Mazda 6 Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
I'm sure I could figure how to wire it in without a kit, it's just that the mirror did not come with the connector to wire it in, this is what I'm working with View attachment 242798
Yea, but it only uses two wires for power and ground, so if youre "cheap" and wanna just solder wires to the pins i can shoot you a pic later.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
The A pillar cover has a one-time use clip near the top that retains if if the airbag fires. When you go to remove it you have to cut the plastic that holds the two pieces together after they separate (it's tight but you can get diags in there) and then it will come apart. But -- that clip has to be replaced once that's done, and you definitely don't want to NOT replace it because then if the airbag goes off with a cut or damaged clip you could eat that trim piece and I bet it won't taste good. The clip is not expensive; I bought a couple of them at the stealer in the event I needed to get in there again at some point in the future.

Note -- the battery should be disconnected when working with that wiring; if you manage to fire that bag in your face you won't like it, although the odds of setting it off are not very high. Nonetheless my rule when working around anything related to the airbags remains that I disconnect the battery first and give it 20 minutes or so for any capacitive energy storage to discharge. The other alternative for power is to go to the kick panel fuse block on the driver side on the left. There is both a full-time and switched power connection that is wanted by the mirror if I remember correctly. Going this route avoids having to remove the A pillar cover; "add-a-circuit" plugs are fine, and the amount of power required is very low.

On my 2015 there was a plug behind that cover that was an exact mate for the available installation kit; once I had the A-pillar cover off it was plug-n-play.

·
Registered
2018 - Touring - Titanium Flash Mica
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yea, but it only uses two wires for power and ground, so if youre "cheap" and wanna just solder wires to the pins i can shoot you a pic later.

Yeah I wouldn't be above doing that if I'm unable to find the correct wiring for the mirror so the pin-outs would be useful.

I did indeed research this somewhat extensively so I know about the dangers and I believe the install kit I bought contains the clip you are referring to. If I do need to wire in the mirror manually I may not even go through the A pillar and will probably end up using the add a circuit. I appreciate the responses thus far!

I'm going to see what "mazdaswag" responds and go from there. If they aren't any help I will try and find the wiring for the mirror elsewhere and if all else fails I will attempt to connect to the applicable pins manually.

In the meantime if anyone else has any further suggestions I appreciate it!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So I did find this which appears to be the correct harness. Looks like you are correct tickerguy, mirror needs constant 12v, ground, and switched 12v. This kit looks pretty useful for adding the mirror via add a circuit so I may be going this route depending on the response from "mazdaswag"

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
The other alternative for power is to go to the kick panel fuse block on the driver side on the left. There is both a full-time and switched power connection that is wanted by the mirror if I remember correctly. Going this route avoids having to remove the A pillar cover; "add-a-circuit" plugs are fine, and the amount of power required is very low.

On my 2015 there was a plug behind that cover that was an exact mate for the available installation kit; once I had the A-pillar cover off it was plug-n-play.

Do you happen to know what add a circuit to use? Looks like the fuses are low-profiles?

I ask because I've seen other threads stating certain ones don't fit but never found a definite answer on which one actually works.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I don't recall exactly which ones I used; I used them to tap power for a small Kenwood sub under the pax seat, and they worked out well and definitely fit.

I found a few threads on it on the Mazda3 forum that used the same ones I found on here so I'm assuming they should fit. Still no reply from Mazdaswag, I went ahead and ordered the harness I posted. I'll get a refund on the other kit most likely.

Has anyone done any probing on what fuses are constant 12v and what are switched? I can make some assumptions based on what they are but it'd be nice to save some time

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
She's in!

All is well. The harness from Welcome to Bob's Automotive Mirrors & More, LLC. - We provide you with quality mirrors, backup cameras & other accessories to upgrade your vehicle was the ticket. Can't speak more highly of them, quick shipping, great product. I ended up using the add a circuits as Mazdaswag never responded to my customer service email. Will have to try again for the refund for the kit I didn't use. Not only was the kit wrong for the mirror but I confirmed while I was running the Bob's harness that the Mazda harness does in fact NOT fit the 2018 (as was stated).

Really simple process, I did not see what the fuss was with the clip in the A pillar, I was able to both detach the tether and reattach with just my hands, both processes took seconds. Maybe I got lucky. One last thing, the ATT low profile mini fuse taps do not fit the Mazda box without modification. I had to trim some excess plastic on the tap with a Dremel to get it to seat. I've read that the ATM mini taps have longer blades and work better. All and all pretty straightforward once I figured out the stuff I needed. All together cost of about $98. Not bad!

Thanks everyone for the advice!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Just an update on this. Finally got a refund from Mazdaswag for the incorrect harness. Tried several times to contact them through their site (since no number to call) eventually had to file a claim through paypal - they ended up ruling in my favor. Would have been happy to return it per the normal process but oh well.

Just another reason to recommend bob's mirrors. Of course it's not a plug and play mazda harness but they'll have whatever one you need to connect to the mirror.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.