Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the Autoexe springs - they'll be here in a few weeks - will match them up with the '05 RX-8 wheels and Toyo T1-R tires.

I figure while I have it all torn apart, it would be a good time to replace the shocks.

My question is what shocks would be a good fit? Koni Yellows, Tokico, others??

Pros/cons on advice?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Koni yellows are great... but they require butchering the stock shock...

If you want to go a milder route, check out the Bilsteins...

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Has anybody here gone the Koni route? That sounds like a pita to gut the stock shocks.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Koni yellows are great... but they require butchering the stock shock...
[/b]
What specifically must be done to the stock shocks? The Konis aren't just a bolt-in replacement for the stock shocks?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I don't think those are designed for the Speed6...

Does anyone know if Corksport has any actual way to talk to AutoEXE? Does someone their speak japanese?? I'm interested to know what else they have planned, I'd be willing to bet a newer set of dampers might be on the way...

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Has anybody here gone the Koni route? That sounds like a pita to gut the stock shocks.
[/b]
They do require you to gut it, but it's not as hard as everyone think it is. I just did mind. To drill the hole, you just need a regular cordless drill and drill bit to get through it. It's thick but very easy to do. To cut the pipe to remove the strut, I got a pipe cutter. Took me less than a minute to get the gut out. Easy. All in all, it took time but almost no strength or work to do that. Compressing the spring took longer and was a more pain in the ass than cutting the shock housing.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Koni are better design for the Speed6. You can take it to a local performace shop and have them do the cutting/labor which might be $30-$50 for the pair. This will save to time and headache.
I did replace my dampers with Tokico. Direct stock replacement only.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Koni are better design for the Speed6. You can take it to a local performace shop and have them do the cutting/labor which might be $30-$50 for the pair. This will save to time and headache.
I did replace my dampers with Tokico. Direct stock replacement only.
[/b]
Do the Tokico dampers feel a little stiffer than stock??

If you don't mind me asking, why did you replace your OE shocks?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Do the Tokico dampers feel a little stiffer than stock??

If you don't mind me asking, why did you replace your OE shocks?
[/b]
Feels about the same,
My thought behind it was to save stock damper/springs in case I sell my car later and replaced it with aftermarket as a set. If I sell, I'll just swap them. The Tokico was available now.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Any other alternatives besides the Koni yellow shocks that would work well with the AutoEXE springs?

I'd love to find a good product that doesn't require the stock shocks to be cut up, as this would make the car easier to return to stock form.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts