Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the SCCA Solo event at Texas Motor Speedway was a bit soggy, but we had fun anyway. The infield track gets VERY slick when wet. Lots of people were spinning out and running off track. I've got a clip of my spin that I'll try to get up here soon. Here's a short clip of my best run:

High quality version (slower):
Autcross @ TMS - High

Lower quality version (faster):
Autocross @ TMS - Low

Here are a couple of fun clips of my dad and I losing control in the rain...

My dad loses it

I lose it

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks dude. Unfortunately a guy in an RSX beat my best run by 0.049 seconds, which put me in 4th. He and I are usually very close. Neither one of us can compete with the leaders in STS, but we usually have some pretty good competition going between the two of us.

I was holding 3rd place in point standings for the season before I had to miss a race to install a new clutch. I'm currently in 4th place for the season.

Here are the results from the race: http://autocross.com/tr/tr806.shtml#STS

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just added a couple of vids of my dad and I losing control and spinning out in my original post.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Dang! 5 runs! even in the rain. We only got 3 runs in our last Autox of the season here in Philly. I guess with just the rear sway, the rear swings out a lot easier.

Looks like a pretty good course too.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dang! 5 runs! even in the rain. We only got 3 runs in our last Autox of the season here in Philly.
[/b]
We actually only had 4 runs. Very rarely do we get more than that (sometimes it's only 3).

I guess with just the rear sway, the rear swings out a lot easier.
[/b]
I assume you're referring to my setup. To set the record straight - I have both the front and rear Racing Beat sway bars installed.

Looks like a pretty good course too.
[/b]
It was a good course. I know there were a number of sections where I could have carried quite a bit more speed, but I was a bit hesitant on that slick surface.

What club have you been racing with? SCCA? What class?

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
From observing your video, did you ever leave first gear until the end?

The reason I'm asking is we have something similar to SCCA in Canada called CASC, and they govern our AutoX racing. From what I have autoX in the past your course looked pretty straight forward. The course that I have run in the past require you to make some decision making, or try and make you run the same area twice but the second time in the oppoisite direction on the same run. Ussually our fastest times range from high 40's to low 50's. I can barely pull of low 60's because my car can get to almost over 100k/'h in the straight sections. Followed by a hard right of left under full braking. I know I am by no means a great driver but I attend almost every event I can in hopes that I will get better.

Depending on which club is holding the event you car placed in classes based on vehicle modifications/ drivetrain and engine displacement. Other clubs will devide up the times into percentiles, so if you are the top of one percentile and go just a little faster you end up being at the bottom of the other precentile resulting in no points.

I would really like to come to the USA next summer and try some SCCA events, I'll be going through their rule book top ensure that they don't send me home.

Here are some examples of some of our courses.

http://www.geocities.com/twinlakesmc/2003/...Aug-23-2003.jpg
http://www.s94743584.onlinehome.us/June_13-2004_Event.pdf
http://www.s94743584.onlinehome.us/July_24...Course_Map_.pdf

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
We actually only had 4 runs. Very rarely do we get more than that (sometimes it's only 3).
I assume you're referring to my setup. To set the record straight - I have both the front and rear Racing Beat sway bars installed.
It was a good course. I know there were a number of sections where I could have carried quite a bit more speed, but I was a bit hesitant on that slick surface.

What club have you been racing with? SCCA? What class?
[/b]
Don't see my sig? haha, Philly Region SCCA, STX class. The tire width pushes me into the class. I run against WRX's and Mini's all day. Not fun time wise but fun nonetheless.

what spring/shock setup do you have?

Other clubs will devide up the times into percentiles, so if you are the top of one percentile and go just a little faster you end up being at the bottom of the other precentile resulting in no points.

[/b]
Really? So it's not best to be in the top of your class? Otherwise you'll get bumped up but at the bottom of the next class? Then what's the incentive to be the fastest in your class?

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
If you get the fastest in your percentile you will get pionts, otherwise you get little pionts if you are in the bottom of the next percentile. I asked them the same question and I was told that it helps make a better driver because in order to do well, you either A have to be the fastest one overall, or B need to know when you have to slow down in the course to keep your time beneth threashold of tht percentile.

I still don't agree with it but I race anyway.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From observing your video, did you ever leave first gear until the end?

The reason I'm asking is we have something similar to SCCA in Canada called CASC, and they govern our AutoX racing. From what I have autoX in the past your course looked pretty straight forward. The course that I have run in the past require you to make some decision making, or try and make you run the same area twice but the second time in the oppoisite direction on the same run. Ussually our fastest times range from high 40's to low 50's. I can barely pull of low 60's because my car can get to almost over 100k/'h in the straight sections. Followed by a hard right of left under full braking. I know I am by no means a great driver but I attend almost every event I can in hopes that I will get better.

Depending on which club is holding the event you car placed in classes based on vehicle modifications/ drivetrain and engine displacement. Other clubs will devide up the times into percentiles, so if you are the top of one percentile and go just a little faster you end up being at the bottom of the other precentile resulting in no points.

I would really like to come to the USA next summer and try some SCCA events, I'll be going through their rule book top ensure that they don't send me home.
Here are some examples of some of our courses.

http://www.geocities.com/twinlakesmc/2003/...Aug-23-2003.jpg
http://www.s94743584.onlinehome.us/July_24...Course_Map_.pdf
[/b]
Pretty much the entire course was in second gear. I was only in first very briefly at the beginning and shifted to second in the slalom.

There is a lot a variance in our courses. Quite often we will have loops (although usually only at the smaller venues) and sometimes some long-ish straights. On several courses I've been hitting a little over 70mph. Those high speed sections are usually followed by hard braking and a turn. Trail-braking is fun! :drive: I've yet to see a course though where there is an optional entry like what's shown in that second map you posted. Times vary depending on the course anywhere from high-30's to high-80's / low-90's. They were kinda limited on course design this time because it was a road course and not a parking lot.

Don't see my sig? haha, Philly Region SCCA, STX class. The tire width pushes me into the class. I run against WRX's and Mini's all day. Not fun time wise but fun nonetheless.
[/b]
Heh! My bad. I've been to Philly once, but only for work. I guess you're running something in excess of 225s? I'm running 225s so I could stay in STS. I would have liked to go wider, but didn't feel I needed to be in a HARDER class. :sarc: I get my ass kicked every time by those damn Civics, but I have fun anyway. I've never seen a Mini run in STX. How do they do? I know they're dominating GS right now at the national level...

what spring/shock setup do you have?
[/b]
I'm running the Mazdaspeed hatch springs with Koni yellows. It's not a super agressive setup, and it doesn't give it that slammed look, but seems like it's a pretty good compromise for street/track.

Other clubs will devide up the times into percentiles, so if you are the top of one percentile and go just a little faster you end up being at the bottom of the other precentile resulting in no points.
[/b]
Really? So it's not best to be in the top of your class? Otherwise you'll get bumped up but at the bottom of the next class? Then what's the incentive to be the fastest in your class?
[/b][/quote]
That's just messed up. Seems like that could be extremely frustrating. "Oops! I went to fast!" :swearin: I guess the SCCA will kick you out of the Novice class and into the regular classes once you start winning, but in regular classes you can sit at the top for as long as you can hold on to it!

I take that back about the optional entries - one place where we have an optionaly entry on almost every course is the slaloms. Some are mandatory that you go through them a certain way, but the optional ones you can start on the right or the left of the first slalom cone. There is almost always a slow way and a fast way to go through the optional slaloms, so you DO have the challenge of trying figuring out which is the best. It's not always that obvious either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts