Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm interested in getting the AE ScanTool but wanted to get some opinions on the type that I should purchase.

First, I have both a laptop and a palm available. So do you guys think the convenience of having the Palm permanently hooked up is worth sacrificing PC version of the software? My assumption is that the PC software will be a lot more feature rich and easier to work with.

Second, assuming I were to go with the PC version. Is there any benefit when comparing USB vs Serial vs Bluetooth. Will one of the particular versions allow for better performance? I've heard of problems when trying to scan multiple sensors at the same time.

Thanks for any input, just want to make sure I get the "right" one.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
The features are the same on both, but one could argue that the PC version is easier to use since there's more screen space to work with and you get to use a mouse.

You can actually buy a license that will allow you to use the Serial AutoEnginuity on both a Palm and your PC. I don't remember the cost off the top of my head, but I could call and find out if necessary.

Obviously, if you wanted the ability to change from Palm to PC, you would need the Serial version. The USB version is convenient and most new computers don't have serial ports, but as far as performance goes, it doesn't make a difference. The Bluetooth works well too, but it takes a little extra time to establish the Bluetooth connection before the software can be used.

Hopefully this helps. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to further assist you.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just bought the USB since serial is passé now. Don't have the PALM or PocketPC.

I did read AE's site first and they warned against BlueTooth for one reason I can't remember! That said, they obviously sell it to those who want BT features. But $129 more! Yikes.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies all. I decided to go with PC/USB. Just seemed the most universally useful for the long haul.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts