Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to add the automatic day/night rearview mirror (without Homelink) to my 6i. I know it's an accessory, but I don't want to have the dealer do it (and get raped on the price) if at all possible. Is this a difficult install? I'd appreciate any help and input on the matter. :D

Thanks!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
i will be doing this soon also except with homelink. now i havent done it yet, but i imagine u need to tap into the map lights for power. are there only 2 wires?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I installed one for another member. it is only two wires, and the included directions show you which wire in the kick panel you tap into. one goes to ignition for power and one to ground. search for auto dimming mirror install, mzbuckeye did a how to earlier this year

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I installed one for another member. it is only two wires, and the included directions show you which wire in the kick panel you tap into. one goes to ignition for power and one to ground. search for auto dimming mirror install, mzbuckeye did a how to earlier this year
[/b]
Since you're in PA can you come and install mine as an early Christmas present? :p

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
HOW TO

It's really, really easy. Just be careful when removing the old one not to get carried away and crack the windshield. I'm not sure that it's a major concern, but I'd still play it safe :)

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HOW TO

It's really, really easy. Just be careful when removing the old one not to get carried away and crack the windshield. I'm not sure that it's a major concern, but I'd still play it safe :)
[/b]
You said in the install, you have to remove the A pillar trim. Does your car have side curtain airbags? Mine does, and that was a bit of a concern for me...

I asked the dealer how much to install just out of curiousity. I'm sure it'll be sky high though. The loaner wagon I have has the auto-dim mirror, and I am kinda liking it.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
3 hours drive for 5 minutes of work, better be alotta beer there.
[/b]
The dealer told me it would cost me 3 hours labor, and therefore $325. Shoot, for that I'll get ya a couple cases! And we have Yuengling too.. :p

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
The dealer told me it would cost me 3 hours labor, and therefore $325. Shoot, for that I'll get ya a couple cases! And we have Yuengling too.. :p
[/b]

3 hours? well maybe the installer has only 1 hand, but it can be done in less than 30 minutes by 60% of the worlds population

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
3 hours? well maybe the installer has only 1 hand, but it can be done in less than 30 minutes by 60% of the worlds population
[/b]
The only reason I wanted the dealer (or someone who was familiar with it) is because I've read some of the directions, and they say about removing the driver's A pillar. I have the side curtain airbags, and I don't wanna mess anything in the car up by doing this. I guess I'll just go without it for now. :(

·
Registered
679 Posts
Buy a mirror on ebay. THen install into your map lights. Should take no more than 20 mins.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had an audio/video shop do it after I bought the mirror myself (ouch...from a dealer)...I had to as I was time constrained.

They installed it for an hour of labor and cost me 80 bucks

·
Registered
123 Posts
It's not that hard. I installed one myself a few months ago. You can remove the a-pillar plastic without any worry of damaging the air bag. The air bag is actually in the headliner above the pillar, not inside the pillar itself.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm think about getting the auto dimming mirror.
I've had it in my past cars and miss not having it in the 6.
I don't have side air bags so i won't have any problems with piller.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm think about getting the auto dimming mirror.
I've had it in my past cars and miss not having it in the 6.
I don't have side air bags so i won't have any problems with piller.[/b]
+1
I hope to have one soon too :D

From what I read, some people didnt even need to remove the piller..
guess ill have to wait and see :hoho:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts