Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you probably know by now (due to my continuous telling you so); Mazda6 was launched in Sweden a couple of weeks ago.

For this reason, the car now has passed through the test panels of most of our large motor papers.

Today I got to read the test in Auto Motor & Sport (the swedish edition). The article is a dual-test between Alfa Romeo 156 and Mazda6 2.3.

I have, in true and faithful Mazda-spirit, translated a part for you guys. Phew! (If you wish, I can translate the rest, but that won't be before tomorrow at the earliest.

/Steve

TWIN SOULS

Alfa 156 JTS agains Mazda6 2.3. Alfa's and Mazda's respective bragging could also fit on the competitor. Design and driving joy are the trademarks in both cases, and both truly live up to that.

The chock comes already in the first curve, where I almost drive into the ditch on the inside! When you turn the wheel in new Mazda6, things happen - and fast!
Probably there has never been anything with so rapid steering in this class, at least not since we drove Alfa 156. But now this is not the only reason why we have matched Mazda's new pride against the Alfa. Fact is that the two have more similarities than differences.
Already on the paper, the two are astonishing alike. Both have 166 hp, the Alfa a maximum torque on 206 Nm against the Mazda's 207. Both have four cylinder engines with balance shafts.
But what surprises most is how alike they are in appearance in certain angles. This hits me when I stand at the driver's door on the Mazda6 and let the eye sweep from the A-pillar and down over the front.
The shape is familiar and can be recognized from, that's right, Alfa 156.
The difference is that the Mazda grille is wider than the Alfa's but the difference is not bigger than that it could have been a question about two genereations of the same brand.
Probably the Mazda people have had an Alfa 156, among others, as their inspiration when they decided to turn old Mazda-concepts upside-down and make a sporty car instead of a usable working horse as the predecessor 626.
And they could have chosen a worse raw-model. Alfa 156 is the car that more or less saved Alfa Romeo thanks to a rare combination of driving joy and design. Over 500000 cars have been built.
But Mazda has thrown themselves into the task with enthusiasm. Priority one has been to make a car with a lot of driving joy and by the first impression from the rapid steering they have succeeded.
Mazda6 is a new design throughout the vehicle. And it seems they have spared no effort. Perhaps with the exception of the engines. There are three alternative powerplants. 1.8, 2.0 and 2.3 liters and the two smaller share their construction with Ford's equally-sized engines.
The 2.3 engine Mazda is so far keeping to themselves. What differs from the others is that, apart from the volume, the 2.3 has variable valve timing and a balance shaft to balance the larger engine's longer stroke (94 mm to compare with 83.1).
To match the Alfa's new two liter JTS-machine, you have to take the 2.3 engine and the Mazda engine impresses big from the first meter with its response and fine register. No matter at what rpm, the engine roars its longing for more. The problem is that it actually DO roar. R-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r the engine sighs and you recognize a typical Mazda engine. You almost believe that Mazda has chosen to accentuate the sound to give a sportier image to the car. If so, they are way out of line.
Alfa Romeo already had a fine machine in the 145 Twin Spark, but there is nothing so good it can't get better.

---

The conclusion: Mazda6 wins with 43 stars against 39 for Alfa 156...:D

·
Registered
510 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Auto Motor & Sport test'

:)
Great Report Steve !!

That makes me even more happier about my purchase Decision !!!

Regards
Rod

·
Registered
246 Posts

Steve, what does 'körgladje' mean? I've read a little story about the 6 in the 'Aftonbladet bil' a few months ago when I visited Sweden (at holiday). They were quite positive about the car, and some words I could translate for myself gave me the following pro's and con's:
In Swedish: Rymlig (roomy??); kvalitetskänsla, chassi, köregenskaper (thos damn umlauts!!).
Negative: (again in Swedish) hackig vaxellada (not so smooth gearbox); brummig (noisy, but that's nothing to worry about :)); fjadring över tvarskarvar (clear to me, don't know how to translate it). Yeah, I started to understand it when I combined Dutch, English, French and German.. Swedish is ok, but Finnish, no; THAT is difficult!
And their conclusion about the 6 was: 'Men den ar ju inte riktigt Miata-fantastisk (and to all you non-Swedish; the car is very GOOD)..

Coen

Ps. as soon as we got a scanner, I will scan it in and maybe Steve or another swede can translate it completely..

Pps. does it looks like the cars are much cheaper in Sweden than in the Netherlands?

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Originally posted by OppenheimeR

Steve, what does 'körgladje' mean? I've read a little story about the 6 in the 'Aftonbladet bil' a few months ago when I visited Sweden (at holiday). They were quite positive about the car, and some words I could translate for myself gave me the following pro's and con's:  
In Swedish: Rymlig (roomy??); kvalitetskänsla, chassi, köregenskaper (thos damn umlauts!!).  
Negative: (again in Swedish) hackig vaxellada (not so smooth gearbox); brummig (noisy, but that's nothing to worry about :)); fjadring  över tvarskarvar (clear to me, don't know how to translate it). Yeah, I started to understand it when I combined Dutch, English, French and German.. Swedish is ok, but Finnish, no; THAT is difficult!
And their conclusion about the 6 was: 'Men den ar ju inte riktigt Miata-fantastisk (and to all you non-Swedish; the car is very GOOD)..

Coen  

Ps. as soon as we got a scanner, I will scan it in and maybe Steve or another swede can translate it completely..  

Pps. does it looks like the cars are much cheaper in Sweden than in the Netherlands?[/b]
Hi there.

Your guesses about the meaning of the swedish words are correct. Swedish is a german language and has a lot in common with german, dutch etc. But norwegian and danish - those languages are so much alike swedish that we can actually talk with eachother easy. The differences are more of a dialectal nature.

The conclusion is "But it's not really Miata-fantastic", meaning it's a great car - but not really as breat as the Miata (in matter of driving joy). And driving joy is also the meaning of swedish word "körglädje"

köra=to drive and glädje=joy. (glad=glad)

No need to scan it. The article can be found at: http://www.aftonbladet.se/bil/biltester/20...208/020802.html

I don't know about prices in the Netherlands, but I doubt they are more expensive there.

1€=9.17 swedish kronor. Do the math!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Steve, thanx for taking the time to translate the article. :) That was a good one.

·
Registered
246 Posts

Originally posted by Steve 6er

I don't know about prices in the Netherlands, but I doubt they are more expensive there.

1€=9.17 swedish kronor. Do the math![/b]
The article says that a 6 Sport 2.3 (with 17" alloys and the whole package :D) costs 215.500 kr., 215.500/9.17= 23.500 euro's.. and we pay overhere for the SAME car about 30.000 euro... That sucks :(

Coen

·
Registered
244 Posts

The article says that a 6 Sport 2.3 (with 17" alloys and the whole package :D) costs 215.500 kr., 215.500/9.17= 23.500 euro's.. and we pay overhere for the SAME car about 30.000 euro... That sucks :(

Coen[/b][/quote]

Gets even worse. In here the 2,3 is ~19.500 euro's

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Coen[/b][/quote]

The basic pricing is about the same. But local taxes differ a LOT... In Sweden, VAT is 25%, and we also pay accise a few percents (6 I think...) I guess you're even worse...

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

I'm not so sure about the price tag in Auto Motor & Sport. It says (on page 19, the Economy thing, for you Steve) that the only additional equipment in the Mazda is Metallic paint. On the pictures though, it has both leader and the nav system. And it's problably the cars they have tested, since they have swedish registration plates.
The pricetag on a non metallic, non nav, non leather Mazda 6 2.3 estate is somthing like 220.000 SKR = 23.347 €. They say their car costs 223.000 SEK and the base price is 218.500 SEK. Metallic paint costs 4500 SEK. That's 222.500 SEK. Something's wrong here.

They also say that the cars exteriorly look very much the same, at least in the front area. Excuse me, but i can't really se any resemelance at all... The Alfa looks quite dull besides the 6'. Maybe that the bulge on the hood starts with the doors/front window arrangement (A-stolparna in swedish - help me out Steve :D)....

Otherwise good article. Found out that ths 6 has a subwoofer-thingy in the trunk.. Neat!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

In the Dutch magazine AutoWeek is the Mazda6 SportBreak CiTD (=diesel) tested and it turns out to be a great car/engine! Quiet, fast and the 6 is offcourse very nice

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Originally posted by Blackbird

I'm not so sure about the price tag in Auto Motor & Sport. It says (on page 19, the Economy thing, for you Steve) that the only additional equipment in the Mazda is Metallic paint. On the pictures though, it has both leader and the nav system. And it's problably the cars they have tested, since they have swedish registration plates.
The pricetag on a non metallic, non nav, non leather Mazda 6 2.3 estate is somthing like 220.000 SKR = 23.347 €. They say their car costs 223.000 SEK and the base price is 218.500 SEK. Metallic paint costs 4500 SEK. That's 222.500 SEK. Something's wrong here.

They also say that the cars exteriorly look very much the same, at least in the front area. Excuse me, but i can't really se any resemelance at all... The Alfa looks quite dull besides the 6'. Maybe that the bulge on the hood starts with the doors/front window arrangement (A-stolparna in swedish - help me out Steve :D)....  

Otherwise good article. Found out that ths 6 has a subwoofer-thingy in the trunk.. Neat![/b]
The price is correct in the magazine. If you do the math again, you'll find that 218.500+4.500 equals 223.000.

I agree - the cars do not look alike, at all. But I understand what they mean. They have two close-up photos on the area where the windshield meets the A-pillar and the hood. There they ARE alike!!

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

I will not comment the math issue :p

! They still say that their car's only accessory is the metallic paint. Ok the car cost 223.000 then. But the car on the pictures costs 258 000! 14 000 for the leather package and 21 000 for the nav system. These prices by the way is for a sedan. The hatch is +3000 or something like that...

·
Registered
246 Posts

Coen[/b][/quote]

The basic pricing is about the same. But local taxes differ a LOT... In Sweden, VAT is 25%, and we also pay accise a few percents (6 I think...) I guess you're even worse...[/b][/quote]

Yeah, you're right about that one.. I guess our next car is coming from Estland (Estonia).. Almost 7000 euro's more for the same car isn't normal anymore, that's SICK.. all thanks to the sucking euro!!

Coen

Ps. it wouldn't be a bad idea to combine it with a vacation in Estonia and buy at the same time a new 6.. Now I still have to convince my parents ;)

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

If you buy a car in another country then the one you live in, don't you have to "import" the car and pay the difference in tax to the customs? Or is that only between a non-EU and a EU country?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts