Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MAy be the dumbest question to date here, lol
I use the auto climate control almost every time, and when I hit it on, the A/C light comes on, and is indicated on the dash thing as "Auto A/C" or something like that... Basically, is the A/C compressor working when the light is on? It's obviously winter time, and there is no need for A/C, so I hit it off every time.. If I can help not losing power/gas mileage, that would be good to know..
Thanx :laugh:

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
QUOTE (cfdp @ Feb 3 2010, 02:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1634525
MAy be the dumbest question to date here, lol
I use the auto climate control almost every time, and when I hit it on, the A/C light comes on, and is indicated on the dash thing as "Auto A/C" or something like that... Basically, is the A/C compressor working when the light is on? It's obviously winter time, and there is no need for A/C, so I hit it off every time.. If I can help not losing power/gas mileage, that would be good to know..
Thanx :laugh:[/b]
Answer is yes the Auto control needs AC on to be able to run the temps down or defog. The compressor doesn't actually stay on unless the AAT is below 30 deg or something similar. I don't remember the exact temp right now. No problem with you turning it off in cold weather though. Just make sure the outside/recirc air is always set to outside air unless on MAX AC in the hot summer. Otherwise you trrap all the moist air in the car and fog up your windows.....

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
yeah, it runs, but the goal is to dehumidify the air, not to cool the air. Can't speak for you yankees, but down south anything to cut humidity is a GOOD thing, any time of year!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I'll keep it off during the winter, and on in the summer, cuz I can't stand being too hot... :cool:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Yes, auto defaults to AC on and it is always on anytime the defrost, or heat/defrost setting is used (even though the light is not on). I just switch mine off in cooler weather when it is dry out...mostly because I hate the compressor cycling. It makes these cars clunky feeling around town with the manual transmission.

·
Registered
58 Posts
QUOTE (zoomnbyu @ Feb 4 2010, 11:18 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1634834
Yes, auto defaults to AC on and it is always on anytime the defrost, or heat/defrost setting is used (even though the light is not on). I just switch mine off in cooler weather when it is dry out...mostly because I hate the compressor cycling. It makes these cars clunky feeling around town with the manual transmission.[/b]
I was beginning to think my car was special with the A/C cycling. An off light should indicate the A/C is in fact off! :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts