Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's good fam!? Excuse my failed attempt at humor with that title. This is a read so if you got a sec grab a Snickers.. Not a noob by no means, been here a while but got locked out of my old Gmail, and suffer from CRAMT so had to make a new one??Anywho... Syx hasn't been feeling well at all, I think there's an automotive coronavirus?This past week she decided to show her ass, royally. My wife took her for an outting, called and said there "was something wonky with the car" ?? I was indisposed so I couldn't tend too it then. The next day my mother-in-law came and got it, upon her return she regurgitated my wife's motion. So after a looooong shift I decided it was time to have a look see.

Besides the blatant disregard for vehicular cleanliness, everything seemed visually on spot. It was when I turned the key the shit hit the fan. Missing, bucking, spitting & popping. This was not MY Syx at all. So of course I proceeded with the typical inquiry..where did u get gas, was it doing this when you left..y'all know the soundtrack. You should know the responses. Baffled, I shot her to the parts house for a code read. Comes back with DS O2 bank 1 inefficient and maf inefficient something or another. Out comes the Plastic, got some crc maf cleaner and seafoam high mileage, limped it home and went to work on it. Btw picked up a new pcv and hose at the same time. Checked all hoses and fittings for leaks.. none, checked timing chain for tension, seemed fine. Oil was slightly low so topped off. I assume that was due to the pcv hose apparently collapsing on itself, as per inspection once removed. The valve was past due so hey I done good right...Next day, buttoned her up and hit the key same issues. Got her to the house broke out the multimeter, everything seemed good except 1 coil ohmed at .4, replaced. All plugs inspected cleaned and checked for gap, .52 respectively. FP has sufficient flow and all. Stumped, seafoam in the booster line. Car cranks after treatment perfectly..freaked my neighbors out with the smoke show and was a absolute beast on the shake down. Got her home slept and headed to grind that next morning....xmas tree dash...tcs, abs, sm, at, cel and battery light. Shitty idle won't rev past 1900 with foot to the floor. Spitting popping bogging and won't even get outta the driveway due to stalling EVERYTIME???? Bosch obdll enhanced won't work and parts house doesn't make house calls. What the ever loving fuck!?!? Went from bad too better than before, to absolute piece of shit. Anyone have a clue? New maf on the way via Rock Auto. New plugs purchased and installed after shakedown. Egr removed and cleaned as well. The battery light troubles me. Batt and alt are out the box so why the light? Hasn't jumped time per neighbor (ase master mech) I'm by no means limited in my knowledge of mechanics by a long shot. This has me floored. Engine has seen some things in it's 181k life but like I said, it was running decently before all this. Just put a rebuilt atx in it 3 weeks ago. No issues. Light puffs of blue smoke due to the pcv creating blow by but no ticks, pops or hiccups.Im confused...please don't tell me I need a transplant, the engine was strong as it could be for the mileage.
Power plant is the 3L and the only mod was the air box and useless fpr vac line delete. Help please...sorry for the novel but details are key. Thanks fam????
Ps no offense to all those suffering from this horrible virus. I by no means want to make light of such a world wide devistating situation and I pray for all those affected.

·
Super Moderator
17,289 Posts
Sorry to hear about all the crazy ups and downs.

Did you check the accordian hose? How many miles? Bad cat?
I'm with this guy - check vacuum hoses, accordion tube, etc. I would say MAF too but you've got one ordered - can always try to clean yours real quick while you wait.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes took the IM off to do the pcv and while it was off I checked the intake tube then. No rips or cracks. Cleaned the maf again. Cleaned the intake runners and air filter.
I took everything back apart last night before the post and rechecked. The oil level seem a bit low but nothing too alarming considering they don't tend to read right anyway. Plus it's now been about a day since it has been a cranked. I'm lost..need this thing back up and running. GM stopped production so I'm not quite sure what that means financially. Can't seem to win.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Automotive coronavirus? 2020 has been so messed up that honestly I wouldn't be surprised.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Unfortunately I don't have any advice to offer but I'm interested to see if you find out what's wrong.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I had some codes pulled today...what y'all think. Remember now she was running well before all this. Besides needing a deep engine bay detail, no issues. Now this...MAN I musta done some pretty foul things to deserve this. I had a video but. I accidentally erased it trying to edit my quite abusive language towards it. So Im taking from this that my Tps /IAC is shot and the maf as well? I could be reading too much...into it. I have a Denso Maf ordered and it should be here monday. I already sourced a used throttle body for $60 but am holding off on it until new maf comes in. On a positive note...no 02, evap or misfire code so that's a plus right? Thoughts??
IMG_20200319_142002.jpg
IMG_20200319_141946.jpg
IMG_20200319_141951.jpg
IMG_20200319_142002.jpg
IMG_20200319_141946.jpg
IMG_20200319_141951.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Providing life's current situation doesn't have a alertnate plan...new tps, maf, coils and more explatives. We shall see, said the blind man too his deaf son...I'm a us navy 5yr vet. I will not let the ship sink without a hell of a battle. Call it crazy but that's how I am wired. Can help it I was drawn like this. I will be keeping u guys posted no matter the outcome.

·
Super Moderator
17,289 Posts
Dang, sorry to see all the codes. This is beyond my realm of knowledge unfortunately, but maybe @DrFeelGood or @DJ Raydiate can offer some tips.

·
Registered
652 Posts
How do all of the grounds look? There is a little ground block down under the air box by the fuse panel in the engine bay. While I'm not sure what all is grounded to it, it gets over looked.

The TB codes sound like the TB is shot. Turn off all accessories then turn off the car and remove the key. Put the key back in and slowly turn the key to the on position but do not start the car. The TB should run a cycle and you can hear it with the hood open and everything off. If it doesn't run its cycle or is really loud then it's more than likely shot. I had luck getting a used one from the junk yard and its been on the car for a while now. Unfortunately the TPS is built into the TB so there isn't a serviceable TPS like some other cars.

As for the MAF, I'm not sure. I haven't had to deal with that yet (knock on wood) and hopefully by the time it has issues, I'll be ready to do an engine swap anyway and still wont have to deal with it :LOL:.

Reactions: Byakuya

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well got the new maf today? Hesitated 3hrs before install. Swapped them out and said a prayer...this? went to? in less than a second. Life has a way of dry humpin me into submission. Honestly not shocked it didn't fix it. Would been too easy. Found a used tb online for less than $50 shipped buuut. The way my bank account is set up, it might as well be a billion. Anyone got Trumps #? If so, shoot him a message and tell him I need that stimulus yesterday. Really on the fence about this used "tested good" tb. How was it tested good? Am I gonna get what I pay for? Is it even gonna solve it? This thing is turning me into one of those "load the parts cannon" guys and my pockets just cant deal. I found a donor car local, but its on the moon with no ride. I mean how can you beat get all you need as long as you pull it, prices? I can tell you how...it's sitting in the driveway refusing to start now. Yeah now I have a cranks but no start condition.? Ive seen a lot about this Cordova upgrade..is this something that would be relevant to my situation? Is it pricey..anyone that has done it, happy and wanna donate their OE TB to the cause? I'll fill yall in as tbe new info comes in. Till then stay thirsty my friends.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@TalonTsi90 Well not really sure what the future holds. I'm so broke if you had to pay for oxygen I'd be way past due. Out here like lemme get a hit, just one hit. Well as far as my address is concerned.. I'm currently staying at one of those possibly pay by the hour spots.(don't ask) No sob story..I smile inspite and thank my maker for life and health even without the wealth. Unfortunately I'm unable to pay shipping..I wish. That one online was dumb cheap..like too good to be true cheap. They shot me a email that crushed y soul...free shipping if ordered within a certain time. Im like really?????? I'm In bubbaville USA in a flea bag spot with a bum ride. I think the overseer is "artificial adrenaline" dependant. Who knocks for rent money @ 4 in the am? 3 days and 8hrs early. Looking like she been on an all night flight. I digress...yea I could do like cash app installments or something once things settle. Production has officially been haulted at the plant... talks are until May. Really hope that's just skuttle butt if not....I'm ditw and that is something I'm not mentally or financially prepared for..

I'll pm my officials✌?

·
Registered
5 Posts
When you go from running to all of a sudden massive codes, I'd start looking at electrical. Don't just fire the parts cannon, check if there are any weird connections, wires rubbing on something, close to a cat and melting, or just unplugged. Grounds are a big thing. I don't have a wiring diagram but maybe those codes may all be related? Is there a ground wire that has corroded or just gone bad near where you were working on the PCV? That is where I would start looking.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a Haynes and have been studying it for days... I removed the I'm and checked all the entire loom for rips and breaks. Nothing... My brother in-law came by and looked it over. He's a Toyota tech down in Alabama. Says he can't see anything either...but come to find out the filter wasn't in the box when I got those codes. Replaced filter with new one. Cleared codes and now only code present is calling for the tps. A fellow forum member says he has one but I haven't been able to get intouch with him yet. Ive been kinda sick so I haven't been too social. My family is distancing themselves from me. I don't have RONA JUST BEEN OUT HERE IN THESE STORMS TRYIN YO FIGURE THIS THING OUT. Stress and a lack of sleep will do that too ya. As soon as I get the new tb I'll be back on. .keep me in your prayers and I will you.

·
Super Moderator
17,289 Posts
Glad most of your codes went away! I've accidentally forgot to plug the MAF back in once and boy oh boy did the car throw some codes lol.

Let's hope the guy with the tps gets back to yo - if you start a Conversation with them, the forum should send them an email notification.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good news I think...got syx up and going today. My diagnosis..pcv & hose failure caused excessive blow-by. Oil and vapors followed path of least resistance. Gaskets.. exhaust..idk...strange cause pcv was changed. Throttle body took a major hit. Took it off and opened it up...flooded with oil..IM removed soaked. Oil seeping through Vc grommets. Pulled all 6 plugs...black..(new so hella shocked). TB was opened tps cleaned throughly IM cleaned. Accordian hose and filter box cleaned. New VC gasket set. Fresh oil change. Gutted cats and O2 non foulers installed. 6 new plugs and a full tank of go juice...with a Seafoam treatment. Fucker fired up like nothing happened..after slight protest. Chugged and lugged but worked itself out. RUNNING. DROVE IT!!!
Missing...think its a bad coil. Swapped around 2,4 and 6, got better and better. Almost positive its a coil. Ordered all six. Had gotten diagnosed with bent valves, jumped time, blown head gaskets...you name it. Next on the replacement list, knock sensor, ovc's and gaskets. Would love to find a smaller hm balancer. This has been a journey. Any advice, thoughts, recommendations? I'm all ears...thanks for your time...as always I'll keep you posted.

Sorry didn't save pics of Plugs IM and other work
This phone makes it look waaay different. Remember tho it called for the TB to be replaced..had you seen it, Let's just say I cried. Literally.
IMG_20200402_170603.jpg
IMG_20200402_170624.jpg
IMG_20200402_170544.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you still need the TB let me know, i can pull it tomorrow or later tonight.
Bro I was actually worried about you. Not for the TB so much as for the way things are going in the country. Glad to see you are good. Yea I took it apart, drenched it on parts cleaner and put it back on. It has a flat spot on the main planetary gear..it's "working" but for how long. Ok tried to clock the gear so that it missed me flat spot but by the looks of it, that's kinda impossible. It's the gear that controls the butterfly valve so...yea. if you can get it off id most definitely appreciate it. My luck I'll start driving it on a regular and it'll crap on me in the boonies or worse, my wife. Glad to see you're good. If you need my info lmk I'll shoot it Thanks bro.

Btw..are you the TalonTsi on YouTube killing everything they threw at ya..if so broooooo. I WANT THAT CAR!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts