·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They never stop to amaze me!!

Sceneario:
Car test
Class: Estate
Type: They test "the two most probable as company cars"!
Cars:
Mazda 6 2.0
Audi A4 2.0 FSI

Yet again they test a "premium car" against the M6. And you guessed right - the M6 lost to A4. 43 points for Mazda and 46 for Audi.

Scale 1-5

EQ

_____________A4____M6
Driving joy____4____ 4
Comfort______4_____3
Engine/gbox__4_____3
Quality feel___5_____3
Image_______4_____1
Design_______4_____4

Sum_________25____18<<<<

IQ
_____________A4____M6
Economy_____3______4
Safty_________4_____ 4
Int. space____3______4
Luggage_____3______5
Driving safty__4______4
Reliability____4______4

Sum_________21_____25

1. Mazda6 STILL ISN'T A PREMIUM CAR
2. Why have the EQ as a part for the final verict? Should the 6 be less of a car just Mazdas image is bad according to them. To me Mazda is a more of a Sports Car manufacturer then Audi. Sure Audi have the RS cars, but Mazda make TRUE Sports Cars like the RX series.
3. This was about company cars - IQ should rule!

Verdict - M6 is for people with brains - A4 for people that want to be cool and get reeespect despite the fact that the car is worse, since it lost to the inteligent 6 by 4 points.. right?

Now it's a cool magazine, but I really hate their system! A swedish computer magazine called Mikrodatorn have a point-system with "weighted points". They ad another number after the point to show how imortant that thing is. I havn't figured it out really myself yet :) but I still think it would be a far better way of juding a car.
In this article for instance, Safty, luggage space and reliability is FAR more importent then Image and Design! I also think they should move the Comfort to IQ instead of EQ.

EDIT HUGE typo!!

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Reading Topic: Auto Motor & Sport #2

Damn close in points. Considering the 6 is 'out of Audi's league'. Meaning Mazda6 is not in the same price bracket.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

The '6 is also not in the same size bracket. To compare trunk spaces is as lopsided as comparing image.

·
Registered
736 Posts

So true. Its possible that they gave the 6 a 1 for image due to the fact that it is a brand new car to the market. Keep in mind also that Mazda was fazed out of the mainstream by tough competition from Honda, Toyota, Acura etc. It wasn't until recently that Mazda sedans were even recognized as an option for most mainstream buyers. The 6 is good for Mazda on so many levels that its sick. I for one am happy to know that the only way Audi won the competition was through having a better "image".

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

All the time they say that Mazda is on its way of refining image - but the points never get any higher! How is a company gona get higher image when papers keep wríting them down? My friends are much more impressed by our Mazda then of one of my friends familys E180 Esprit. Onother family I know have a 180C Kompressor, and that might be more "impressive" to others then the 6 - caues it's a MUCH sportier and "cooler" car I admit that. But the owner of that car (he's quite a Merc fan) still, when picking up his son after one of our LAN partys, said that the Mazda was very beutyful and that he liked it!

The 1 in image cannot be just for the car is new. They tested it so many times now that for them, it's not new. They are just that type of people who would (they do in this íssue!) complain a little that the Audi S4's interior is not the same quality that BMW M3... They test super sport cars all the time and I guess to them M6 is just a boring family car. And it's a Mazda. They are used to drive Jaguars, Bentlys ,EVO's and Ferraris.

Though I have to add that they don't really bash the 6 in the article itself. They do complain about roadnoise, ride stiffnes and a quite weak engine. And that might be true. And they do take up the fact that it's amazing how Mazda has advanced, it's now so good so they even think of testing it against premium cars. So they really like the car, but they like the A4 more. Though - in a company car test, they don't say a thing about it's role as a company car. They don't mention that Mazdas qualitys - the IQ portion of their stupid test system, is much more important to fleet buyers then the EQ!

And I wonder - why hasn't anyone tested the 6 agianst it's main rivals yet? THinking - I can't remember the 6 in a test against say Mondeo, Vectra, Laguna or any of those. A Swedish magazine tested it against Alfa 156, whitch is quite fare, maybe the Alfa is a bit old though to have a fair chance... And there was a "preview" aritcle on some website of the 6 against the new Accord I recall... But that's about it.

So.. Maybe the 6 IS a premium car after all? Everyone in the pressworld seems to think so at least :)

And honstely - would you choose a slim and slender 6 over a lump of 2 tons of german steel with a design that says "under cover car" :) Noooooo :)

·
Registered
71 Posts

Well, well. Mazda lost 3 points in total and 3 points in "image".
That means that aside "image" Mazda is as good as at least
60% more expensiver "Lord of rings".
In my country "image" means you have greater possibility for
your car to be stolen and "exported" to Russia. Don't know many
companies, which would be happy to pay 60% higher price,
more than 60% higher KASKO premium (Audis are in risk category here) and have a car which is as good as Mazda. Aside "image".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Auto Motor & Sport #2'

If you SUM IQ + EQ => M6 = 21 + 25 = 46 and A4= 25 + 21= 46

So I dont understand?

:sarc

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I made a BIIG mistake I see now.. THe Mazda didn't get 21 in the EQ - it got 18!

My fault. Thanks ss2ss for seeing it :)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

I think Mazda is on the right track with their image. It may take awhile, but they are on the right track.

Mazda is known for the ultra-high performance RX7, and hence the rotary, and a fun-to-drive convertible with an extremely loyal following. To release a sqishy car like the Accord or Camry obviously doesn't fit with the percieved image of Mazda that has been built on the RX7, the rotary engine, and the Miata. A sports sedan is much more within the lines of expanding that image.

Once cars such as the '6 are established, Mazda will have shown it has it's place in the sedan market. Then, if they desire, I think a luxury sedan from Mazda may be successful - but only if they keep some zoom in it.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

I could have bought the A4 if I had wanted to. I didn't. The Mazda6 is as premium in my eyes as every the A4. And it's a better car, and MUCH better handling.

That doesn't mean I don't like the A4. I do. But my 6 is much better. Simple as that. End of story. Goodnight. Amen. Period...

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

Odd to me. Blurry is vision-impairing. Distorted would be involved in hearing or comprehending reading. There that's better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts