Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Just had an interesting experience..

Went to autozone to have the battery checked. Checked at the dealer last week as being NG and wanted a 2nd opinion.

Anyway, they said NG as well.. and had 2 that were "supposedly" for my car.

I got the "Gold Duralast".. As he tried to install it, first he had to put a spacer on the bottom so it would fit.. then he couldn't get the positive clamp to tighten enough. When tightened as much as he could, there was a still a bit of wiggle.

I had them put the original back in and give me a refund.. next stop NAPA I guess...

Anyone have this problem?

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Yeah, the stock battery is freakishly tall. There's only a couple OTS batteries that fit, a Red Top Optima, and something else, but I forget atm. Otherwise, people end up fabbing up a new tie down or somehow making it work. I'm in that boat as my battery died, but I had no time to 'shop' for one, so I just grabbed a Sears Gold. Works great, fits like shit. I'd find one that fit correctly as you seem to have the time.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
The terminal posts were too small for your car's clamps?
I'm running a red top Duralast. I think they're shitty batteries, but they warranty them, so whatever.
But it fits fine. Can't vouch for the gold tops.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yeah, He was gonna try the Red top but they were out of stock...

Also I had to trim away the plastic? liner so he could get the battery cables on before we found out the positive wouldn't clamp down...

Maybe I'll try the Redtop .. It fit without messing with anything?

·
Registered
5,342 Posts

Like a glove. I think the PN is like 65-DL or something. IIRC, it's NOT the size AutoZones catalogue suggests using. I think the correct size was out of stock when I bought it, so they sold me that one. I've been through 2 in almost 3 years. Seconds was warrantied. Not the best batteries in the world. But cheap and do fit without nodding anything at all.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a Duralast Gold top battery in my car, I've had it for about a year and a half. No fitment issues whatsoever, the guy you worked with must have grabbed the wrong size.

As I recall, Autozone lists the wrong group for our battery size - I think it should be 35.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Maybe it's 35-DL then. I mean, obviously DL = Duralast. But, I can't recall the numerical value.
I can't tell in my picture up there either. lol!

It look's like 35.

Either way, I agree there's something up with their reference catalog. I do remember that.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Maybe it's 35-DL then. I mean, obviously DL = Duralast. But, I can't recall the numerical value.
I can't tell in my picture up there either. lol!

It look's like 35.

Either way, I agree there's something up with their reference catalog. I do remember that.

I hate the redtop duralast. The PO of my car put one in and i can already tell even after a year (going by date stamp on batt) that it is already going bad.

Reactions: IHeartGroceries

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
It probably is. Lol!!
My first one lasted a year and a half. Had it tested and swapped out FOC at AutoZone.
New ones been in about a year. I just simulated a load test on it over the weekend. Still holding strong.

Like I said, not the best. But, cheap and it fits. And their warranty in 100% no hassle. So meh.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
i have a duralast gold and i had to raise my battery tray about 2 inches with spacers and rig up the tie down till i can fab a new one... tray is still wider then the battery. its much smaller then the stocker but puts out more cca..

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Just a quick note on the Optima Red-
It does use a spacer that clips to the bottom

thoughtfully included as a guard clipped to the top until sold-

Here it's the red bit under the battery-

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
What he tried to fit was a 96R-DLG... sizing wasn't bad except it was about 1 1/2" shorter. He clipped on a spacer on the bottom ( about 3/4" thick") then I had to cutout the two corners of that plastic battery shield so he could get the cables on. It wasn't bad but the deal
killer was he couldn't get the positive cable on tight enough so it wouldn't move a bit.
He was gonna try the 40R-DL Redtop but No Stock...

So I'm looking for a 35R-DL ?

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Yes. 35 is what's on my car.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Like has been said Autozone's catalog is not right. When I needed a battery, I brought my old one in and compared to their suggestion. Not even close in height, so we tried the "35" group and it was the right height. The part # on the battery is "35-DLG" (see picture below). I also had the problem with the positive terminal being loose. I ended up crimping it a little with a pliers, and it has worked for a year now (crossing fingers).

Here are some crappy cell phone pics

Attachments

Reactions: rjj130

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Gold-Duralast/Battery

For your 2006 Mazda Mazda6 2.3L MFI Turbo DOHC 4cyl

Part Number: 96R-DLG

this is what autozone said my car requires.... its smaller then stock by a lot... is this shit wrong cuz if so they are going to fix it...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Loose Positive Post Mystery Solved

Ended up at Advanced Auto Sunday with the same result ( diff battery)
This time I was watching when he tried to tighten the positive clamp.
Both places put these felt "anti-corrosion" washers on the posts.
Well, when you put a 1/4" thick washer on the bottom of a tapered post, the clamp hits higher on the tapered post and you can't tighten it all the way.
I told him to take off the felt washer and it fit fine.
I'm thinking the Autozone battery would've fit if we did the same over there...

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
you don't need those felt washers its bs.. i actually emailed duralast directly about battery size. the size they have listed i believe is that stock size for a regular Mazda 6 not a speed 6 which a larger battery was used. ill see how they respond

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey huys. I did a quick search on what battery to get and read someone said the duralast gold 24f fit really well.

I went to autozone and asked the guy for that battery and he said there was no way it would fit because he believed the one listed was the only one, but ne way we went ahead and put the 24f in and it was perfeect fitment.

Only difference was it was half inch longer which was no problem because theres room in the tray. I think im going to stick with that one from now on.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts