21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just a quick note on the Optima Red-
It does use a spacer that clips to the bottom

thoughtfully included as a guard clipped to the top until sold-

Here it's the red bit under the battery-

Yes, same here. And like you, the black cover around the battery did not fit and was removed. Is that a problem?

Apparently, that is why Optima does not list a compatible battery for this vehicle.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Like has been said Autozone's catalog is not right. When I needed a battery, I brought my old one in and compared to their suggestion. Not even close in height, so we tried the "35" group and it was the right height. The part # on the battery is "35-DLG" (see picture below). I also had the problem with the positive terminal being loose. I ended up crimping it a little with a pliers, and it has worked for a year now (crossing fingers).
Thanks for the info!

Mine finally crapped out, needed to replace it. Autozone was out of the gold, but had the silver. Opted for it as I have been walking the line with my battery for a while now.

·
Registered
304 Posts
mine died so i guess im gonna have to go pick a new batt up today

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yes, same here. And like you, the black cover around the battery did not fit and was removed. Is that a problem?

Apparently, that is why Optima does not list a compatible battery for this vehicle.
What size Optima is this? Mine is ready to be replaced.

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
That's a 34R Red
It is a touch heavier, but...

-Width & height are the same as the 35 series red top, but it's 10" long instead of 9", so fits the tray better front to back.
- - After adding the base described above it only needed a very slight adjustment of the hold down bracket to be nicely secure.

-It's a "R", meaning the terminals are reversed.
- - Means that when it's in the car, it has the same terminal orientation as the OEM battery.
- - - Terminals are towards the passenger side, positive towards the front. OEM cables match perfectly.

-The 34 series is also stronger than the 35 series
- - 35 is (CCA @ 0° F = 720 ) and (CA @ 32° F = 910 )
- - 34 is (CCA @ 0° F = 800 ) and (CA @ 32° F = 1000 )

I've had this one since Jan 2010, and so far it's been excellent

Reactions: TopazM3

·
Registered
572 Posts
My 06 V6 takes the 41 series. Bot anothr one from the dealership for 115.00, no issues wat so evr.

·
Registered
186 Posts
That's a 34R Red
It is a touch heavier, but...

-Width & height are the same as the 35 series red top, but it's 10" long instead of 9", so fits the tray better front to back.
- - After adding the base described above it only needed a very slight adjustment of the hold down bracket to be nicely secure.

-It's a "R", meaning the terminals are reversed.
- - Means that when it's in the car, it has the same terminal orientation as the OEM battery.
- - - Terminals are towards the passenger side, positive towards the front. OEM cables match perfectly.

-The 34 series is also stronger than the 35 series
- - 35 is (CCA @ 0° F = 720 ) and (CA @ 32° F = 910 )
- - 34 is (CCA @ 0° F = 800 ) and (CA @ 32° F = 1000 )

I've had this one since Jan 2010, and so far it's been excellent
Changed mine today. Got the 34R online with an Advance 20% online discount. About 4 minutes of time. Even got the heat shield around the new battery. Thanks for the info! Kyle:cheers:

·
Registered
708 Posts
Had my Duralast red top go out on me yesterday. POS batteries. I bought it 3/09 and its already done. Funny how they give a 7 year warranty on a battery that doesn't even make it to 2 years! I did not want another crappy Duralast battery.

I had the Autozone manager put my credit from the Duralast warranty into getting the Optima 34R. So I had to add $100 for the difference. Fits great and still uses the shield perfectly. Plus with 800/1000CCA's, great for the cold here. My Duralast red only had 590CCA's.

·
Registered
181 Posts
whats the part number for the optima 34r battery? It seems like thats the best option.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts