Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.MazdaRevItUp.com/

I just bought the book Secrets of Solo Racing today, which is supposed to be the definitive autocrossing handbook. I've never been, but think it sounds fun. Anybody ever been? Anybody going to take their '6?

I'll probably do the above link to start out... in a Mazda-supplied car :) I think it's neat that Mazda is promoting the '6 by offering to autocross (sort of) in it. Who said this isn't a niche car?!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Autocrossing in the Mazda6'

The secrect to Autocross is to leave your ego behind and just drive. In drag racing it's 90% car, in AutoX it's 90% driver.

If you like driving aggressivly you will love Autox. It's one place you can push your car to it's limits (and beyond) without endangering yourself or others.

I haven't been able to autocross my Miata as much as I've wanted to this past year but I was able to get FTD at the D.C. Miata National.

I've been waiting for the weather to clear to try out the 6. The two most recent AutoXs in the area where more "Ice Racing" then AutoX and standing out, shaging cones with a -10 wind chill factor is not my idea of fun.

Check with your local SCCA club for events. Most clubs have loaner helmets for newbees. Many clubs will have an instructor that can ride with you to get you started on the right foot.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

This thread was targeted straight towards you, LBJay. You're the veteran... thanks for the responses. I also printed out The Physics of Racing, more so because I think physics is interesting (when I understand it) than for racing advice.

If you're in DC for an autocross, and you don't mind going with a rookie, I'd probably be up for it. I like to push my car, and I'd say I drive it to 80% on a daily basis. I'm really not sure where 100% is yet- I know I've made a few mistakes, but I also know the car usually begs for more the other 99% of the time. I'll need to take it autocrossing- pushing the car whenever anyone else is on the road makes me nervous, like I'm endangering other drivers (even when I know I'm being conservative, I still feel wrong as if I'm pissing off everyone else on the road). I like to be safe, but still have fun. The city is not for me... I can't wait to get out.

Can running the car at 110% for such a short duration do any permanent damage to the car? I mean, is lowered reliability probable? I wouldn't think lingering around the redline for 60 seconds would be too terrible, and tires are dispendable. This is my daily driver though, and it's got to last.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Originally posted by stretchsje
Can running the car at 110% for such a short duration do any permanent damage to the car?  I mean, is lowered reliability probable?  I wouldn't think lingering around the redline for 60 seconds would be too terrible, and tires are dispendable.  This is my daily driver though, and it's got to last.[/b]
In stock class on a local basis 99% of the cars are "Daily drivers" or the "Family Car". Most courses are in the 40-60 sec range with speeds that will probably not get beyond 2nd gear for stock classes. Most times you'll never shift (up or down) once you are in 2nd gear.

You will not be at redline for 60 secs. Autocrossing is acceleration, braking, turning, acceleration. If you hit the rev limiter it will only be for a second or so at the end of a straight section. (Hitting the rev limiter does not hurt the engine, that's why they have it) There are few true straights in Autocross, they will put in a salom to slow you down. I would say that a day at the drags puts far more stress on a car then autocrossing.

·
Registered
240 Posts

Originally posted by LBJay

The secrect to Autocross is to leave your ego behind and just drive. In drag racing it's 90% car, in AutoX it's 90% driver.  [/b]
That is absolutely true. The only two motor sports that I like are autoX and moto racing on a track. Engine does not make the difference, skill does. I love it (despite I did not have the chance yet to practice either sport)

·
Registered
653 Posts

Originally posted by stretchsje

If you're in DC for an autocross, and you don't mind going with a rookie, I'd probably be up for it.  I=.[/b]
Hey stretchsje,

Who are you? I autoX all the time in the DC Region... just trying to put a forum name to a face!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I've never autocrossed before- I just want to. I'm 22y old, 6'5" tall, and skinny with a big nose. Anyway, doubt you would've seen me before, but you probably will someday.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Reading Topic: Autocrossing in the Mazda6

thanks! It was a lot of hard work! This season's competition looks tough! Maybe it is time to switch class and run a Mazda 6! :p

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

:D

Dude! That would make you a bona fide hero on this board. Go for it!!

·
Registered
653 Posts

I gotta find one first :) Anyone want to give me a deal on a:
Steel Gray 6s w/ MT, Premium, Sport Package, Homelink, Sport Grille, BOSE and Comfort package ??

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Autocrossing in the Mazda6

Mazda6 s 5sp MT

OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT
Sport Grille $175
Compass/AutoDim Mirror with Homelink $250
Premium Package $0
Anti-Lock Brakes/Traction Control $0
Sport Package $860
Power Moonroof $700
Leather-Trimmed Upholstery $860
Comfort Package $220
Side Air Bags/Side Air Curtains $450
BOSE® Audio Package $635

Total Vehicle and Options = $25,250
Delivery, Processing, and Handling Fee = $520

Total Vehicle Price = $25,770

If you could find one like that on a lot right now, don't expect a deal. Most dealers are lucky if they have 1 6s MT. If you would order one now you might get it some time in April.

See; http://www.goonish.com/atenza/read.php?TID=1909

·
Registered
653 Posts

That is why I was asking about finding a deal in my post :)

I have never paid MSRP for a vehicle. Not even the Corvette when its popularity and the economy was at its peak.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

We should probably have a dealer section on this board. Dealers could then post any m6 inventory and deals they want to offer. I've seen it on other boards.

...off I go to the suggestions section to request it -->

·
Registered
110 Posts

Hey guys, just trolling the board since my friend (CJKCyclone on the boards) just got a mazda 6. I will be autoxing my WRX soon, maybe I can talk Chris into joining me.

I went to my first autox event this weekend at Miller Park in Milwaukee, wow it looks like a lot of fun. I didn't see any 6's out there so I don't really know what class you guys will be in, I'm sure someone here knows. I am guessing GS, or perhaps even DS which puts you up against some pretty steep competition, see this link http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Lists/2003/stockc.html to get an idea. Also those of you with dealer option aero kits, or SS shifters may be ineligible for a stock class, since these are sometimes put on at the port or dealer rather than at the factory. Don't know enough about what options you guys can have to know for sure.

One thing to keep in mind is Stock is not always the best way to go if you're getting started, they allow race tires in stock classes as well as some upgraded suspension bits. But if you just want to test out your car and see if you like it enough to mod your car this is a great place to start.

STS, which is a street tire class, is one of the more popular classes and you don't have to worry about some guy out there in his Hoosier tires with his stock Type R. It also allows for some inexpensive boltons for performance and handling, but nothing that will break the bank.

STX is another option which is the class I will be running in and seems to be ideally suited to the WRX since it allows getting rid of the pesky kitties.

This link is a bit scoobycentric but it will give you an idea of the allowed mods for each class http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread...threadid=174189

Lastly it seems that the FWD street tire class and the RWD street tire class is the most popular and seems to weight the times depending on the car and level of mods, basicly you could run a 5 second faster lap that anyone in the field and not get first place. Still trying to figure out if this is considered a novice class or what, I also believe this is more for local chapters of SoloII, rather than national and regional events.

Here's a link (need adobe reader) to the results of the autox I was at for those of you that might be curious as to what cars are doing what, keep in mind it is VERY driver dependant. Check out the EVO8 times to get an idea of how much so. Damn those S2000s are impessive on a track :)

http://www.waiautox.org/2003/03wai2class.pdf

Pete

1 - 20 of 20 Posts