Mazda 6 Forums banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I am sorry. Your posts were too long. Can you please provide cliff notes?

In any event, I am a simple enthusiast and Your posts are too long to care about. You post all of this yet you probably drive the 6 as your family car just like most of us. What is the point? Please continue advertising your pitch. I am done arguing on the Internet with a zealous enthusiast obsessed with stiffness.
I hope you don't vote:)

351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
no-no-no!!! You've seen this movie a thousand times! Same plot, same ending! They always split exactly when they should stay together.... :D:D:D

351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Just remembered some images that came up in a thread about strut bars before. Figured it could help others understand.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/mazda-6...nt/283625-tanabe-r-d-session.html#post3760241

Edit: also what was the price for each part? And who did you go through to buy them?
Proper scientific visualization. One just must remember that the stiffness of the strut brace is very important. It's MUST be of a as straight as possible design, and it MUST be a single welded piece.

351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Edit: also what was the price for each part? And who did you go through to buy them?
I do not know the price for each part, as I bought them all together via AutoEXE's only official US distributor - Mazmart. They easily come up via Bing or Google.

Price for a brace set (front + rear) and a floor bar shipped is $775. I'm in LA. I also was able to convince Mazmart so the goods do not ship to them first (they are in Atlanta), but directly from Japan to me

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey I had a quick question. So of the 5 items available:

-Strut Tower Bar
-Floor Cross Bar
-Lower Arm Bar
-Tower Brace Set
-Member Brace Set

You bought the Floor Cross Bar and Tower Brace Set, correct? Would you recommend the other parts as well? I am actually looking to improve the steering feedback with the Lower Arm Bar- I bought something similar for my Audi and it made a world of difference. Honestly, all this stuff together is just around $2k shipped. Might as well get a set of coilovers for that price + install + alignment. Not sure which one is the better bang for buck. Obviously coilovers will more dramatically change driving dynamics, but these parts should also help improve steering/handling/reduce NVH. Tough call.... Either way, I will be doing swaybars+tires when I get a chance to start off with, which might diminish the perceived improvement of the coilovers but could compliment the chassis reinforcements perfectly. I am hesitant to change the stock shocks/springs because I really like the balance- it handles great but is also very comfortable.

Any input would be appreciated!

351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 · (Edited)
Hey I had a quick question. So of the 5 items available:

-Strut Tower Bar
-Floor Cross Bar
-Lower Arm Bar
-Tower Brace Set
-Member Brace Set

You bought the Floor Cross Bar and Tower Brace Set, correct? Would you recommend the other parts as well? I am actually looking to improve the steering feedback with the Lower Arm Bar- I bought something similar for my Audi and it made a world of difference. Honestly, all this stuff together is just around $2k shipped. Might as well get a set of coilovers for that price + install + alignment. Not sure which one is the better bang for buck. Obviously coilovers will more dramatically change driving dynamics, but these parts should also help improve steering/handling/reduce NVH. Tough call.... Either way, I will be doing swaybars+tires when I get a chance to start off with, which might diminish the perceived improvement of the coilovers but could compliment the chassis reinforcements perfectly. I am hesitant to change the stock shocks/springs because I really like the balance- it handles great but is also very comfortable.

Any input would be appreciated!
I cant recommend any other parts, other than what I have currently which is floor cross bar and a tower brace set.

However, Monday I should receive front and rear lower arm bars, and I'll have them installed soon after. So I'll be able to report to you my experience.

As to the question of Coil-overs vs Structure reinforcements, here's my take:

If you are after handling improvements, then of course coil-overs will be better bang for the buck.

But, BUT, I think, that a complete set of structural reinforcements (strut brace set, member brace set, floor bar and a rear arm bar - front arm bar is replaced when member brace set is installed) is a MUCH BETTER bang for the buck OVERALL:

Handling seems to be tighter, and NVH seem to be better, less rattles, more solid feel acing to a Mercedes.

I absolutely notice that the car now turns much more as a "one-piece", as opposed to many pieces nicely screwed together. I also no longer have a rattle in the middle of the dashboard when the car is "upset" mid-corner by a crease or a bump; overall uneven road seems to send less vibrations through the structure.

As to the steering, I cant say that the strut tower brace made it feel different when going straight or making mild steering inputs, but I do feel the difference in the steering feel at higher speed and with higher G loads. I don't mean G loads with tires sliding, I mean G loads such as taking a 40mph ramp at 50-55mph - the steering feels tighter. I hope lower arm bar will aid steering feel even more. I'll know by the end of next week.

==========
With coil-overs you'll forgo NVH benefits of a stiffer structure.

P.S. $2k is about right, I think even less. Lower Arm bars cost me $265 shipped, the brace set and floor bar was $775. Underbody brace kit should cost exactly the same as brace set, which is less then $700

61 - 70 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.