Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope someone has some insight on this problem for me. As I drive my 05 6i ATX it seems to do a slight "thump" as I slow down. This happens as I approach stop signs or traffic lights. The tranny seems to downshift as I let it coast before applying the brakes. It kind of feels as if I drove over one of those reflectors in the painted lines on the road or a very small divot in the road. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this? I have already had my car reflashed due to acceleration issues several months ago.

Thanks for any help I can get on this.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I hope someone has some insight on this problem for me. As I drive my 05 6i ATX it seems to do a slight "thump" as I slow down. This happens as I approach stop signs or traffic lights. The tranny seems to downshift as I let it coast before applying the brakes. It kind of feels as if I drove over one of those reflectors in the painted lines on the road or a very small divot in the road. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this? I have already had my car reflashed due to acceleration issues several months ago.

Thanks for any help I can get on this.
[/b]
i have an 03 and the samething happens, it is normal as the atx goes into first gear. eventhough, my car has been at the dealer for 4 days now, dealing with a peoblem with my sportshifter. i wish i bought an mtx.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Is this in M mode or D mode?

I have the '04 6s 5 spd ATX, and haven't noticed this in either mode. Is it just the 6i maybe?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this in M mode or D mode?

I have the '04 6s 5 spd ATX, and haven't noticed this in either mode. Is it just the 6i maybe?
[/b]
This is happening in "D" mode. I never drive mine in "M" mode. Everytime it shifts down into 1st it thumps like I ran over something.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I was actually just about to post on this. When I am driving at around 40 mph and going down hill, I let off the gas because there is a light at the bottom of the hill. If I'm in 5th gear, when its downshifting you feel the entire car jerk when it downshifts all the way down to second gear. It's starting to get annoying.

Thats the thing I dont understand about the car - gear shifting is so noticeable in the ATX. How come it cant be any smoother?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Not sure on the smoother gear shifting.

What are they called, Continually Variable Transmission, I think that would be the ultimate answer.

I have the 5 speed Crapco as well, and have never really noticed any of the bad shift shock, or transmission downshift issues mentioned here. Not to say I'm a grandma driver (which I never understood that analogy since my g'ma has been pulled over for speeding), as I do like the pep and get. The only time I have noticed it is when I step on it and the system does jerk from 1st to 2nd.

I did the transmission cooler install, since I would like to extend the life of the beast, and that greatly reduced the 1st to 2nd jerk when I stomp it. I plan on doing a synthetic tranny fluid swap soon, and have heard that helps as well.

·
Registered
544 Posts
pretty normal for any ATX to jerk into first actually .. i think all my cars do that.

also, this is a "smart tranny", where it will downshift for you when u are going downhill ... donno about downshifting all the way to second tho. If u want to keep a higher gear instead of low gear engine breaking, then use the M mode

·
Registered
110 Posts
You know, i was actually about to post about this as well. If I had done a bit more research, and known this was an issue, I probably wouldn't have bought my car. It's unfortunate that Mazda could not adequately deal with a small quality issue like this (relative to the entire automobile).

Mind you, this is the only problem I've had with my car in the 9 & a half months that I've had it, so I'm not too concerned and the car is a fun ride nonetheless! I'll happily keep it, use the manual shift mode with pride, and endure the jerky downshift because, quite frankly, it's a small price to pay to drive one of the nicest mid-sized sedans around!

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have an '03 GS-V6 with the 5AT Crap-tastico that does the same thing as well...slowing down at certain speeds, while lightly applying the brakes gives a nice little "nudge" when downshifting.

It's usually the worst with 3rd gear. Two dealers have both given me the run-around...man I need more free time so I can deal with this!!

·
Registered
704 Posts
I haven't noticed the bump in d mode but it always happens in m mode. Usually only 1st gear. Unless you are tring to save your brakes, there is really no reason to down shift with the atx ( that is in order to stop, not go!)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Old topic.. but mine did this too.. until I got it replaced for other issues with it.. but it downshifts from 3rd to 1st when you come to a stop it never hits second unless you manually downshift, (from what I can tell)..
I just installed a tranny cooler and am going to do a flush(partial) and install an inline tranny filter next weekend. But just the cooler itself helps with some of the jerking..

Althought it wasnt jerking too bad because I just got it replaced.. I still think it helped with faster smoother shifting.. hopefully with synthetic ATF it will be even that much better.. but its not a night and day thing.. you just notice it being a little nicer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE: Well after complaining about this to the service department at every service visit. They were finally able to figure it out. They contacted Mazda and I guess it took enough people to report this as it has become a known issue. Mazda Tech Support had the service techs perform a few tests and they concluded the tranny needed to be replaced. This is a factory defect that they report as slippng. As I stated before it always felt like a jerk or bump when it down shifts. I am glad it is being addressed after going round and round with them for over a year. It has done this since day one when I bought the car. I am sure glad this is still under warranty. LOL

·
Registered
13 Posts
Greetings,

Just a small question to see whether the problem I have fits within the same category as this.

I'm curious to know if anything is wrong (electrically/mechanically or other) which causes our car (2005 Sportwagon) to downshift to 1st gear where I feel it should have downshifted to 2nd instead.

Typical scenarios:
- When slowing down for speed bumps, I would expect car to downshift from 3rd to 2nd gear (since I've slowed down but haven't actually stopped). Instead, it goes from 3rd down to 1st, then one or two seconds afterwards it upshifts to 2nd. Especially annoying in shopping malls when there are several speed bumps - it just makes it feel like a clunky ride.
- When slowing down to turn left. The car is still moving slowly, and then you see the opportunity to turn (before oncoming traffic comes). From 3rd gear it shifts down to 1st even though I am convinced that it would have been much smoother and just as powerful if it had downshifted to 2nd.

Each time it shifts down to 1st, the car revs a lot (obviously, since the car is already moving at about 10 mph before the downshift to 1st) before shifting back up to 2nd.

Is this the same thing that others are experiencing, or is there something that I can ask my dealer to simply tweak in the car so that the driving is more normal?

Thanks for your input.

areacode514

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
You know, I've had my '05 6S wagon for 5 weeks now and I'm starting to wonder how much of my transmission 'trouble' isn't really 'trouble'....

What I mean is that it is a 6 speed with only 2 settings - 'D' or manual mode. Well, in Drive, under less than heavy throttle it's going to always be looking for the highest possible gear it can shift into. If you watch the gear indicator you see the tranny is doing just that. My previous car was an Acura Integra with two shift modes- 'D' and 'Sport'. In Drive it would do the same thing as the 6 - always trying it's damndest to get to 4th/OD. When I'd put it in Sport mode where it would only shift from 1st to 3rd, things were fine. When I am in the throttle a bit heavier, there is nothing wrong with the shifting behavior, even after up to temp and after an extended period of time. If the tranny was going to have issues, I would think it would be then.

I'll give this a little bit longer, but I wonder if part of this is simply getting used to things. And I've been wondering - is that all the re-flash did/does, maybe alter the shift behavior?

Who knows, I may just be full of hot air. :nana:

Karl

·
Registered
241 Posts
mine doesn't thud but i wish it wouldn't down shift so much

Its annoying to put it in manual just so you can coast more

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
14 Participants
clipse2141
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing