Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You'll have to check for all my previous posts to see all the work that I've done. In short:

- Scosche 4-ch LOC (however, splitting front amp twice)
- Kenwood 4x40 watt amp power two front speakers and subwoofer
- Cadence 5 1/4" components up front w/ dynomat
- Kenwood 6x8" components in the rear powered by stock amp (front channels)
- Custom cut front tweeter mounts, angled 60+ degrees towards cabin
- Rear tweeters mounted on the side mounts of the front seats, facing up
- Custom -6db attenuation circuit for front tweeters to balance them
- 12" Infinity subwoofer installed in spare tire well using a custom baffel

The sound is absolutely great. It's taken a long, long time to finally tweak the sound into sounding this good. The clarity of my home stereo certainly isn't there, but I wouldn't expect that from a car. Frequency response is great, and very balanced. There's no more raspy sound- all music sounds good. Imaging is even ok- something I didn't think I'd be able to get from the stock head unit.

All-in-all, I'm so completely impressed, I may just stop. I really need to rebuild the subwoofer baffel to allow more travel, but already it's enough to shake the car. I'm only limiting its dynamic range, preventing more punch at higher volume. If anyone's in the area, you can have a listen. As for me, I couldn't be much happier.

Virtually everything was off of eBay. Total cost: about $300. Of course, I experimented with so much other stuff, I have a few hundred worth of inventory waiting to be resold on eBay.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Reading Topic: Audio update - I think I'm done

Where did you get the custom baffel at?

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts

Lowes or Home Depot :D

From what I remember he built it himself out of wood.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Audio update - I think I'm done'

What was the final tweak for removing the raspiness? The attenuator on the tweet?

I have JL Audio 500.1 amp for the sub and JL Audio 300.4 for the fronts (bridged). Front speakers are component Boston Pro's (6.5). The car is scheduled to go back to Sound Advice in Altamonte Springs, Florida on Tuesday to have the crossover adjusted to (-6 db) for the tweets.

I've been with you on this one, looking for a solution for the "raspies."

Please let me know what finally did it, or whether it was a combination.

THANKS!!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

It was just the attenuation circuit. It reduces the volume of the tweeter to what it should be.

The raspiness is a spike the occurs right where the tweeter takes over from the woofer- usually between 2000-5000hz. A 6db spike from the woofer's volume sounds unnatural, and will cause the raspiness that you hear. It also makes any harshness much more easily heard (and there is a little harshness to the head unit, but tolerably so). Turning the treble down on the head unit reduces the treble at 10,000hz, so you still get your spike at 2-5khz. The only way to fix this is a proper attenuation circuit so that the woofer and tweeter are playing at the same volume.

I highly, highly recommend getting an SPL meeter from radio shack if you're serious about car audio. Run a frequency sweep to ensure all frequencies are playing at the exact same volume.

Likewise, the subwoofer box was key in getting flat bass response. With the sub facing the rear, it was too boomy (huge ~60hz peak); but with the new location it sounds flat down to about 50hz and tapers off a bit from there (possibly running out of excursion). Peaks are only good for winning SPL competitions- they otherwise ruin music. The sub would sound too loud (boomy) on songs with 60hz bass and too quiet on songs that don't go so low, or on songs that have a varying bass line. Instead, it now sounds like a continuation of the woofers in the car's doors- which is EXACTLY what a subwoofer should do.

·
Registered
405 Posts

You are the man!

My Boston pro's have the attenuation circuit built into the cross-over, going into the tweeter. So by reducing 6db's, I should be OK. I'll let you know after Tuesday. If you're ever in the Orlando area, I owe you a lunch, Stretchsje.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Great! I'm visiting Orlando from August 7th-16th. You can meet me at the Coronado Springs Resort.

Just remember- all speakers are different, so the attenuation circuit may not be the fix for yours. Though, since it sounds like we have the same problem, I'd bet this is a safe bet for a fix.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Stretch, we should meet up sometime. I'd like to hear your finished set-up. The plan tomorrow for me is to map out the wiring for the Bose system and proceed from there. Soon comes the money part and I really don't have alot to spend right now. My project may never take off....

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Mitch- how's it sound? Give us an update.

Kyler- sure thing. I PM'd you.

·
Registered
405 Posts

Hey Stretch:

See my other post.....I put an Alpine in the glovebox. Sounds like a real audio system now. Pictures to follow.:D

·
Registered
238 Posts

Hey Stretch, They pictures of what looks like a Mazda get together on your cardomain site, I noticed a lot of Jersey plates. Where was this and when?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts