Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know why the A/C light comes on evertime I turn on my auto climate comtrol even if I have it set to a warm temperature for heat? I just hit the A/C button, but it seems like it should not come on each time.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Reading Topic: Auto climate control question

It's not really telling you that the A/C compressor is running. It's more an "AC is ready if you need me" kind of alert.

I was driving today in 10 degree weather with my ACC set to 72 degrees. The AC light was on, but the AC compressor was most definitely not doing anything.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

With the ACC on, the AC will cycle on and off to keep the humidity levels inside the car down and help keep the windows from fogging. Even at 10 degrees.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replying to Topic 'Auto climate control question'

If I leave it on, will it drag down my gas mileage?
And does the compresor only come on when cooling is needed?

·
Registered
220 Posts

Yes. It does bring down your fuel mileage a little, more so if the car is still in break-in period. At 300 miles I was getting about 20 MPG and now at 2500 miles I'm at about 24MPG Hwy. Still using oxygenated fuel which also brings fuel mileage down...I'm about where I thought I would be.

·
Registered
262 Posts

Originally posted by cynder

Yes.  It does bring down your fuel mileage a little, more so if the car is still in break-in period.  At 300 miles I was getting about 20 MPG and now at 2500 miles I'm at about 24MPG Hwy.  Still using oxygenated fuel which also brings fuel mileage down...I'm about where I thought I would be.[/b]
That's better than what Mazda forecasted. Can't wait for the summer...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

still think it is kinda weird to have the a/c light on when I am using system for heat.

·
Registered
268 Posts

You can shut if off if you want with the heat. But beware that your windows tend to fog in humid snowy/rainy 30F-45F degree weather...especially in air recirculation mode.
Originally posted by txaginid

still think it is kinda weird to have the a/c light on when I am using system for heat.[/b]

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

Originally posted by txaginid

still think it is kinda weird to have the a/c light on when I am using system for heat.[/b]

*sigh* When the A/C light is on and you have it set to heat then it's only using the condenser. It's not actually producing or blowing cold air. Think of it as a sort of dehumidifier.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Even with a manual climate control system, if you switch the outlet to windshield defrost mode, the A/C light comes on. I'm speaking from my experience with my 626 and Protege.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts