel rim is also virtually impossible, unless it is from a BMW dealer, for a BMW.

The overall diameter of properly sized snow tires will be the same as your summer tires. Therefore, no change to your speedometer readings or suspension clearance.

Yes, you should go to a 205 width at maximum (as opposed to the stock 215 width), to get more bite in deep snow and more pressure on ice (a narrow tire has a more concentrated contact patch with the road).

As for fuel consumption, it will likely increase slightly, due to the higher rolling resistance of a nobbier tire, but it is marginal, and the extra grip is night and day vs. all season tires. The wind resistance of nobbier tires also is higher, but the narrower width should help offset that.

As for brands, if you have the cash go for Dunlop Wintersport M3s. If not, go to Crappy Tire for the Icetrac tires. The Crappy tire rims have a different offset from stock mazda rims (they sit out a little more), but they clear the fenders and suspension, even when the car is fully loaded, if you run a 205 width tire.

Hope this helps!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts