Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any leads on putting a leather boot on the automatic transmission shifter? I hate the aesthetic look of the metal going to the knob.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Get the shifter trim for a manual and modify it to make it do as you want. Other than that, no one has commercially ever done anything like that, there are no on the shelf parts for a direct swap. I don't see why it would be that hard of a mod to do though.

·
Registered
185 Posts
You could also get a shifter boot and wrap it around the outside of the shifter bezel, and then just clip the whole assembly into the opening. It may be a bit thick depending on your material, but a little sanding would sort this out

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions.

Anyone have any success doing this? Just wanted to know if anyone else has done this before.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: Went the route of sourcing a new panel itself...$40 on ebay. Inner panel just unclips from the auto panel, phillips screws only the boot base and boot on the manual panel. Easy swap over since my panel is in better shape.

Waiting on a new black boot and new shift knob with thread adapters to go from the 8x1.25 shifter in the atx to the new knob.

Will post pictures when this mini project is complete.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finished product.

These are what I bought:

PU LEATHER BLACK SHIFT BOOT GEAR GAITER Cover FOR Mazda 6 M6 2002 2003 2004-2007 | eBay

Black/Red Stitch PVC Leather Ball Shaped Shift Knob M8/M10/M12 Thread Shifter | eBay

Nice thing is with the boot, it comes with the plastic piece that mounts to the underside of the shift bezel panel, so you dont have to source a panel from a manual car. The Automatic panel just pops out and then you just mount the new one in with 2 screws.

A simple project for less than $20!

Attachments

·
Registered
941 Posts
That looks really slick! I was unsure because of the shifter height, but that really looks good.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That looks really slick! I was unsure because of the shifter height, but that really looks good.
Luckily the knob comes with the adapter sleeve that slides over all of the threads, then is fastened with 3 small hex screws to keep it in place. So this knob sits a bit lower than the oem automatic knob.

I'm really happy with how it came out. You also dont lose the gear position indicator because that's already on the instrument cluster as well.

Like I said, cant beat it for less than $20

·
Registered
100 Posts
Finished product.

These are what I bought:

PU LEATHER BLACK SHIFT BOOT GEAR GAITER Cover FOR Mazda 6 M6 2002 2003 2004-2007 | eBay

Black/Red Stitch PVC Leather Ball Shaped Shift Knob M8/M10/M12 Thread Shifter | eBay

Nice thing is with the boot, it comes with the plastic piece that mounts to the underside of the shift bezel panel, so you dont have to source a panel from a manual car. The Automatic panel just pops out and then you just mount the new one in with 2 screws.

A simple project for less than $20!

Totally doing this for my 05. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
941 Posts
My car is a stick, but I did this a few months back when my shift boot ripped and the leather knob was unwrapping. I love the green, lol.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts