Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone autocross their cars? I'm not talking about kill a cone but doing track days. All I see are people posting about making their cars faster in a 1/4. I believe that this is what this car was intended for. Why else would you want AWD, traction control, 12" vented rotors front and back, racing pedels (for heal/toe braking, low profile tires and stiffer suspension.

·
Registered
429 Posts
So you are talking about track days/club racing? I autocross, but I guess that qualifies as "kill a cone".

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you go out on an actual road course or is it just parking lot racing?

·
Registered
429 Posts
I've only done the grand parking lot. If I had more money laying around for tires and brakes, I'd go to the road courses. There are a few people doing road courses on here though, that's just an expensive hobby many of us can't afford I would guess.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
A number of us in Cleveland do both, we are working on a track event next Spring, if you are interested I will keep you updated. I know the Toronto guys are looking to holding a track event @ Mosport this Spring as well.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Yeah, I'm going to Texas World Speedway (2.9 miles, 15 corners) this weekend. Will be my first time. Unfortunately my buddy just sent me this pic of what can happen when you make a mistake at TWS:

http://hinzm3.com/adham/index.htm

He flipped 2 times after he missed a corner, went off track and his tires dug into the ground :(

I hope to avoid that happening to me! I'll post my thoughts on a day at the track next week.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I would advise anyone who is new to this, please get some personal instruction and clasroom instruction, it is well worth it. Your insurance does not cover it and getting coverage for a track day, is not cheap. At our events, we have a couple of instructors come out and do drive and ride alongs with our members, in addition to classroom instruction.

To date no serious mishaps, like in the post above.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Depending on your insurance company it may be covered. I know that State Farm covers track days for motorcycles. They consider it rider improvment.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Depending on your insurance company it may be covered. I know that State Farm covers track days for motorcycles. They consider it rider improvment.
[/b]
As far as cars, not even State Farm will cover this type of event.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Why else would you want AWD, traction control, 12" vented rotors front and back, racing pedels (for heal/toe braking, low profile tires and stiffer suspension. [/b]
I like these things so that my car performs well on the street...where most of us do 99%+ of our driving. :huh:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yeah, I'm going to Texas World Speedway (2.9 miles, 15 corners) this weekend. Will be my first time. Unfortunately my buddy just sent me this pic of what can happen when you make a mistake at TWS:

http://hinzm3.com/adham/index.htm

He flipped 2 times after he missed a corner, went off track and his tires dug into the ground :(

I hope to avoid that happening to me! I'll post my thoughts on a day at the track next week.
[/b]
That'll buff out.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Just got the car, but am looking forward VERY MUCH to the autocross season ahead!! I know the cars weighs a lot, but hopefully the power will overcome that handicap.. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Just an fyi... autocross = parking lot with cones only, track day = on a track. I've done both in the 6, though its going into retirement for now.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Autobahn country club is a really nice facility. I've done track days with my motorcycle there before. I like north course for the bike, but I think south course/full course would be more fun in the car.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yup, a little Mequires, some elbow grease and he's set to race again :drive:
[/b]

Autobahn is a great track, and from what I've seen Texas Motorspeedway can be down right nasty.

If you are attending a "drivers education" event such as ones that are held by the major car clubs....Porsche, Corvette, etc. or an organization such as Drivers Edge, you ARE covered by insurance companies for the most part. The big difference is in that you do not have competitive passing and timing at these events (or at least shouldn't..grin).

They are great events and will be required to have an instructor until you achieve a sufficient level of skill to have them bump you up in "Grade" to solo driving. Have fun...you'll learn alot.

A couple things.....be willing to "unlearn" more than you learn.....also, leave your ego at home.

Wayne

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Autobahn country club is a really nice facility. I've done track days with my motorcycle there before. I like north course for the bike, but I think south course/full course would be more fun in the car.
[/b]
Were those NESBA events?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 29 Posts