Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched for this in the past but only found people talking about things they would like changed in the MS6.

After comparing the wifes CX-7 and my MS6, I've noticed one thing her car does have that mine doesn't--auto sunroof open (ie press the open button once and it opens as compared to having to hold it) The buttons on both vehicles look identical, but i didnt know if this was a car computer controlled thing or if this controlled by the switch that is installed.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Coming from an Audi as a previous vehicle, I also wish my MS6 provided a method to fully open the sunroof without holding the button.

I've started working on a side project to hack this functionality into the sunroof controls. Basically, if you hold one of the buttons for a set amount of time (say 1.5 seconds), the circuitry will latch the button press and continue opening or closing the window.

I've completed a proof-of-concept test circuit, but I haven't yet tried integrating it with the sunroof controls. I'm working on a method to do this with out cutting the existing wiring.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Piece of cake, use the DEI window controller and you can have that.
[/b]
I know with my old Contour you could swap the switch for a auto down window switch and it would work great.(yes the sunroof switch was the same as a window switch)

You could try swapping the two and see if it worked. If you hook the switch up backwards you could end up with auto close! :laugh:

Let us know if you figure out anything, I'd love to have that feature!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Well... the moonroof swtches... are completely different tha the side window switches so that won't work... the ECU programs and runs the auto up-down feature on the side windows.... At least I assume it does considering it needs to be programmed to work...

So... knowing that... I doubt a simple switch change would solve our problem... I've asked around and talked with a few stereo shops.. and such... none of which know of any easy or reasonable ideas to fix this....

If someone does figure it out... I hope they post a walkthrough or something as I know EVERY SINGLE speed6 owner wants this!

My girlfriends POS jetta has this feature... Scion's have this feature....

My guess is.. they were too cheap to give us MP3 cd player... they're too cheap to give us proper moonroof

·
Registered
708 Posts
by the way, my Mazda 3s has this feature also...I wish my 6 had this feature too..It is a particular thing on my 6 that bugs me..

·
Registered
557 Posts
I've been trying to find answers as well, since I had it in my SP23; this holding the sunroof button just seems so 90's to me :(

Anyone know if maybe the 2007 MS6's have them?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Mine has the one-touch switch, but I had an after market one installed. :p
I would try talking to a shop the installs moon roofs. Maybe it's possible by just changing the switch and doing a little rewiring.

·
Registered
2017 MZ6 GT Jet Black Mica
3,575 Posts
I have a 6i with a moonroof. I was going to have the windows fixed so all 4 did auto-down/up (only my front 2 open with the remote now), as well as the sunroof (which means it would have to be express-open to do so). This stereo shop told me they could do it, and the entire job would be about $500. I erased the thought from my head at that point.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have a 6i with a moonroof. I was going to have the windows fixed so all 4 did auto-down/up (only my front 2 open with the remote now), as well as the sunroof (which means it would have to be express-open to do so). This stereo shop told me they could do it, and the entire job would be about $500. I erased the thought from my head at that point. [/b]

Maybe all you need is the switch box from the MS6. Mine has this feature you speak of.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
once i get back in from being out to sea, i will go and order the moonroof switch assembly for the CX-7 and for the MS6. I will dissect it once it arrives. The joys of being an electrician--all the neato tools to do this stuff. Yes, i do have the capability to make an auto-open switch, but i dont like the idea of it looking "aftermarket". I'm pretty sure they are identical switches (size/shape/color) will let you guys know what i find out.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Maybe all you need is the switch box from the MS6. Mine has this feature you speak of.
[/b]
ms6's don't do auto up/down on all 4 windows that's what he was wanting.

·
Registered
45 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
By the way, the MS6 does have auto up and down windows, but only from the drivers window controls.
[/b]
thats odd, i have auto-up/down control from all 4 of my windows (driver does all 4, and then remaining 3 does their own auto up/down)

·
Registered
45 Posts
thats odd, i have auto-up/down control from all 4 of my windows (driver does all 4, and then remaining 3 does their own auto up/down)
[/b]
:)
You're probably right, I'm always driving, so I guess I didnt notice ;)

G

·
I found a great "How To" on a sister board, it's for the protege, but should be applicable to our MS6's

http://www2.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70456

By the way, the MS6 does have auto up and down windows, but only from the drivers window controls.

T.[/b]
Hey -T-. I have gotten all of the parts in the protege walk through. However when I look at the back of the Sunroof controls it is not the same. As far as how the wiring is it is a different set up from the Protege. I am going to do the Protege install on my 6 and see if I can take pics of the whole project while I do it. I took a quick glance at the back of the controls and found that there is a green cover with 4 screws that covers the sunroof controls. I will take that off and go from there.
ll let you all know whats up.

May the Funk Be with you!! :D

·
Registered
406 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. Under the programming of the KeyFob, it states you can program the windows to open when hitting the unlock button. I was wondering if you could do this for the sunroof as well?? Someone find out how to do this.

·
Registered
557 Posts
ms6's don't do auto up/down on all 4 windows that's what he was wanting.[/b]
Sorry to bring up this thread so late but to clarify, the MS6 does have auto up/down on all 4 windows. I have an MS6, I should know...

BTW, I'm still experimenting to see how to get the auto open/close on the moonroof :sigh:

1 - 20 of 85 Posts