Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experimented with converting the rear windows to auto up n down like the fronts are?? That would be a cool mod...if it could be done

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have all 4 of mine auto up and down.
[/b]
and, how did you do it?

·
Registered
337 Posts
He had them done aftermarket when he got his Viper 791xv installed, the MS6's have all four windows go down though.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
He had them done aftermarket when he got his Viper 791xv installed, the MS6's have all four windows go down though.
[/b]
Correct.

You could get the solonoids and use those I'd assume. The only problem would be. I'm not sure if you can program auxilary channels on the factory remote at all.

You could get it and just wire the solonoids in to the factory front auto down window's wiring, so that they run off those.

The part number is: 530T for the DEI Window automation system. That covers one set of windows, Up and down.
Unless you can program an aux. channel to control them on the factory fob, I think all you could do is hook them to the front auto windows and you'd only be able to roll them down not up.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
so r u sayin to connect the rear wires to the front auto window wires like splice it?
[/b]
I wouldn't splice it. But I'd by some wire. run one end to th eneeded solonoids or whatever for the rear. and the other end to the already installed front application. then solder the wires together.

I'm not saying it would work. I'm just throwing out IDEA'S is all. as I didn't have to worry about any of this.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
hmmm... sounds like it would work, but the only thing i think that would happen is if you put down the front the back would go down to.. but maybe not.hmm.. im gonna go take a look at that today.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
hmmm... sounds like it would work, but the only thing i think that would happen is if you put down the front the back would go down to.. but maybe not.hmm.. im gonna go take a look at that today.
[/b]
Yeah, if you wire it in to the front auto down windows. all 4 will go down instead of just the 2. But not back up.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Are the physical switches the same in size in all the models? I do know the switch panels for the 03-05 differ from the 06-on. If that is the case, i'll purchase some switches off ebay.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
My guess (and this is a guess only) is that the auto up/down feature is built into the master window switch assembly in the driver's door. Each window switch needs to have two detents or "levels", one for regular up/down function, and then the further one for the auto up/down function. If you don't have this in the driver's door switches, how do you switch between the two modes? The other 3 door switches are the regular ones. On my MS6 all 4 window switches in the driver's door have two detents in each direction (up and down).

Also, I'm not sure if this feature is available in the regular 6, but upgrading would give the ability to open all the windows one inch for venting with a single touch of each window's button on the driver's door switch panel. This works on all 4 windows, and my guess is it's bulit into the driver's side master switch assembly again.

Having said this, I don't know if anything else is different in the system in addition to this. I've taken the doors apart and know the passenger door switches are relatively simple compared to the driver's door switch panel.

Here's my guess at how the logic and window functions work:
1. Local door switch assembly contains logic for determining upper limit and lower limit. This is demonstrated by the need to recalibrate each window from their respective door switch when battery is disconnected.
2. Once local door switch is programmed it opens itself to commands from master window switch in driver's door.
3. Master window switch is now free to send varying commands/signals to each passenger door window. My guess is these would be digital codes, vs an analog signal, ie. Open/Close step, Open/Close full, Open 1". The local window switch interprets these digital codes and converts it to the appropriate signal to drive the window motor the necessary amount (my guess is the signal is a binary step function, as I'm guessing the window motor is a stepper motor).

For those interested, I'm pretty sure the window control operates in open loop (no feedback - door motor does not know where window glass is at all times; it extrapolates it's position after upper limit has been set). This is one of the benefits of using a stepper motor. Once the reference points are set (upper and lower limit), the stepper motor can quite accurately "guess" at the position of the door glass based on how many "steps" it's been commanded to move.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I doubt its this simple but can't you just get like the window switch circuit boards from all the doors of an MS6 and get all the switches from an MS6 and just throw them in to an 06 6 since they probably will have the most similar design.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts