Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I press the Auto button for the Automatic Climate Control, A/C light also comes on. When I press the A/C button, then the Auto function is disabled. WTF. It's getting pretty cold up here in the NE and I don't want to have A/C on when I want heat. I mean even though I get hot air with the A/C light on, I don't want to use up the refrigerant for no reason in the winter! Anybody noticed this?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
When I press the Auto button for the Automatic Climate Control, A/C light also comes on. When I press the A/C button, then the Auto function is disabled. WTF. It's getting pretty cold up here in the NE and I don't want to have A/C on when I want heat. I mean even though I get hot air with the A/C light on, I don't want to use up the refrigerant for no reason in the winter! Anybody noticed this?
[/b]
That's normal. It's even like that on my 6s. ACC won't enable unless A/C is enabled. Can't control the "climate" automatically without the ability to make it colder.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Just hit auto and be done with it. It's not actually running. Open your hood and look....or listen.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's normal. It's even like that on my 6s. ACC won't enable unless A/C is enabled. Can't control the "climate" automatically without the ability to make it colder.
[/b]
Thanx...I didn't realize this was covered already. Gotta do my searches better I guess.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Maybe the cars are different in Canada. But the auto function works in my car, after I push the AC button. If I play with the mode or fan settings than auto is dissabled.

As for running the AC in winter. Mazda recomends running the AC for a minimum time every month even in the winter to keep all the seals lubed.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
You know... I have a different question....

If I turn the temp up to max.. say 90 degrees.. and then click OFF... warm air blows out of the vents and continues to stay warm... if i turn the temp down to super low.. 60 degrees or whatever... cool air blows out...

What i'm wondering is... does the heater unit stay active even if the fan and everything are turned "off"...

·
Registered
489 Posts
You know... I have a different question....

If I turn the temp up to max.. say 90 degrees.. and then click OFF... warm air blows out of the vents and continues to stay warm... if i turn the temp down to super low.. 60 degrees or whatever... cool air blows out...

What i'm wondering is... does the heater unit stay active even if the fan and everything are turned "off"...
[/b]
The "heater unit" is nothing more than a radiator through which engine coolant flows and air from the exterior passes. The temperature selector simply operates a valve on the heater core coolant lines to control the amount of coolant that passes through the core. The temperature selector also varies an air mixing door that mixes air that passes through the heater core and the AC evaporator.

When the temperature selector is set to "hot", hot coolant flows through the heater core and the mixing door is fully set to pass air from the heater core only. Turning the system OFF does not change the position of the coolant valve or the mixing door. If the system is set to draw FRESH air, then outside air is automatically warmed because it passes through the heater core.

If you want to truly turn the entire HVAC off, you need to turn off not only the fan, but also set the system to RECIRC so that there's no air movement through the heater core.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
well said. it was the same in my 3 without automatic climate control. Sometimes it's actually nice to have just the air from outside "creeping" in instead of having the fan run...that's usually how i would have the system set during longer car rides

·
Registered
170 Posts
well said. it was the same in my 3 without automatic climate control. Sometimes it's actually nice to have just the air from outside "creeping" in instead of having the fan run...that's usually how i would have the system set during longer car rides
[/b]
Same here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts