Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Aussie screen savers'

God, Aussies...did you know? You have the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car...:D

What do these countries have in common:
* Australia
* Japan
* UK

They DRIVE IN THE WRONG SIDE OF THE STREET... :D

Which reminds me of a story.

An old lady from Sweden went down to Germany and was driving on the Autobahn. She had the strange feeling something was wrong, so she turned on the radio.

On the radio, at precisely that moment, there was a traffic warning. The speaker urged drivers on the autobahn to be extremely careful since there was a crazy driver going the wrong way.

"One?" the old lady yelled. "There must be thousands!!!!"

:)

·
Registered
510 Posts

:D :D
Steve,

Yeah, we drive on the left hand side of the road on the right side of the car !!!!
Right !

I think it's to do with Australia being originally an English convict colony, so we have to follow their lead.

I am not sure why Japan have right hand drive vehicles, Maybe as they started building cars prior to WW2, just to P*ss off the rest of the world !!

I wouldn't want to go to America or Europe. I would be turning on the Wipers when I want to use the indicators & for me it would be tricky to use the shifter with my right hand. PLus I might end up like that old Lady......:sarc !!

Rod

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by RodneyJ

:D :D  
Steve,

Yeah, we drive on the left hand side of the road on the right side of the car !!!!  
Right !

I think it's to do with Australia being originally an English convict colony, so we have to follow their lead.

I am not sure why Japan have right hand drive vehicles, Maybe as they started building cars prior to WW2, just to P*ss off the rest of the world !!

I wouldn't want to go to America or Europe. I would be turning on the Wipers when I want to use the indicators & for me it would be tricky to use the shifter with my right hand. PLus I might end up like that old Lady......:sarc  !!

Rod[/b]
You mean left, right? Right! No left! (Quote from a film with my favorite comedian John Cleese, I don't know the title in english. Cleese is a headmaster going to a conference where he has to hold a thank-you speech...)

I understand your fear of right-hand traffic. I share the same fear for left-hand traffic...

However, if you are a right-handed person, then I would assume shifting with the right (!) hand would come very easy to you...

:D

·
Registered
510 Posts

AH !!! Steve ........

Thats a Good One !! :D :hoho :p

No actually I'm Ambidexturous !!! (Spelling probably incorrect !!)

You Cheeky Fellow !!

Rod

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

No actually I'm Ambidexturous !!!  (Spelling probably incorrect !!)
Rod[/b]
Great! Then if your left hand is busy and you have only one hand left, then using the right hand would be the right move, and the only choice left, right?

·
Registered
510 Posts

Hi Steve,

Well I guess I could always use my feet as well.............especially for counting to 20 !!

Matt,

The picture you have posted is of the Luxury Sports Hatch Model, which is top of the range in Australia.......there are 3 hatch models available.....

My car is the Luxury Model, which doesn't have the body kit or the Fog Lamps or rear spoiler, but the rest of the spec is the same as the Luxury Sport Model. It is the middle model. YOu can also get a base model hatch called the "classic"

Hoping this helps..

Rod

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Hi Steve,

Well I guess I could always use my feet as well.............especially for counting to 20 !!

Rod[/b]
Now that would be to complicate things, wouldn't it??:D

·
Registered
510 Posts

:sarc

Hi Steve,

Yes, it is such a complicated life we live.......(LOL!!)

But we try to have fun along the way !!!!!

Rod

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

:sarc  

Hi Steve,

Yes,  it is such a complicated life we live.......(LOL!!)

But we try to have fun along the way !!!!!

Rod[/b]
Indeed. And you and I, we'll both have our share of fun. In a few weeks, only...

We have our own contest. Who'll get his 6 hatchback first - you or me??

Either way, we both win!!:D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Reading Topic: Aussie screen savers

You missed some right drive countries: Ireland, Cayman Islands, Cyprus, New Zealand, South Africa, India, Bahamas, Pakistan, Bermuda, Virgin Islands, Zimbabwe, Antique and some others I can't quite remember.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

No, we didn't miss them. We just didn't care... :)

Thanks for pointing it out, though!

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts
Reading Topic: Aussi

As far as I remember Sweden used to be a right drive country as well (or did they drive on the left hand side of the road??? :D). I saw a documentary about it with some amusing pictures. At noon everyone changed lanes. On commando. :)

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Yes, that is true. It was 1967 - the year I was born, I think. After a huge (I mean huge) media campaign that reached everyone like a million times, on 04.00 in the morning we went from right drive to left drive. The pics are pretty amusing.

That night all traffic were prohibited in the entire country except for some with special permission. And exactly 04.00 the had to park on the left side of the road and on command (from the radio) carefully move the vehicle to the other side of the road.

That night they repainted all roadmarkings, exchanged and moved road signs all over the nation...

Pretty cool, if u ask me.

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts
Reading Topic: Readi

That's a huge infrastructural and logistic achievement I must say. Respect!

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Aussie screen savers

Yeah, I agree. And the best thing: we're driving on the right side of the road now! (In every aspect of the word...)

:)

·
Registered
683 Posts

And here I thought that all the countries in Europe drove on the left... does this mean that one could presumably import a mazda 6 hatch from sweden? hmmm There should not be that much to change other than some emissions and switching the gage cluster from kilometers to mph.

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Aussie screen savers

I don't think that they had the Mazda6 hatch back in 1976 :D (or should I say hatchback back in 1976???)

That's when it all happened. Now the Swedish drive like all decent continental Europeans on the right side of the lane. :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
8 Participants
Steve 6er
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing