Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright... I've been having this recurring problem since yesterday....

I have the AudioLink USB MP3 kit from RPM, and I've had it since around July 17th '06. Yesterday, on my way to class, 2 speakers just randomly SHUT OFF on me. Music was only coming out of the left speakers. After class, I went back to the car, and it was working just fine.. wtf?

Today, on my way home from work, the same exact thing happened... I moved the balance over to R8, and I heard the music at a verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry low volume, and it was really crackling. I shut off, and turned the radio back on, and that didn't work. I shut the car off, and then turned it back on, and still didn't work. I also switched the radio to FM, and all 4 speakers worked fine. :wtf:

Has anyone ever had this problem before? I'm sure a lot of you guys out there are using this kit as well.

I'm an audiophile, and it really irritates me when things like this happen. :banghead:

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I just wonder if it happens to have some loose contact on the device? First thing I would try is to connect some other device through its AUX input see if the problem still there...I assume you are connecting the device through the USB port.

If the problem is still there my only advice is to try to get to the back of the headunit see if its socket comes loose. If every connection along the path of the cable is fine, if all this fails then I think you can only seek help from RPM see if they can send the unit back for a checkup.

If the AUX input is working fine, then it could be the USB part or your MP3 device the culprit.

Hope this helps.

[edit]...just read your 2nd post about the 1/8" jack, then it is some loose contact on the cable. It shouldn't be too hard to fix even if RPM doens't warrant it which I doubt anyway.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Strangely enough, when I was investigating, I noticed that BOTH the 1/8" and the USB ports did the same thing. When I took the unit out from the HU, I noticed that the orange wire was loose from the plug, so I put it back in, then reconnected everything, and tried it again..... Still one-sided. I emailed RPM just now, so I'm just hoping there's a warranty on this thing. I'm probably gonna re-connect this thing, and try it again, cuz it's just been eating at me.. I hate CD's. I have a 20GB mp3 player, with 950 tracks, and now I'm reduced to a 700MB CD w/ 20. Arghhhh!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
When you say the orange wire is loose, do you mean it comes right off from the metal clip inside? or the whole wire with the clip comes off together? And how do you put it back in?

Normally for sound that comes on and off from either side of the speakers randomly it usually has to do with loose connections somewhere along the signal path. But the hardest part sometimes is to locate where the loose part is at.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, so far, I've figured that it has to be after the circuit board, since both connections don't work.

As for the orange wire, it was the whole wire, w/ the clip, it just came straight out, so I put it back in, and now it doesn't budge.

As for my mp3 player, it still works 100%. What I used to do was listen to music while driving, then when I get to school, I switch to my headphones, and walk to class.

I guess I'll just reinstall it tomorrow, and see what happens. Hopefully by then, RPM would have sent a reply.

·
Premium Member
4,155 Posts
We received your PM. We will replace the unit for you, as it does seem to be defective. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.