Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen postings about this on earlier models of the Mazda 6.

Ever since I bought my new 2018 Mazda 6 Touring, I have noticed that sometimes when I return to my car, the doors are not locked. I probably didn't pay attention to whether the beep sounds occurred during the auto lock as I walk away from the car. Sometimes the car does automatically lock when I walk away, and other times it does not lock.

I contacted Mazda about this issue, and they replied that there are no known problems with the auto-lock function and that I should take the car to my dealer to get checked. I am suspecting that this is the result of a design flaw with the method in which the car determines when to automatically lock the doors. I haven't completely been able to determine why it works sometimes and other times why it doesn't work. I am suspecting that maybe it has something to do with walking away from the car too quickly or maybe closing the doors while outside of the proximity range of the key fob sensor.

Has anyone else experienced the problem with auto-lock not always working? Should I take the car to my dealer or is this just how it works?

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had same problem with my 2018 mazda 6 signature.
Just make sure you stay close to the door when you close it, then you will hear beep noise.
Then you walk away, you hear another beep, which means the doors are locked.
As long as you do this, the auto door lock will work all the time.
Just make sure you hear beep before you leave your car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had same problem with my 2018 mazda 6 signature.
Just make sure you stay close to the door when you close it, then you will hear beep noise.
Then you walk away, you hear another beep, which means the doors are locked.
As long as you do this, the auto door lock will work all the time.
Just make sure you hear beep before you leave your car.
Listening for the beep is something that I haven't quite gotten used to doing. To me, it seems like a poorly designed auto-lock implementation. Prior to purchasing my Mazda 6, I had a 2016 Chevy Malibu that always auto-locked the car if any door was shut (after being open) and the key-fob was not in range of the car. Thus, if someone was taking their time getting out of the car, I could walk away and still be confident that the doors would lock once the person shut the car door. I sort of got used to this and now I have to keep in mind that the Mazda does not work this way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Funny, both my 2015 and my 2018 have that "problem". I even tried to have a dealer resolve it on the 15', and of course they could not replicate it when they had the car and were clueless about what causes the car not to auto lock.

I should have asked here. Thanks guys.

·
Administrator
8,397 Posts
Oh how I miss the handle sensor. That was one of my favorite features of my '09 as well.
Make that 3 of us.

The handle sensor was fantastic, as well as the Auto-down and Auto-up windows (and moonroof) with only the key and key fob, the auto-dimming mirrors on BOTH side mirrors as well as the rear-view...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
Mz6GreyGhost
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing