Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
The A pillar cover has a one-time use clip near the top that retains if if the airbag fires. When you go to remove it you have to cut the plastic that holds the two pieces together after they separate (it's tight but you can get diags in there) and then it will come apart. But -- that clip has to be replaced once that's done, and you definitely don't want to NOT replace it because then if the airbag goes off with a cut or damaged clip you could eat that trim piece and I bet it won't taste good. The clip is not expensive; I bought a couple of them at the stealer in the event I needed to get in there again at some point in the future.

Note -- the battery should be disconnected when working with that wiring; if you manage to fire that bag in your face you won't like it, although the odds of setting it off are not very high. Nonetheless my rule when working around anything related to the airbags remains that I disconnect the battery first and give it 20 minutes or so for any capacitive energy storage to discharge. The other alternative for power is to go to the kick panel fuse block on the driver side on the left. There is both a full-time and switched power connection that is wanted by the mirror if I remember correctly. Going this route avoids having to remove the A pillar cover; "add-a-circuit" plugs are fine, and the amount of power required is very low.

On my 2015 there was a plug behind that cover that was an exact mate for the available installation kit; once I had the A-pillar cover off it was plug-n-play.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.