Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any members are having issues with the climate control system in the MS6. The system in my car doesn't function adequately. While in the demand for heat and in auto the system will direct airflow to only the floor vents. The only way I am able to get the dash vents to open while in auto is to manually raise the interior temperature with the vent setting at floor/dash mix and then put the system in auto with a low setpoint. This throws it into a cooling mode for the interior which directs airflow out the dash vents but closes the floor vents.
Needless to say the automatic heat doesn't maintain temperature in the car on cold days. It also takes the car a long time to heat up in the morning unless I take it out of automatic.
I have had other cars in the past with automatic climate control that I never had to adjust once I simply set the desired temperature. I hope this is a system malfunction and it is not operating as designed. If so this should not be marketed as an Automatic Climate Control.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I have had other cars in the past with automatic climate control that I never had to adjust once I simply set the desired temperature. I hope this is a system malfunction and it is not operating as designed. If so this should not be marketed as an Automatic Climate Control.
[/b]
i don't know about the rest of you, but i'm on my 3rd mazda 6 with automatic climate controls, and they're the only cars i've owned with auto HVAC. my current MS6-GT seems to work okay. i have noticed that the fan won't kick on at a high rate until the heater is adequetely warm. the mornings here are mild now, around 35*F, when i start my car with auto it goes straight to the floor, but i hit defrost manually. after running the car for about 5 minutes, i hit AUTO, and the HVAC shifts to defrost/floor automatically and maintains the approx temp. i usually set it to 72*F in the morning. i have noticed that regardless of outside temperature the AC defaults to ON, but unless it's humid i cut it off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i don't know about the rest of you, but i'm on my 3rd mazda 6 with automatic climate controls, and they're the only cars i've owned with auto HVAC. my current MS6-GT seems to work okay. i have noticed that the fan won't kick on at a high rate until the heater is adequetely warm. the mornings here are mild now, around 35*F, when i start my car with auto it goes straight to the floor, but i hit defrost manually. after running the car for about 5 minutes, i hit AUTO, and the HVAC shifts to defrost/floor automatically and maintains the approx temp. i usually set it to 72*F in the morning. i have noticed that regardless of outside temperature the AC defaults to ON, but unless it's humid i cut it off.
[/b]
When you turn the AC off does the Climate Control Auto indicator lamp stay on? Mine goes off. According to the owner's manual you should be able to turn the AC off and leave the system in auto.

·
Registered
863 Posts
it blows heat through the floor cause heat rises. if you leave it in this setting, it will warm the car more completely as opposed to heating the top of the car and leaving the bottom of the car cooler. alot of people including me dont like heat blasting them in the face. Also, like he said, the fan speed will increase only once the engine has heated enough to warm the air.

Also note that if you change the position useing the mode button, even tho it no longer says auto, the system is still in sort of a simi automatic mode. All functions will work the same except you have now told it where you want the air to blow, so it wont argue that with you. it will still automatically control fan speed and air temp.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it blows heat through the floor cause heat rises. if you leave it in this setting, it will warm the car more completely as opposed to heating the top of the car and leaving the bottom of the car cooler. alot of people including me dont like heat blasting them in the face. Also, like he said, the fan speed will increase only once the engine has heated enough to warm the air.

Also note that if you change the position useing the mode button, even tho it no longer says auto, the system is still in sort of a simi automatic mode. All functions will work the same except you have now told it where you want the air to blow, so it wont argue that with you. it will still automatically control fan speed and air temp.
[/b]
Heat rises fast enough while driving in moderate temps. If the temp is much below 20 degrees the system can't keep up with the temperature exchange. The owner's manual does state that the fan won't ramp up to a higher speed before the engine reaches a certain temperature which is understood. The problem is trying to heat the entire car with only the floor vents. That is like trying to heat your entire house from one room. The vents are directional for the purpose of directing airflow away from your face.
Once the mode button is used on my car the system is no longer controlled automatically. It maintains a consistent fan and temperature setting just like a conventional non-auto system.

·
Registered
863 Posts
then something isnt right with your system. Mine is still automatic unless i adjust the fan speed manually as well as the air direction manually because i have then told it how hard i want it to blow, wiat temp air i want it to blow, and where i want it to blow from.

·
Registered
829 Posts
my other car (Maxima) had heat only at the bottom vents too (I would say above 76 degrees). And I am pretty sure (?) that mine is still automatic besides where it's blowing.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I'm in agreement with your observations about how "smart" the auto climate control system is. It's actually not that smart at all. My previous car was an Acura TSX, which had dual-zone auto climate. It was pretty much a set-and-forget system. Not so with the Mazda implementation.

After owning the car for about 4 weeks, I've pretty much learned not to use the Auto function, since it always activates the AC (even when it's 40°F outside). Furthermore, the temperature setting doesn't really equate to the actual cabin temp. For instance, while it's cold (low 40s), to make the cabin "comfortable" in a light coat or sweater, I set the temp to 84°. However, that temperature would be ridiculously warm if you were inside a retail shop or office environment. If you set it to 74°F (w/ ambient in low 40s), the AC will blow COLD air out. Grrr.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I agree if a variable is changed after "auto" is selected, a semi-auto mode is assumed (this is in the owners manual). But if you turn off AC button while in face and feet arrow mode, ac will stay off, unless a few minutes later you select feet and windshied, defrost, or just feet (single down arrow) mode. The ac will then cycle on (if not too cold out) and the ac light will not glow again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm in agreement with your observations about how "smart" the auto climate control system is. It's actually not that smart at all. My previous car was an Acura TSX, which had dual-zone auto climate. It was pretty much a set-and-forget system. Not so with the Mazda implementation.

After owning the car for about 4 weeks, I've pretty much learned not to use the Auto function, since it always activates the AC (even when it's 40°F outside). Furthermore, the temperature setting doesn't really equate to the actual cabin temp. For instance, while it's cold (low 40s), to make the cabin "comfortable" in a light coat or sweater, I set the temp to 84°. However, that temperature would be ridiculously warm if you were inside a retail shop or office environment. If you set it to 74°F (w/ ambient in low 40s), the AC will blow COLD air out. Grrr.
[/b]
My previous car was a 95 Saab 900se with ACC which was much like the Acura you mention. Much more capable system than the Mazda is proving to be. Pretty sad it is outclassed by 11 year old technology. Unfortunately it was one of the criteria when I was shopping for new wheels. I guess you shouldn't believe everything that is advertised!!

·
Administrator
8,395 Posts
Once the mode button is used on my car the system is no longer controlled automatically. It maintains a consistent fan and temperature setting just like a conventional non-auto system.
[/b]
Then the dealer needs to look at it. When the "auto" setting is selected, and then, say, you switched the setting to the floor, the temp and fan speed SHOULD still be controlled by the ACC, but not the direction.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Then the dealer needs to look at it. When the "auto" setting is selected, and then, say, you switched the setting to the floor, the temp and fan speed SHOULD still be controlled by the ACC, but not the direction.
[/b]
It is at the dealer right now going through a laundry list of issues. We will see what they come back with pertaining to this. I was just curious to see how the systems work for some other owners. According to the owner's manual the ACC is to control fan speed, air temperature, and alternate vent selection to maintain the temp. It also states that the AC can be turned off and the system should remain in Auto, which it doesn't. It doesn't maintain temperature adequately and the setpoint is off by a good 5 degrees from the actual temp it is maintaining. If the system is truly an automatic climate control you shouldn't have to change the source of the airflow manually. That is why it is called Automatic.
Other vehicles that I have been in with ACC remained in Auto mode providing the only change you made was to the temp setpoint. Once you selected anything other than that, such as fan speed or airflow direction, it would put the system in manual. These other vehicles functioned well in the auto mode.
I'll see what the dealer comes back with. They may surprise me and tell me they actually found something.

·
Registered
863 Posts
know just because the auto light goes off doesnt mean it isnt functioning in auto mode. When i turn off my ac the auto lights go off, but it is still very much automatic. Basically, it is in what other systems refer to as Eco Auto, witch we have a light for that is for some reason not used.

Attachments

·
Registered
429 Posts
It stays in auto once you shut off the AC, but like others say, the light does turn off. I'm sorry you don't like that the hot air is set to come from the bottom vents, but from an engineering stand point, that makes perfect sense. You can simply push the button to change it to high and low vents... I don't see the challenge in that. It will still adjust fan speed and air temp according to your settings after you turn off the AC and shift it to the upper vents. I'm sure my suggestion will be less than satisfactory to you, or maybe your ACC really is broken.

·
Registered
863 Posts
here is a post i made a long long long time ago. this is the best i understand the ACC system to work.

"The ACC is really pretty smart. It choses air direction that will cool or warm the car in the least amount of time.

If you want cold, it blows air from the dash vents because cold air sinks. It blows it high, to let it fall. If it blew the cold air all in the floor, the floor would stay the coldest, while the top of the car would stay warmer. It gradually increases fan speed at startup to slowly blow out all the hot air that is in the vents before blowing the cooled air ful blast.

In the winter, the opposit happens. It blows the air from the floor to let it rise into the car. If it blew heat from the top of the car, the top would get really hot, while the bottom would stay cooler longer. It also waits for the air to warm up before it blows hard, this way it wont blast you with cold air.

The system operates as follows:

There are alot of different modes you could say the system works in, which i have listed below. the basic idea behind the AUTO funtions of the system is this:

Say it is 90 degrees outside. You want the air in the car to be cold. You could set the system to 76*. The system sees that you want the air to be colder, so it blows fully cooled air at the highest fan speed from the dash vents until the cabin starts to cool down, at which time it gradually slows the fan speed. When the temperature is finally reached (which it rarely is) the fan speed will be at the lowest or second lowest speed, and the system then begins to alternate between warm and cold air to hold the temperature at the set 76* and not to let it get warmer or colder than that. It will even alternate between dash vents and floor vents to keep the balance of air temp. The system operates similar in the winter.

Full-Auto:
Automatically adjusts fan speed
Automatically adjusts air direction
Automatiaclly adjusts air temperature blown

I understand this mode to be the same weather or not the AC is selected to be on or off. The system still behaves totally automatically, however the car may not cool down as fast inside if it is hot outside with the AC off, just like with any AC system. (if you press the AC button to turn off the AC compressor, the display will not light up the "AUTO" light because Mazda got stupid and didnt use the "ECO" light given to us on the display. This would have allowed the display to read "AC AUTO" or "ECO AUTO"depending on if the compressor was on or off.)

Simi-Auto 1:
Automatically adjusts fan speed
DOES NOT automatially adjust air direction
Automatically adjusts air temperature blown

Enter this mode by starting in full auto mode, and telling the system what you want the air direction to be. In this mode, the display will not light up the auto light because it isnt fully automatic. The system will remain in this mode untill you tell it to return to Full-Auto mode by pressing the auto button (which will reactivate the AC compressor if it was turned off), or by going into Full-Manual mode by adjusting the fan speed useing the fan speed knob.

Simi-Auto 2:
DOES NOT automatically adjust fan speed
Automatically adjusts air direction
Automatically adjusts air temperature blown

Enter this mode from Full-Auto mode by adjusting fan speed by useing the fan speed knob.

Full-Manual:
DOES NOT automatically adjust fan speed
DOES NOT automatiaclly adjust air direction
DOES NOT automatically adjust air temerature blown

Enter this mode from Full-Auto by adjusting the fan speed useing the fan speed knob (far left knob) and telling the system where you what you want the air direction to be. If you want totally cold air, adjust temp to 60. If you want totally hot air, adjust the temp to 90. If you want air of any temp in between, adjust it to that number. The system will do nothing to see to it that the car reaches this temperature. all the in-car thermostats are disabled. For example, if you select 60, the car will constantly blow air that is apprx. 60*. If you select 72, the system will constantly blow air that is approximately 72*.
"

·
Rally Racer
1,723 Posts
2003-2005 Automatic Climate Comtrol "maunal settings"

This is a great explanation about how the Automatic A/C system works. I have been trying to figure out if the compressor on my 2004 Mazda 6 s with the Automatic A/C is working properly. Below is how my system is operating when in manual selection.

• Defrost only: Fan On, A/C compressor On (A/C button non-functional)
  • Def/floor: Fan On, A/C compressor On (A/C button non-functional)
  • Floor: Fan On, A/C compressor On (A/C button non-functional)
  • Face: Fan On, A/C compressor Off (A/C button functional)
  • Face/Floor: Fan On, A/C compressor Off (A/C button functional)
Most cars I have had, will engage the A/C compressor (turn it on) when any forward defrost setting is enabled, to speed moisture removal. This is the first vehicle that has also mandated the A/C compressor activate when heating through the floor vents only.

Does any one else with this equipment also experience these setting parameters?

What this means is, in addition to losing 1-2 mpg for "winter" gas formulation I also loose an additional 1 mpg for warming the cabin as well. What I need is a fuse pull...

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
This is a great explanation about how the Automatic A/C system works. I have been trying to figure out if the compressor on my 2004 Mazda 6 s with the Automatic A/C is working properly. Below is how my system is operating when in manual selection.

Defrost only: Fan On, A/C compressor On (A/C button non-functional)Def/floor: Fan On, A/C compressor On (A/C button non-functional)Floor: Fan On, A/C compressor On (A/C button non-functional)Face: Fan On, A/C compressor Off (A/C button functional)Face/Floor: Fan On, A/C compressor Off (A/C button functional)
Most cars I have had, will engage the A/C compressor (turn it on) when any forward defrost setting is enabled, to speed moisture removal. This is the first vehicle that has also mandated the A/C compressor activate when heating through the floor vents only.

Does any one else with this equipment also experience these setting parameters?

What this means is, in addition to losing 1-2 mpg for "winter" gas formulation I also loose an additional 1 mpg for warming the cabin as well. What I need is a fuse pull...
My old 2005 6 worked the same way. I believe the system was Ford based, because I heard stories of Fords doing the same things. My solution for winter heat without the compressor running was to close the dash vents tight and run the system face/floor. You need to run the temp higher because the system will mix cool air to the upper vents after the cabin temp gets up to where you want it, which then mixes with the floor air.

It kept the windows clear when it was damp when I used all floor, but I just didn't want the compressor turning all the time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
@DrFeelGood I run mine as follows... hit auto button and then immediately press the A.C. button to turn off the compressor. I haven't checked it visually, but in my experience, this kills the compressor for all functions until I hit auto or select the combined floor defrost or full defrost. Again, I haven't double checked. I might need to do this now that you've brought it up.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
The system overrides your selection. When it's warm enough, sit a while and listen to it cycle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
11 Participants
waughoo
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing