Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if anyone has posted this yet, if so, my bad, but here we go:

I just put my new auto dimming mirror on, and I was gonna post a how-to with pictures, but it was so easy that pictures are not necessary (plus my camera is out of batteries :p)

1. Remove stock mirror by inserting a small flathead screwdriver into the slot on bottom of mirror mount. Twist the screwdriver in order to raise the mirror off of the button and wiggle it upward and off.

2. Install new fancy mirror by sliding it onto the mounting button until it clicks into place (it may take several wiggles until you hear the click).

3. Remove door sill, fuse box cover, rubber doorjam trim, and a-pillar "garnish", aka plastic a-pillar cover. To remove this, pull the rubber trim off the garnish, then slide it upward to release a plastic pin, then pop off the other two clips and remove.

4. Locate red wire with white stripe coming out of the top of the fusebox. Crimp red wiretap onto red w/ white stripe.

5. Locate ground bolt approximately 12" above fuse block. This requires a good amount of contorting to reach. Remove bolt with 10mm socket, place ground wire around bolt, and reinstall.

6. Connect wiring harness for mirror to crimped-on wiretap (wiretap is a female connector, harness is a matching male connector.

7. Squeeze the rest of the harness through the crack between dashboard and doorjam, just to the left of the hood release.

8. Hide the wire behind dashbard between dash and doorjamb.

9. Ziptie wiring onto stock wiring behind a-pillar all the way up to the headliner. Be careful that the wiring harness does not block clips on garnish.

10. Tuck wiring under headliner all the way to the mirror.

11. Connect harness to mirror and tuck away any excess wiring (I had several inches of excess).

12. Replace garnish, doorjam trim, sill plate and fusebox cover.

13. Turn car on, and hold down right button on mirror until ZONE is displayed.

14. Select proper zone for where you live from the chart in the instructions.

15. Clean, adjust, and enjoy!

I know pictures would have made this better, and if I get a chance I'll add some, but honestly it's not necessary. This is the easiest upgrade I've done yet. Start to finish it took me around 30 minutes, and if I had more space in the garage it would have been even quicker.

The mirror adds a nice touch of class to the interior. It is also considerably wider than the standard, so that should mean better visibility, but I haven't driven around with it yet. The compass feature seems very helpful, but once again usage will determine that for sure.

Overall, I'm very satisfied. The homelink didn't really appeal to me and it damn near doubled the price of the mirror. I'd say if your car didn't come with this, consider adding it. It's a cool new toy for the car, and that's ALWAYS a good thing! Questions/comments welcome.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
i would think there would just be a small wire comming down to the mirror, maybe a couple inches if even?

Isnt there some kind of plastic guard to cover the hanging wire also or nah?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll try to get a couple of pics out of the dying batteries tomorrow and I'll post 'em. There's a little nylon sleeve that covers the wirng as it goes up into the headliner. The windshield is dark in that spot so you can't see it from the outside, and the mirror sits higher than the stock one so it's very hard to see from the inside. It looks very clean, you have to be looking to notice the nylon sleeve. You'll see what I mean when I get the pics up.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Boy, that was wierd. Driving home last night I noticed that my factory fog lights weren't working. I checked the fuses today and everything appeared to be in order. I disconnected the mirror, and the fogs worked! I checked the connections, they looked fine and I reconnected the mirror, and now everything works! How bizare. Who knows what that was about, but I'll have to keep an eye on the whole thing and make sure eveything jives together.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Mine came with the non-homelink auto-dim but I upgraded to the Maz3 compass/temperature/homelink and installed it exactly the same way you did. My fogs co-exist fine with the mirror.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dunno wtf that was about. Everything's fine now. I was pretty nervous there for awhile tho, I'd hate to have a mirror start screwing with my electrical system! What did you do with the temperature sensor since the 6 already has one? I almost added that mirror to my 3 before I traded it in on the 6.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Believe it or not I didnt know the 6 had the outside temp sensor untill after I installed the new mirror. (Doh!) So now I just have both, but use the one on the mirror instead (easier to glance at) and leave the auto climate temp showing

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hahah, that's hilarious! I wonder why that AMB button is there anway, I never use it. I guess it's kinda cool to be able to switch back and forth between Farenheit and Celcius, but I never turn it all the way off. Here's some pictures of the finished product:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
There are three wires coming from my autodimming mirror. Two are solid black, and one is black w/ red stripe. I'm assuming that the black w/ red stripe is ground wire while the other two solid black are what is referred to above as the "wiring harness?"

I bought my autodimming mirror off ebay so I did not receive any connectors or anything of that nature. Thus, the steps quoted below are a tad bit vauge to me as I have no connectors. Any clarification would be appreciated. Thanks.

4.  Locate red wire with white stripe coming out of the top of the fusebox. Crimp red wiretap onto red w/ white stripe.

5. Locate ground bolt approximately 12" above fuse block.  This requires a good amount of contorting to reach.  Remove bolt with 10mm socket, place ground wire around bolt, and reinstall.

6. Connect wiring harness for mirror to crimped-on wiretap (wiretap is a female connector, harness is a matching male connector.)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Finally figured out what I was doing wrong. First of all there are two red w/ white stripe wires. For future references make sure you use the wire closest to the door. I was using the wrong wire. Also, the two black wires from the autodimming mirror are your ground wires, while the remaining black w/ red stripe is your positive which is crimped with the red /w white stripe wire.

Anyone have the zone setting instructions or know what zone I'm in? (Texas)
I agree with buckeye, it adds a nice touch to the interior :) . Thanks

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Did you get the autodimming mirror from mazda, or is this an aftermarket one. Im a little cautious about doing wiring as it is my achilles heel. But I agree it will definatly give my car a more upscale feel, I wish I got this when I bought the car.. DAMN

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Originally posted by smokeU6s@Jun 3 2005, 01:41 PM
Did you get the autodimming mirror from mazda, or is this an aftermarket one.  Im a little cautious about doing wiring as it is my achilles heel.  But I agree it will definatly give my car a more upscale feel,  I wish I got this when I bought the car.. DAMN
[snapback]423879[/snapback]​
I bought a Mazda autodimming mirror from ebay. I actually think there is one currently listed on ebay for about $200 dollars (autodimming and homelink.) But I don't see a reason why a different autodimming mirror wouldn't work as long as the mount is the same.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
My 6 came with the mirror that you are all talking about installing after market. The problem is, I have no instructions for it, so I have no idea what zone I am in or how to set the zone. Those of you who installed the mirror, would you mind telling me how to zone my mirror and what the different zones are? Thanks a million!

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Here in a european 6.
Appear that the frecuency of US dont work with the european

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Originally posted by glacierzoomer@Jun 6 2005, 05:25 PM
My 6 came with the mirror that you are all talking about installing after market. The problem is, I have no instructions for it, so I have no idea what zone I am in or how to set the zone. Those of you who installed the mirror, would you mind telling me how to zone my mirror and what the different zones are? Thanks a million!
[snapback]425790[/snapback]​
You hold the button with the compass on it to change the zones. I didn't have instructions either, but after a few days of messing with it I found a zone that told the true directions.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
i got the owner's manual for the mirror from mazdausa.com, so now i have the right zone...thanks tho

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi all

I just purchased what I was told was an autodim mirror with compass and homelink removed from a 2004 Mazda6. The mirror itself does indeed look identical to the one shown earlier in the thread, but I'm baffled by the base of it - it looks like I'm missing a part or something. Can somebody who has the homelink mirror please take a few pics of theirs from different angles so I can see what the base should look like?

For reference, here are three pictures of the mirror I have...

Front:
[attachmentid=8902]

Rear:
[attachmentid=8903]

Base with circuitboard (note small holes at edge of plastic base, that appear to be designed to snap onto something I don't have):
[attachmentid=8904]

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
So it's now time for my moron question...What does the autodim mirror do differently than the standard mirror? Does it dim headlights in the mirror? Sorry for rookie question but i've never understood what this did. Thanks

Justin

Edit: I just read the post two down from this one and answered my own question. I am awesome.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts