Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd double check to see if the system holds 8.2 quarts of tranny oil as it seems quite a bit. Has anyone changed their own automatic transmission oil yet and does 8.2 quarts seem correct?
Thanks for your replies.:smile2:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Im about to do this myself, about 60K miles and already on jacks for tire rotation and oil change. Are you using Mazda branded tranny oil? Ive been looking for an alternative.

I know they claim you have to use theirs...blah, blah, blah, they all say that and its bullshit for the most part. There are other fluids claiming compatibility and I been using valvoline max life multi vehicle ATF in other vehicles with good results. I think they claim its compatible with just about everything

·
Registered
693 Posts
In some circumstances the slipperiness of the fluid does count a lot, and while there may be several commercially available fluids out there that could work, you may be taking a chance with them.

And also, there are some A/T's out there that are really, really fussy with regards to fluid and will not tolerate any variance in that regard.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I think ill give it a go. This tranny has been around for awhile and used in Ford Fusions from way back, although its been updated. I just cant stomach dealer prices for trans fluid.

·
Registered
368 Posts
just thought Id share, glad I changed fluid when I did. Car has 58,120 miles, I wasnt expecting fluid to be as dirty as it was or the amount of gunk in the pan and on magnet. Ive changed ATF in other vehicles with many more miles on them and the fluid and pan were much cleaner than this. So I would suggest if anybody wants to keep their M6 long term, ATF fluid change at 60k mile intervals definitely a worthwhile task.

·
Registered
17 Posts
just thought Id share, glad I changed fluid when I did. Car has 58,120 miles, I wasnt expecting fluid to be as dirty as it was or the amount of gunk in the pan and on magnet. Ive changed ATF in other vehicles with many more miles on them and the fluid and pan were much cleaner than this. So I would suggest if anybody wants to keep their M6 long term, ATF fluid change at 60k mile intervals definitely a worthwhile task.
I wish I changed mine at 40 or 50k instead of when I did at 80k. Just like you found, I had a lot of metal particles on the magnet and the fluid was in rough shape. I used atf multi vehicle max life and have had no issues to date. I have put about 3k miles since the change. I’m with you, I can’t see paying the oem prices.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I wish I changed mine at 40 or 50k instead of when I did at 80k. Just like you found, I had a lot of metal particles on the magnet and the fluid was in rough shape. I used atf multi vehicle max life and have had no issues to date. I have put about 3k miles since the change. I’m with you, I can’t see paying the oem prices.
I just did a 'service' on my 2014 Mazda 6 transaxle (@65.5 K miles). With the car level I got just under 4 quarts drained from the pan. The old ATF looked VERY clean so I didn't bother with a filter change. I refilled the transaxle with just under 4 quarts of the very spendy Mazda ATF and then ran the engine for a good 5 minutes shifting from drive to reverse. I then drained the ATF again and refilled as before. I used an infrared temperature tool to make sure the ATF level was checked at ~120 degrees F when idling in park.

I got the Mazda ATF from Med Center Mazda. Part # is 0000-FZ-113E-01 and it's currently $11.50. You should be able to get this oil at your local Mazda dealer.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have a 2015 6 and just did a drain, drop pan, replace filter and refill. I measured 5.5 quarts coming out and that’s what I put back in. Checked it while running and level was perfect.
I did similar, but didnt measure what came out, just put 5.5 q back in. It ended up on the high side, but im not going to worry about it. To drain some would be easy since the pan has a plug in case anyone else ends up in this predicament. make sure you warm it up and shift through all the gears before taking your dipstick reading

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yeah, the best price I could find was $17 a jug at walmart, so thats like $4.25 per quart, fairly reasonable these days

·
Registered
368 Posts
I just did a 'service' on my 2014 Mazda 6 transaxle (@65.5 K miles). With the car level I got just under 4 quarts drained from the pan. The old ATF looked VERY clean so I didn't bother with a filter change. I refilled the transaxle with just under 4 quarts of the very spendy Mazda ATF and then ran the engine for a good 5 minutes shifting from drive to reverse. I then drained the ATF again and refilled as before. I used an infrared temperature tool to make sure the ATF level was checked at ~120 degrees F when idling in park.

I got the Mazda ATF from Med Center Mazda. Part # is 0000-FZ-113E-01 and it's currently $11.50. You should be able to get this oil at your local Mazda dealer.
Did u drop the pan and clean it? Thats where all the nasty stuff settles. Even if you remove the filter and reuse it, just removing it allows probably another half quart or more to drain out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts