Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up the AudioLink to use an IPOD in the speed6. One question for anyone that has already done this. Is there room to route the cable out of the cupholder? I don't see too much clearance and if you do route it through the crease in the cover will that constrict the ability to open/close it? Any help/suggestion would be greatly appreciated! :drive:

·
Registered
493 Posts
I picked up the AudioLink to use an IPOD in the speed6. One question for anyone that has already done this. Is there room to route the cable out of the cupholder? I don't see too much clearance and if you do route it through the crease in the cover will that constrict the ability to open/close it? Any help/suggestion would be greatly appreciated! :drive:
[/b]
It seems like the armrest was designed with this in mind. If you lift the mat in the upper compartment there is a circular plate that pops out - or you can route the cable out the indent in the lower compartment.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You dont need to pop that circular piece out, it rotates to make an opening for electrical cords. Check your owners manual

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
yeah that cirular piece was "meant" for cell phones cords to go through.

In the bottom section of the arm rest there is a grate, see if you can squeeze the wire through that and if that doesnt work then just break/cut off a piece till it does.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I ran mine through the grate and then up into the top portion of the armrest.

But, the cable wasn't long enough for my kids to view the iPod from the backseat.

So, I ran it through the e brake lever opening. I lay the cord down next to the driver's seat when not in use, and put the iPod in one of the cupholder openings when in use.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the cable long enough to reach the armrest? I thought I read somewhere here that it wasn't quite long enough.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Is the cable long enough to reach the armrest? I thought I read somewhere here that it wasn't quite long enough.
[/b]
It just reaches to here in my MS6, but you can't really pull the iPod out of the tray without unplugging it:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I too ran mine up through the E-brake slot. It gives me plenty of length, and I can place it on my seat, in the glove box where ever. Plus I love this thing it sounds so good, and works great.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I too ran mine up through the E-brake slot. It gives me plenty of length, and I can place it on my seat, in the glove box where ever. Plus I love this thing it sounds so good, and works great.
[/b]
Pics of cable run through the e-brake slot?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Currently mine is in the arm rest, but I used a mini din extension cable so I can put my ipod where ever I want it without worrying about stressing the cable.

I can keep it in the cup holders, a passenger can take it out, on my lap, etc...

A worthwhile investment.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Question .... i got my audiolink yesterday, probably will install it today. I ordered the one that also has the 1/8 mini plug on it expecting to to be an input, like the ipod connector, in the event that i wanted to plug in my laptop, so someone in the passanger seat had a different mp3 device they wanted to use. On the RPM website it appeared as though the 1/8 plug was wired int he same manner as the ipod connector. Now that i have it, the 1/8 mini plug comes out of the connector opposite the ipod plug. I know the appearance doesn't really mean anything since the wiring is covered up, but now i'm not sure if the 1/8 mini plug is an input that will go into my stereo, or an output from the ipod? Anyone else have this adapter and can help me with some info?

edit:
here's a picture of the cable
[attachmentid=15561]

Attachments

·
Registered
489 Posts
The miniplug is an input to the stereo, not an output from the iPod. When using the input, the iPod must be disconnected, or the sound will be distorted.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The 1/8 mini plug is 'input'.
Use it to listen to other MP3 players, cell phone w/MP3, laptops to listen to videos/DVD, etc.

·
Registered
195 Posts
thanks for the replies. I bought it with the intent of using it as an input, but then i saw the way the cable was made i was unsure.

I'm going to use an extension to run the mini plug into the armrest, and from there it can reach either the passanger seat or the back seat. The ipod itself will be mounted in the location shown below .... any ideas on which way i should route the wire to this location?

[attachmentid=15571]

I was goign to make a hole in the black plastic above the cigarette lighter, but now that i have the cable, i think the hole will be to big, or bigger than i want it to be. So, any other ideas before i put this in on saturday?

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
It just reaches to here in my MS6, but you can't really pull the iPod out of the tray without unplugging it:

[/b]
did you have to cut any of the pieces on that metal grate to fit the audio link through?

and where did you guys all mount the audio link box?

·
Registered
64 Posts
i used to have my ipod and XM unit in the arm rest, yes you do, or i did have to cut out a few of the pieces in the grate. The box rested just below the cupholders. NOW i have the ipod in the armrest and the XM in the map box, i had to put an extension cable on the 1/8th" end to make it reach to the map box, the audiolink box is still below the cup holders. Its pretty easy to route the cable around, lots of room. HAVE FUN!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi,

I mounted the Ipod in the cupholder since I wanted to be able to read the dislay of the Ipod. In the armrest this is impossible, or at least difficult. I cut away the cupholders with a Dremel tool. If you like I can post some pictures later.

George

·
Registered
195 Posts
Well, Like i already said, the ipod is going in this location:

[attachmentid=15600]

This is because the metal bracket shown is specifically made for the M6, and it goes inbetween the dash panels and screws in on the inside, so there is no modification to the dashboard itself. I got a Bracketron ipod holder that will be mounted to the metal bracket shown. I also got a 6ft mini extension, which will run to the center arm rest. I was looking at the interior yesterday and there is an opening in the passanger footwell, where the dashboard plastic ends, and the carpet comes out from behind. I'll probably bring the ipod connector out from there and run it up along the edge of the glovebox.

This should all be done saturday, I'll post pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Well, the bracket and the audio link are finally installed. Took a bit longer than i expected, as there are extra steps to remove the console in the 2005 Atx. The final part ... which will be ... this one arrives on tuesday.

[attachmentid=15623]

the mount has a fully adjustable swivel base one it, and will attach to the bracket sticking out of my dashboard, shown here.

[attachmentid=15624]

and here it is with the ipod belt clip holding it to the bracket ... until tuesday

[attachmentid=15625]

and in the dark ...

[attachmentid=15626]

The audio link box is in the glove box, with the ipod connector running out the back of the glove box adn tot he ipod where you see it, and the mini plug runs down behing the HU, undter the ATX shirfer, under the cup holders, and up into the the center arm rest, with enough cord left to reach all the way to the back of the car.

A few different steps in removing the HU in a 2005 ATX... on a car without the auto climate control, the knobs pull off, and then under both the left and right knob there is a screw that has to come out, to remove the ash tray from the part where the shifter is there is a screw under each side, and to remove the LED from the back of the ash tray, there are 2 screws holding a white plate that the led is mounted on, unscrew then and there is no need to pull on the led to get it out, which will most likely break it. Oh, and the part on the right side of the glove box, the extender arm piece ... and a retracting cord, not a plastic arm. the end can be unlooped from the connector on the glove box, and it will retract into the dash, but no so far that you cannot get it to pull back out. If i knew this was gonna be different that the write up i looked at to remove the dash i would have taken pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an '06 6 with Nav and Bose. Will this work with it?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts