Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched through some of the TCS threads and it seems that alot of you would like it if the traction control could turn itself off automatically when you start the car. I wish for the same thing. I came up with an idea tonite for a simple circuit that should do just that. I haven't prototyped it yet, just an idea on paper. If it works like I think, it should be simple to wire up, just +12v from the "ignition on" circuit, ground and clip 2 wires across the TCS OFF button. It would wait 2 or 3 seconds after the IGNITION circuit goes hot, then send a half second pulse across the terminals of the TCS OFF button. The ECU shouldn't know that it isn't you pushing the button. The 2 second wait is to allow time for you to start the engine after turning the key, and for everything else to settle into running order. A simple toggle switch would disable the whole circuit for those of you who live in more inhospitable climates and want TCS on more than off for extended periods of time. When I get time to get the parts I'll work on it and see what I can come up with. A couple questions for anybody who knows. 1) Would it be possible to change the color of the TCS OFF dash light to red so it doesn't stand out as bad? If it is just an LED, swapping a red for a yellow should work. If it is an incandescent lamp and a yellow colored film, would it be possible to change the film? The TCS OFF light is VERY bright at night and it can't be dimmed with the dimmer :( 2) How hard is it to get into the area where the TCS OFF button is? I haven't looked into it yet, I just started thinking about this tonite.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Auto TCS OFF'

Sounds like it would work. You would probably need a time chip of some sort to get the delay. Not sure whats in the dash, but the cruise control is even brighter. BTW, have you had any of those boxy robots after you with the cool lasers?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Reading Topic: Auto TCS OFF

OK you can do this with a simple relay ! that is it ! you dont need a time ciruct.. i did it a while back ..

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Humm, a simple relay, that would be too easy. Besides, I've been going to school for 2.5 years now for electronics and by god I'm going to use all that knowledge that's crammed in my head if it kills me! LOL Has anybody ever actually pulled the dash out and looked behind the instrument cluster? It looks like you'd have to take half the dash plus the engine to get to it.....

And no, I haven't seen any Daleks lately :p

·
Registered
1,781 Posts

I have not seen anyone talking about pulling the dash out. I think because it looks like a pain. You could always be the first and take pictures and write a report for the rest of us lazy bastard. HEHE

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Well, I wasn't jumpy enough to pull the dash out, but my "AUTO TCS OFF" circuit works. WOOHOO, I did something that works, for a change :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I used a 555 timer IC wired for about a 6 second delay. I got the power from a red wire w/ white stripe coming from the fuse box under the dash, which is the ignition switch hot wire. Then I got ground from the bottom side of the TCS Off switch, which is grounded. And the trigger wire to the other side of the switch. But for some reason, it didn't work when I started my car when I got off work lastnight. Then it worked when I got home and tried it again. I'll have to figure that out, maybe it was just cold. :) I can try to draw up the schematic and post it if anybody is interested.

·
Registered
826 Posts

Hey, I had a diagram using a 555 Timer to do the same thing... I just never have taken the time to build it... you beat me to it!!!

Did you make yourself a board to put it all on?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Reading Topic: Auto TCS OFF

Too much Stuff to do .. just use a relay .. i said it before and again .. that is all you need!

just have the starter wire .. triger the relay for a ground pulse on the tcs switch

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Originally posted by SQMazda 6                ok .. yea i have my electronics degree ..  i just like useing the easy way out !:)
Easy way out? No, you must make things overly complicated so that they cause more problems than are necessary and cause general headaches for everybody involved. Just like Microsoft :)

·
Registered
1,781 Posts

Well, now that you have taken the dash apart, where are the pix and the instructions? HEHE

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Originally posted by jrsy91gmc                Hey, I had a diagram using a 555 Timer to do the same thing... I just never have taken the time to build it... you beat me to it!!!  Did you make yourself a board to put it all on?
I just hand wired it on a blank PC board and fit it into a really small plastic box I got at Radio Shack. I don't have a digital camera so I couldn't take any pix, sorry :(

·
Registered
417 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Auto TCS OFF'

I`m just asking, so please dont have a go at me , but why do you want to turn off the TCS everytime ?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Originally posted by rrhunt28                Well, now that you have taken the dash apart, where are the pix and the instructions? HEHE
I haven't taken the dash apart, yet. I'll just live with the bright TCS and CRUISE lights for now. That may be a project for warmer weather :)

·
Registered
461 Posts

Originally posted by nigelpinder

I`m just asking, so please dont have a go at me , but why do you want to turn off the TCS everytime ?
added hp, and a little more fun to drive.

·
Registered
826 Posts

Originally posted by Doctor Who
I just hand wired it on a blank PC board and fit it into a really small plastic box I got at Radio Shack.  I don't have a digital camera so I couldn't take any pix, sorry :(
Could you tell me which one you used? I know they got a few universal ones...

You buy all your components from the Shack?

Matter of fact, any way you could get me your diagram?

Now that you've done it, I gotta try it...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
11 Participants
Doctor Who
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing