Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya if you think understeer is the greatest thing since forced induction.
[/b]

Ohh I understand that the car would understeer.... but imagine how flat the car would be through the corners and how god awful the ride would be...

·
Registered
815 Posts
Ohh I understand that the car would understeer.... but imagine how flat the car would be through the corners and how god awful the ride would be...
[/b]
Guess I'll be looking at the Koni adjustables to go w/ the springs....I knew it was going to be expensive, but holy.....

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well part of the car would be flat, the other part would be confused.
http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option...id=61&Itemid=50

Pasting the suspension link twice. Weeeeeeeeez. Watch the 5th gear octane video yet wiggum? It's pretty good!
[/b]
Yeah I have seen it before... I actually watched it a while ago when I wasn't interested in the STi more about the other cars making no more HP on high octane...

·
Registered
477 Posts
Well now your car falls under the Sti example :). Turbocharged for the !$&)!(& win!
[/b]
Those rates make no sense in the front. What is that, 350% stiffer than stock? I've never seen a street application that was that much stiffer than stock.

·
Registered
214 Posts
is there ever going to be a good way to lower the speed 6???????????? it seems like everything is not good??

·
Registered
364 Posts
what about a ground control/koni setup?

has anyone reached out to ground control yet?

they use eibach springs w/ a variety of spring rates...might be a better solution for us if in fact they entertain making a package for our cars.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Carefull with the Teins. The shocks on the Tein Basic dampers are crappier than the stock MS6 shocks. Don't bother unless they come out with Tein Flex or RA for our car.

Also, I contacted GC, they had a part # for the M6 as part of their 06 lineup but never produced it. Probably because of the rear.

HKS is the only decent coilover option right now.

I'm thinking of trying out the Megan springs just out of curiousity. I know they're too low, but they are the only springs stiffer than stock. I think i have a way to get some travel back by custom milling some billet spacers.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
I'm going to copy this from Corksport's thread on the subject:
The spring rate was a result of the high mounting point of the double wishbone suspension and the characteristics are different over the strut type suspension. I will say that the roads in the Tokyo area are pretty nice compared to what we have locally and that probably has something to do with it as well.

As for the car understeer I am pretty sure they set the car up neutral or with a bit of oversteer. All of the guys there are into running track events and racing in one form or another. If they are happy with the way the car handles that is a good sign. You could always adjust the dampening a bit and get the back end to come out a bit quicker ( my type of driving style )

Derrick
[/b]
Well, I don't believe it. In all the suspension theory I've read and the suspension experience I have, nothing would lead me to believe those spring rates would work.

The motion ratio of the suspension up front is higher, so the wheel rate up front is actually over three and a half times higher than that in the rear. You say these rates work because of the double wishbone front suspension, but that simply doesn't account for it. The roll couple (the leverage of a weight shift to cause body roll) up front is lower in the front, but by not three times lower. Ride quality ought to suffer on multiple levels- not just from having such firm front springs, but from having a rear that will oscillate at a totally different frequency. This spring rates, on paper, pretty much seem to fail at every level.

Now, putting firm springs up front may reduce body roll and increase total grip of the car (similar to a large front sway), so perhaps that's what they liked. However, that doesn't make it a step forward if the driving charactoristics are totally fubar'd. Body roll should be reduced by increasing both front AND rear spring rates, and for a street car is probably best accomplished by using larger sway bars. I know what normal coilover spring rates do with and without sway bars, and thus I've got a good idea of what these things would do. Understeer wouldn't even begin to describe my expectations. This definately gets a big, "What the hell were they thinking?"

Using extremely firm rear shocks to get the car to rotate is an absolutely horrible idea for a street car. Not only would the ride quality feel almost as if there were no suspension in the rear, the car would nearly spin any time you crested a hill while turning. I've been down this road, and it's the wrong road.

I would really have to question their driving if they picked these rates as a result of track tuning.[/b][/quote]
In summary, the AutoEXE coilover specs do look ridiculous, and not in a good way. Nonetheless, I'm sure someone will try them anyway and post about how fantastic they are, because every product (lousy or not) has its advocates.

In regards to the Tein coilovers, dj petey is correct. Don't waste your time. Stick with stock or spend the money to go to KW or HKS. KW may work better on the Mazdaspeed since they were made for the heavier V6 too, but HKS's coilovers are still fantastic. Your can probably run rear Koni shocks, but I don't know if the front inserts were still fit.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'm surprized to hear neg reviews of the Basics. I know so many people that run them and love them. Is it something particular to the 6? The 350Z guys have had fantastic results with them. They handle very well and guy put a ton of miles on them with no problems.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Stick with stock or spend the money to go to KW or HKS. KW may work better on the Mazdaspeed since they were made for the heavier V6 too, but HKS's coilovers are still fantastic. Your can probably run rear Koni shocks, but I don't know if the front inserts were still fit.
[/b]

What are KW?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
10 Participants
crossbow
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing