Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I did a search and looked through a lot of forums already to find an answer)

I want to get the Autometer Nexus boost and oil temperature gauge. I want to get the Lotek 3 gauge pod, and don't really want to leave the 3rd slot empty.

What would be a good 3rd gauge to get?

I was thinking exhaust temp, is there something that would be more useful? Air/Fuel costs a little too much and will have to wait till later. Opinions appreciated.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Oil presure for sure. The is what i would get.
[/b]

no.. TRANNY TEMP! most important thing to monitor... besides all of those other things ;)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
the difference is.. our trannys run hot.. there hasnt been TO many people complaining about the oil pressure in our cars going low.. our tranny temp on the other hand... besides if your tranny temp reads hot.. you can put a tranny cooler in easily.. if your oil pressure runs low/or high what are you going to do? cry about it to your dealer and they are going to say.. how much pressure is it suppost to be running? and your going to say... hm... i dont know.. im the only one running this stupid fucking gauge that no real good use comes from the info it reads.

·
Registered
856 Posts
the difference is.. our trannys run hot.. there hasnt been TO many people complaining about the oil pressure in our cars going low.. our tranny temp on the other hand... besides if your tranny temp reads hot.. you can put a tranny cooler in easily.. if your oil pressure runs low/or high what are you going to do? cry about it to your dealer and they are going to say.. how much pressure is it suppost to be running? and your going to say... hm... i dont know.. im the only one running this stupid fucking gauge that no real good use comes from the info it reads.
[/b]
I noticed you said "our trannys"
Speed6 is a different beast, sure the housings may be very very similar, but it is a different design after all. We do have a water cooled PTU just off the transmission.

I would go with oil pressure, especially since its very crucial to the turbo as well.

If I had room i would have the following...in priority order...
Boost
AFR
Exhaust temp
Oil Pressure
Oil temp

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I noticed you said "our trannys"
Speed6 is a different beast, sure the housings may be very very similar, but it is a different design after all. We do have a water cooled PTU just off the transmission.

I would go with oil pressure, especially since its very crucial to the turbo as well.

If I had room i would have the following...in priority order...
Boost
AFR
Exhaust temp
Oil Pressure
Oil temp
[/b]
Sorry, but am I misunderstanding you? You said get an oil pressure gauge, but then based on your list, exhaust temp is above oil pressure :huh:

·
Registered
829 Posts
Sorry, but am I misunderstanding you? You said get an oil pressure gauge, but then based on your list, exhaust temp is above oil pressure :huh:
[/b]
that's cause the OP is asking what ELSE to put on there, if you read his post more carefully.

·
Registered
922 Posts
turbo motor top three ALWAYS:

1. Boost
2. AFR
3. EGT

why? because if you think about it if one of the readings are off, than you will pick it up on all of the gauges.. i.e overboost will equal leaned AFR and higher EGT's... too rich will net rich AFR's and cooler than normal EGT's...
you guys get the picture...

tranny and oil temp are good down the road, but not necessary with minimal mods like catback, intake, dp, ect...

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
[/b]
+1 :yesnod:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that's cause the OP is asking what ELSE to put on there, if you read his post more carefully.
[/b]
I am the original poster, perhaps I'm not the one that needs to read more carefully. :nana:

turbo motor top three ALWAYS:

1. Boost
2. AFR
3. EGT

why? because if you think about it if one of the readings are off, than you will pick it up on all of the gauges.. i.e overboost will equal leaned AFR and higher EGT's... too rich will net rich AFR's and cooler than normal EGT's...
you guys get the picture...

tranny and oil temp are good down the road, but not necessary with minimal mods like catback, intake, dp, ect...
[/b]
That makes sense ... now if only the AM Nexus A/F gauge wasn't so expensive ...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Guys but EGT is nice, but by time it reads too high, the damage is already done. The only ones that are useful are if you buy one of the competition thermocouples that Summitracing sells. These are made to respond much much quicker than the normal autometer one, but still, the damage is usually done before the gauge reads too high. Its good for normal driving and highway driving to see if everything is alright, but they are not quick enough when racing. AFR, is only good if your reading it from a wideband O2 sensor, otherwise its just a blinky light.

Top gauges for any turbo car (in my opinion of course)

1. Boost (always number 1, mechanical is better in general than electric, but either works)
2. Oil pressure/ Oil temp (though depending, an idiot light is ok but wont tell about lower than normal pressure in the upper rpms. oil temp for the turbo), also since our car doesnt have an oil pressure gauge. Same thing though, you can monitior it and see if anything changes from where it normally runs for your car.

Oil pressure is also important if you have an external oil cooler, it should be placed after the cooler so that you can make sure you are not losing too much pressure because of it

3. Whatever you want. Fuel pressure is nice but only really needed if doing anything to the fuel system.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
I have these gauges. I don't like them. They're noisy and the boost gauge doesn't seem to be accurate in reporting vaccum, though it could be another issue. Regardless, I don't think they justify their price. The whole data-logging, color-changing, remote-control thing is just a huge gimmick. (Data logging, while potentially useful, is better done via software, IMO)

What gauges to get depend on your goals. For tuning, you'll want boost, wideband a/f (calibrated), and EGT. If you're racing, get a lot of temp gauges.

·
Registered
856 Posts
people are so picky around here....
that is just my list, and i did switch it around a time or two....
maybe i shouldn't post stuff at 1am?

relax

·
Registered
112 Posts
no.. TRANNY TEMP! most important thing to monitor... besides all of those other things ;)
[/b]
Transmision temperature? In a manual? Maybe for a slushbox, I've never heard of a manual transmission running too hot.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I run the Autometer nexus gauges in a lotek pod (pics in garage). The gauges I have are boost, oil pressure, and oil temp. Since an ecu isn't out and the engine is stock except the CAI then there isn't much need for AFR. All it is going to tell me is that the car runs rich.

Also it would be hard for a narrowband gauge to read our stock wideband gauge. On the other side if you changed the wibeband gauge to lets say an AEM then the ecu would probably read it differently, and might not run correctly.

Personally I like having the gauges I have. I run a AEM wideband in my other car with a standalone and it's very nice to have. However, I don't really need an AFR gauge as the ecu will adjust things accordingly.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I run the Autometer nexus gauges in a lotek pod (pics in garage). The gauges I have are boost, oil pressure, and oil temp. Since an ecu isn't out and the engine is stock except the CAI then there isn't much need for AFR. All it is going to tell me is that the car runs rich.

Also it would be hard for a narrowband gauge to read our stock wideband gauge. On the other side if you changed the wibeband gauge to lets say an AEM then the ecu would probably read it differently, and might not run correctly.

Personally I like having the gauges I have. I run a AEM wideband in my other car with a standalone and it's very nice to have. However, I don't really need an AFR gauge as the ecu will adjust things accordingly.
[/b]
I like the gauges, but the third ones angle looks way off...

Anyways, if a gauge pod for the cluster is made this is going to be one of the only viable options...

·
Registered
778 Posts
LOL... I love the gauges. However, I think the actual pod is junk. Hopefully something in the future comes out. I'm just waiting to see.

·
Registered
922 Posts
man, you can buy whatever EGT gauge you want and then by the actually sensor separate... EGT gauges are always more than other mechanical gauges... just gotta suck it up... but if your not concerned with looks you could roll with an AM Ultralite, Comp, or even Cobalt for less than the Nexus probably.... then get whatever sensor you like.... someone suggested one from Summit....

·
Registered
778 Posts
Very true. The nexus gauges are expensive. I run the C2 series in my other car and they work just as good. However, I wanted to match my dash lights with the gauges I was installing as in black background with red lights/needle. That is the primary reason I bought the nexus gauges. The other car matches the C2 series. It's all about what you want. I believe the newer defi gauges are close in color also.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts